• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annoyance with Ebay buy it now / best offer

37 posts in this topic

Here is maybe a first, about a month ago, I had a buyer offer me $5.00 on a $199.00 item, I am always notified on my iPad. I clicked on it and right away declined it with no comment. Any normal buyer who makes an offer is done with it and moves on, but not this one. I get a message that I was to quick to decline it and should of thought about it some more to think or consider it. I guess he was insulted that it took me 13 seconds to decline him, then I blocked him.

Yeah because I absolutely want to deal with someone that sends a best offer at 12am EST and then when I am finally able to check my email around noon or access eBay to reply, I find a second note sent at ten complaining I didn't respond quick enough.

This may be hard for some buyers to deal with but there is a 48 hr window of response since buyers and sellers love in different areas across planet Earth.

I once had an eBayer send a best offer that was $600 lower than my asking, and in the note they put 'how am I doing?" I didn't reply, but immediately declined the offer. Within a few hours they sent two more offers and they eventually hit the number. Kind of reminds me of the golden age of communication and caveman language - in my experience saying nothing and sending an immediate decline worked like a club over a caveman's shoulder.

I use best offer from time to time as a buyer, and I think they have 48 hours to respond? I think sometimes they are waiting for a better offer, and I don't blame them. What's the hurry? That's what buy it now is for.

The seller's risk with waiting is the buyer can retract the offer -- so it works both ways, if the buyer sees a better deal before the seller has accepted the offer, the buyer can retract the first offer and buy the 2nd book

now I'd also say the seller can avoid the bother by including auto-reject (and auto-accept) guidelines to avoid having to battle with the onslaught of lowball offers....

I agree, the auto-reject would take care of this issue -- I just think the seller should make SOME response, instead of ignoring the offer.

It annoys me when sellers don't respond to an Ebay best offer. I don't mind a counter offer or declining the offer, but sellers should respond in some way. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's rude when the seller doesn't respond. There's one seller who does this all the time -- it makes you wonder why he gives the best offer option at all -- and I've stopped buying from him. Also, often nowadays if I don't get a response one way or another within 24 hours or so, I retract the best offer and move on to another seller.

Wouldn't the rejection adequately send the message? Maybe I'm missing something. This isn't a conversation---this is a bid/offer and acceptance/rejection. Sounds more or less binary.

Now, if you were to say you sent a message to him AFTER the rejection and he didn't respond then I'd agree with you. I've done that to find out how amenable the seller is in adjusting the price, so I can determine if I need to waste any more of my time or not.

It annoys me when sellers don't respond to an Ebay best offer. I don't mind a counter offer or declining the offer, but sellers should respond in some way. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's rude when the seller doesn't respond. There's one seller who does this all the time -- it makes you wonder why he gives the best offer option at all -- and I've stopped buying from him. Also, often nowadays if I don't get a response one way or another within 24 hours or so, I retract the best offer and move on to another seller.

Wouldn't the rejection adequately send the message? Maybe I'm missing something. This isn't a conversation---this is a bid/offer and acceptance/rejection. Sounds more or less binary.

Now, if you were to say you sent a message to him AFTER the rejection and he didn't respond then I'd agree with you. I've done that to find out how amenable the seller is in adjusting the price, so I can determine if I need to waste any more of my time or not.

:applause:

Are putting in offers so low that they are boarderline offensive?

Even if the seller thinks it's a lowball offer, why not at least decline?

When I get a counteroffer that shows little movement from the offer price, I always either counter or decline -- seems to me like the polite way to do things, instead of just ignoring the other person

Because it wastes time. Some sellers just put in automatic limits which makes it much easier. If its a low ball offer most sellers wont even take the time to reply. Why would they? Its not a polite thing its a time thing. Why waste 2 min of their life answering a No to an offer that is low anyway.

Retracting an offer takes is just as time consuming. I don't think I have ever retracted a buy offer or seen one retracted as a seller.

I guess some people didn't understand my original post. My problem is not when the seller counters, or rejects -- it's when he/she doesn't do anything and the offer just expires. To me, that's impolite and a waste of time, as I have to wait 48 hours to see what the seller does. Instead of doing that, sometimes I'll withdraw the offer after about a day, especially if a better listing comes up.

I guess some people didn't understand my original post. My problem is not when the seller counters, or rejects -- it's when he/she doesn't do anything and the offer just expires. To me, that's impolite and a waste of time, as I have to wait 48 hours to see what the seller does. Instead of doing that, sometimes I'll withdraw the offer after about a day, especially if a better listing comes up.

I don't know what to tell you then. You entered a best offer type of deal where the rules are clearly laid out. Your complaint should not be with the seller but eBay itself.

As a buyer, I agree with the OP, it's nice to get a response of some kind - but i don't let it get to me when my offer is ignored....just move on.

As a seller, I don't bother setting the limits to auto-reject, I always take the time to send a counter and a thank you....doesn't matter how much of a low-ball it is. To each his own, right?

I also like to have fun with "lowballers" (there was a thread on this not long ago in CG and I posted my story on it) - if I wasn't so bad at using this site's search engine, i'd link you to it - good for a laugh.

This one?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=284837&Number=6323093#Post6323093

You don't need the search engine so much if you know you made the post. Just click on your name and then click "view posts"on the dropdown menu.

i've dealt with seller's who won't respond to an offer, a decent offer that is, and if they don't have the time to click a button within 48 hours, I don't have the time to waste going thru their inventory looking. However, I did run into a seller who had a computer problem and couldn't get back to me, things like this do happen, folks go on vacation, they get sick, etc. etc. etc. so use some common sense before just saying "forget you"

Here is maybe a first, about a month ago, I had a buyer offer me $5.00 on a $199.00 item, I am always notified on my iPad. I clicked on it and right away declined it with no comment. Any normal buyer who makes an offer is done with it and moves on, but not this one. I get a message that I was to quick to decline it and should of thought about it some more to think or consider it. I guess he was insulted that it took me 13 seconds to decline him, then I blocked him.

Should have countered with $204.00