• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annoyance with Ebay buy it now / best offer

37 posts in this topic

It annoys me when sellers don't respond to an Ebay best offer. I don't mind a counter offer or declining the offer, but sellers should respond in some way. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's rude when the seller doesn't respond. There's one seller who does this all the time -- it makes you wonder why he gives the best offer option at all -- and I've stopped buying from him. Also, often nowadays if I don't get a response one way or another within 24 hours or so, I retract the best offer and move on to another seller.

I use best offer from time to time as a buyer, and I think they have 48 hours to respond? I think sometimes they are waiting for a better offer, and I don't blame them. What's the hurry? That's what buy it now is for.

It annoys me when sellers don't respond to an Ebay best offer. I don't mind a counter offer or declining the offer, but sellers should respond in some way. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's rude when the seller doesn't respond. There's one seller who does this all the time -- it makes you wonder why he gives the best offer option at all -- and I've stopped buying from him. Also, often nowadays if I don't get a response one way or another within 24 hours or so, I retract the best offer and move on to another seller.

Are putting in offers so low that they are boarderline offensive?

(thumbs u

Even if the seller thinks it's a lowball offer, why not at least decline?

When I get a counteroffer that shows little movement from the offer price, I always either counter or decline -- seems to me like the polite way to do things, instead of just ignoring the other person

the seller is probably assuming that the lowballer is not seriously interested in paying a reasonable market price just trolling for people who are desperate, so ignoring the offer avoids having to deal with the two subsequent slightly less lowball, but still not market, offers.

When I make an offer I include a message as to my reason for the ammount (cite recent sales, trends, condition opinions etc) so they know I thought about the ammount before putting it out there, as opposed to someone offering $80 on a $200 book...

now I'd also say the seller can avoid the bother by including auto-reject (and auto-accept) guidelines to avoid having to battle with the onslaught of lowball offers....

I use best offer from time to time as a buyer, and I think they have 48 hours to respond? I think sometimes they are waiting for a better offer, and I don't blame them. What's the hurry? That's what buy it now is for.

+1

As for the quality of offers, for every low ball buyer on eBay there is a delusional seller offended by reasonable offers. So its a wash. 2c

When I sell things using BIN/BO I set the auto decline, and I appreciate it when sellers do it too. This way both parties can see immediately if a deal is possible.

Yeah because I absolutely want to deal with someone that sends a best offer at 12am EST and then when I am finally able to check my email around noon or access eBay to reply, I find a second note sent at ten complaining I didn't respond quick enough.

This may be hard for some buyers to deal with but there is a 48 hr window of response since buyers and sellers love in different areas across planet Earth.

I ignore offers at or lower than half off. They can't send in another during that 48 hour period and that can be bliss.

On a reasonable but still not in my ballpark offer, I respond with my bottom line so they know where I stand.

I once got an offer and then 2 hours later the guy was like "Are you going to respond?" It worked out but was kind of funny.

A buddy once told me that he got a ridiculously low offer, ignored it and then happened to sell it later that day for a reasonable offer to someone else. 1st offer guy sent a note asking if book was pulled off sale because of humiliatingly low offer by him :roflmao:

Patience is a virtue.

... since buyers and sellers love in different areas across planet Earth.

truer words were never spoken buzz

:blush:

Even when I don't try, my words are philosophical

I have a book up right now. Some guy "offered" me $80 for ASM #38 (1st series) CGC 7.5 including free shipping to the U.K.

Normally I just say thanks but no thanks to a offer, but for this one I was a little more...Direct.

Set your listing to auto decline offers under a certain amount. Saves time and aggravation.