• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragon*Con Attendance - Yes or No given the following information

6 posts in this topic

Saw this for the first time today. Apparently one of the owners of Dragon*Con has been accused (for a decade) of child molestation. There's a call boycott Dragon*Con until they cut all ties. As I understand it, the con does not allow him to participate, but he does receive substantial income from the con through his ownership.

I've listed a few sources and then ask a couple of questions.

Any comments? Would you attend?

My comment - a boycott would hurt a lot of innocent people, but ...

My attendance - it's too far for me so I'm not really influenced by the call

all things being equal, yes this would stop me from going. I did not read the articles (my work is full enough of this as it is) but 10 years is a long time to be "accused" - if there is "proof" or convictions, then don't go.

My comment - a boycott would hurt a lot of innocent people, but ...

But it might help so many more. And those innocents may become aware of this situation and will then make a choice - be an enabler or do the right thing.

Okay, no more from me on this as I have made my position clear.

Yeah, but I admit it gets tough. I am a NY Knicks fan. They signed Jason Kidd, who has been a very good effect on the basketball team. But he is a wife beater (confirmed years ago) and a drunk driving (confirmed 2012) anus. I did not boycott my team, but I do not cheer for that man.

We attended in '99 just to have the honor of meeting the late, Dave Stevens. We had a blast and even witnessed a GWAR show in the same hotel that started at 3:00AM! For years, I always said everyone should do Dragon-Con at the least once, but after reading Bissettes' blog, I'd just say skip it. That is such a shame! They certainly don't need my money.