• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicconnect Feb Auction

357 posts in this topic

In the next Comicconnect auction. :cloud9: Obviously removed from a bound set, does anyone recall seeing a set of early bound MMC issues before? Is this a file copy? The cover colors look pretty well preserved but the PQ appears to be brittle.

Mar1OctoberCC2013.jpg

Well the listing description is up and this certainly adds a little "cache" to this book. Blank interior covers is very interesting, I don't recall this ever being discussed here before. Adds a little fuel to the whole two print run debate, no?

This is the book that started it all for what would eventually become Marvel Comics. The first appearance of the Human Torch by Carl Burgos, the Angel by Paul Gustavson, Ka-Zar Ben Thompson and the first appearance of the Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett. Sci-Fi artist Frank R. Paul painted the cover showcasing the first time the Human Torch flames on. The first comic published by Timely as well as several extremely key first appearances, Marvel Comics 1 is consistently noted as one of the top 5 most valuable and important comics of all time. Without it, the Marvel universe as we know it would not exist. As the Marvel movies gain in popularity the importance of this comic will increase exponentially.

Lloyd Jacquet's company Funnies, Inc. produced hundreds of Golden Age comics including Marvel Comics #1. The image you are looking at is a rare piece of comic book history. This Marvel #1 is a Lloyd Jacquet Publisher's Proof Copy. The interiors of the front and back cover are completely blank which denote it as being from a hand-cut pre-publication proof sheet and making this comic truly unique.

Adding to the value and rarity of this Publisher Proof Copy of Marvel Comics 1 is the fact that it is also the extremely rare 1st printing October version of Marvel Comics #1. When Marvel Comics 1 was originally printed there were approximately 90,000 October copies made. They sold out rather quickly and a 2nd print run was ordered. Instead of making a new cover, a black circle was placed over Oct. and Nov. was printed above it. There were approximately 800,000 copies of the 2nd printing November version made.

It should be noted that the highest graded copy of Marvel Comics 1, the Pay Copy, also originating from Jacquet's offices, was a November copy.

We first viewed this book over 15 years ago right after it was removed from a Lloyd Jacquet Publisher's bound volume. We were blown away by it then and we are still blown away by it now. We are extremely proud to offer this copy of Marvel Comics 1. This Proof Copy has in pencil an "X" at the top of the page of the Sub-Mariner and Angel stories.

When I graded the October Marvel Comics #1 File Copy I saw a lot of hand-written notes in the margins. Most of the notes had to do with color changes that they wanted to make in the panel. Because I knew the book would be in a holder and probably never cracked open, I wrote down all the notes and what pages the notes were on. Unfortunately when I left CGC those notes seem to have disappeared. :sorry:

I always wanted to compare an October copy to a November copy to see if those color changes were implemented on the November copies.

When I graded the October Marvel Comics #1 File Copy I saw a lot of hand-written notes in the margins. Most of the notes had to do with color changes that they wanted to make in the panel. Because I knew the book would be in a holder and probably never cracked open, I wrote down all the notes and what pages the notes were on. Unfortunately when I left CGC those notes seem to have disappeared. :sorry:

I always wanted to compare an October copy to a November copy to see if those color changes were implemented on the November copies.

any cover notes?

mmc1001-2.jpg

For the really big books, I would be happy to pay extra to CGC to document in detail all their notes, or even to take photos of each page. When a guy pays five, six or even seven figures for a book, what's a little extra money to have a photographic record of the unseeable insides?

any cover notes?

mmc1001-2.jpg

No cover notes, all the changes were interior panels. I remember most of them being in the Human Torch story. I kind of remember one was a car color change and one was a man's suit, color change from red to green or green to red. In total I think there was about 10-15 changes.

We first viewed this book over 15 years ago right after it was removed from a Lloyd Jacquet Publisher's bound volume. We were blown away by it then and we are still blown away by it now. We are extremely proud to offer this copy of Marvel Comics 1. This Proof Copy has in pencil an "X" at the top of the page of the Sub-Mariner and Angel stories.

Awesome. I was thinking it was from that bound set. PQ for those books was a touch on the dark side but still, amazing provenence.

No cover notes, all the changes were interior panels. I remember most of them being in the Human Torch story. I kind of remember one was a car color change and one was a man's suit, color change from red to green or green to red. In total I think there was about 10-15 changes.

That is what I heard as well.

I too have always wanted to compare my November copy when I owned it to an October but never came across one.

It's impossible to compare your picture (which is terrible in quality, BTW) to a scan of a comic. Even different scanners will make the book look differently from one to the next.

It's probably also not reasonably fair to compare memory, as often times memory is the least reliable of evidence.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm simply saying that there are too many variables for an accurate visual comparison based on what you've written.

As far as restoration, I believe CC will offer a money back guarantee if restoration is found on the book.

I've got one book I bought from them that came back CT. So far, they haven't responded to me on that issue, but they haven't responded on a lot of issues, so I don't know if they are not responding to the restoration or just not to me in general.

I'd have to agree with c-mack, ComicConnect offers a 10 day return policy, but they would fight you with all their might. It would be like trying to recover the last piece of cheese stolen away by a team of rats after nuclear winter.

Not only that, the onus would be on you to prove it in the allotted time. Sounds like a pretty steep uphill battle to me. :tonofbricks:

I actually didn't realize it was only a 10 day guarantee.

Here's what they say on the Metro site:

UNRESTORED GUARANTEE: Metropolis guarantees that only books described as restored are restored. Before buying please read the comments field for the comic(s) you are interested in. In the rare case you discover a book Metropolis sold you as unrestored is restored Metropolis will give you a 100% refund within the first 30 days. After 30 days Metropolis offers a store credit redeemable toward any comic book purchase. This policy does not extend to any books that contain comments indicating any type or form of restoration. We consider books graded by CGC and placed into a blue, Universal holder to be unrestored. Customers are responsible for any expenses incurred in the discovery of restoration or shipping costs.

Edited to add: Just noticed that this paragraph is missing from the similar page on the CC section of their site. So maybe it is just a 10-day return policy on their auctions.

I for one cannot trust ComicConnect. Metro is bad enough ("Rip-Awful-Us Collectibles...We loathe you, but we smile, we dare to screw you for being a sucker. Now, how much pain do you think you can stand? Never mind, that's what we're here to find out..."), with the way CC works, it is really like dealing with Satan himself. ( :devil: )

HA is one thing, ok, I can deal with them, but CC is in a class all its own. Their site makes chills run up and down my spine. Brings to mind Electric Light Orchestra's 'Fire on High' on the Album 'Face the Music. It sounds like demons talking, and you know, you spin it backwards on a turntable and it clearly says "the music is reversible, but time is not... turn back... turn back... turn... back"

Anyway, that's my 2c I'll stop now, before I am too far :signofftopic:

:grin:

What's your real name?