• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Information, knowledge, and these boards

85 posts in this topic

As a former lurker and now Newbie, these boards are what YOU make them. Stay on the

sidelines(as an un-registered observer ) or come on board. It's about choice. It take posting to get

a feel for the person on the other side of that screen. But once you do you can begin to move

forward . Again that choice.

OK - now that IS a Brainy post! 893applaud-thumb.gifhi.gif

This has been a Mark VII Production! grin.gif

R O F L O L on these boards the names are real because there are no innocent.

As a former lurker and now Newbie, these boards are what YOU make them. Stay on the

sidelines(as an un-registered observer ) or come on board. It's about choice. It take posting to get

a feel for the person on the other side of that screen. But once you do you can begin to move

OK - now that IS a Brainy post! 893applaud-thumb.gifhi.gif

This has been a Mark VII Production! grin.gif

R O F L O L on these boards the names are real because there are no innocent.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

on these boards the names are real because there are no innocent.

You knw? I ALMOST posted a correction - "The names have been changed to protect the innocent" until my brain got it! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

thanks . They don't call me The Brain for nothing. acclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Like The Brain - my like-minded compadre - I've been lurking amidst you for about 2 weeks now, mainly getting pretty good advice about the current state of the hobby. As a newcomer, I'd say that there is a great deal of quality here even in between the typical message board conversation and flame wars...I suppose comic book collectors have to be minimally interested in readin-n-ritin and content.

So I came for the interest, and I'm staying for the info...Where else would I be able to get recommendations on Neal Adams covers? Those types of posts are golden and transport me to the candy-store environment of the convention floor...

With that said, as long as the content's good, I'll be hanging around. Doesn't it make sense to apply the same buying criteria to this message board as to a comic series? So I hope this gives you some insight into the ~Newbie Mind~. Anyway, this place can be no worse than that "bistro" where I came for the "dancing" and stayed for the "massage" frown.gif

Like The Brain - my like-minded compadre - I've been lurking amidst you for about 2 weeks now, mainly getting pretty good advice about the current state of the hobby. As a newcomer, I'd say that there is a great deal of quality here even in between the typical message board conversation and flame wars...I suppose comic book collectors have to be minimally interested in readin-n-ritin and content.

So I came for the interest, and I'm staying for the info...Where else would I be able to get recommendations on Neal Adams covers? Those types of posts are golden and transport me to the candy-store environment of the convention floor...

With that said, as long as the content's good, I'll be hanging around. Doesn't it make sense to apply the same buying criteria to this message board as to a comic series? So I hope this gives you some insight into the ~Newbie Mind~. Anyway, this place can be no worse than that "bistro" where I came for the "dancing" and stayed for the "massage" frown.gif

W E L C O M E T O T H E B O R D S

Arch, a very impressive post!

Things must look a bit different to you looking at our efforts from behind the curtain. I liked you sum up of th ecycles you have witnessed. But I was MOST impressed with your correct usage of Affect and Effect!!!!! Thats very rare these days. touche!!

I don't always go for the flames when they get out of hand or the quotes in quotes. but i enjoy these boards imensely,I've been collecting a long time & i'm always learning something new from you guys about Pedigrees,Resto,Etc!!!

I check in as much as I can even if I don't post all the time, I love these boards & you guys are alright in my book!!! thumbsup2.gif

or for the many GA collector's posts about things like first war covers or first Nazi covers 893scratchchin-thumb.gifacclaim.gif

or folks who have made and shared amazing web sites dedicated to MLJ 893scratchchin-thumb.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Shield, knowing your affinity for War covers, I'm assuming that's the driving force between your support of Bush/Cheney? I mean, we're bound to have more war covers on comics if Bush stays in office, right?

devil.gif

As it states underneath my trade mark avatar.....I just got here. I'm not new to the hobby, but have been away for the past few years. I've been searching for an active community that I can hopefully contribute and eagerly learn from and I hope to make this my new home.

Great discussions here, I've only scracthed the surface but from what I've seen so far I'll be staying for a good while.

As it states underneath my trade mark avatar.....I just got here. I'm not new to the hobby, but have been away for the past few years. I've been searching for an active community that I can hopefully contribute and eagerly learn from and I hope to make this my new home.

Great discussions here, I've only scracthed the surface but from what I've seen so far I'll be staying for a good while.

I agree. I've technically been into comics for about 12 years. I just recently joined this group, not knowing what to expect. But so far I have loved every minute of reading what people have to say and have already made some good comic-contacts.

These boards are a way for me to be a small part of the huge "Golden Age" world while living far away from where most of the "action" is. I've been reading comics since 1973 and collecting for over 25 years, so I'm a newbie compared to some of the true old salts of these boards. I was never able to pick up Gold and Silver for pennies on the dollar, but I don't begrudge those that were savvy enough to treasure and collect from the earlier eras. Thank you to all of you that share your knowledge, wisdom and history on the hobby. Every day there is new information to ponder, comics to grade, and collectors to meet.

There's more to be learned here about comic book collecting than anywhere else. I really believe that. My regret is that I've wasted too much time in the past at the DC Comics boards and elsewhere; I've learned more from POV's posts over the past several months than I would ever be able to pick up elsewhere. At least the time I've spent uploading covers to the GCD has been worthwhile and rewarding...

I started buying comic books in 1974 and began collecting in '76. I've always been primarily a DC collector, but I do get into a lot of other publishers' stuff -- like the nice-grade issues of "Kona" from Dell I bought last year for around $1 each.

So I appreciate being here, and my thanks to POV and everyone else -- to all of whom my thanks are long overdue.

At least the time I've spent uploading covers to the GCD has been worthwhile and rewarding...

Now THAT is something worth a thank you! The GCD has got to be one the greatest comic book references online or anyplace else. I've been considering up laoding to them myself. I know I have some nice horror in BA and GA that is not listed.

I've been able to add some BA horror to their galleries, primarily from Charlton (The Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves, Haunted, Ghost Manor...). The stuff I've been uploading has run the gamut from romance to humor to western, especially a lot of late '60s to mid-1970s books.

An interesting thread could be based on which titles are absent from the GCD altogether. Here are a few:

Egbert (Quality)

All Humor Comics (Quality)

I Love You (Charlton)

Fat Albert (Gold Key) -- 29 issue run!

Lidsville (Gold Key)

Roman Holidays (Gold Key)

Race Warrior (Custom Comics)

Crash Dummies (Harvey)

Valley of the Dinosaurs (Harvey, reprints old Charlton)