• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Spangled War Stories...Price Spike?

15 posts in this topic

Hello board members! hi.gif

After reading a few threads over the past several months, I finally feel confident and competent enough to contribute. First off, despite the occasional bickering and personal issues some members have with others, I think these boards are a real asset to collectors and help promote our hobby.

As I haven't been to a convention since 1991 and have only used the 'BSD' sites and ebay for my comic purchases, I was wondering what the general consenus among you experts of what is driving the apparent sudden spike in SSWS cgc'd dinosaur issues in 9.0 or better (at least on BSD sites). Does anyone on the boards collect these besides me?

For ebay, my id is asstrayler53nk. I have purchased from bronze bruce and dr banner in the past...maybe someone remembers me?

Jeff

OH HELLS YES!!!

I collect SSWS but mainly for the historical covers/characters... the dino run never excited me very much , but eventually as you acquire more and more of a title the word completist begains to drift through the mental ether.....However I am not touching the dino covers until sanity returns. Where is the demand coming from so suddenly for these guys??? Frankly I dont see it and if these prices hold I will move onto other items (My anemic 'Our Army at War' collection beckons).

Hello board members! hi.gif

After reading a few threads over the past several months, I finally feel confident and competent enough to contribute. First off, despite the occasional bickering and personal issues some members have with others, I think these boards are a real asset to collectors and help promote our hobby.

As I haven't been to a convention since 1991 and have only used the 'BSD' sites and ebay for my comic purchases, I was wondering what the general consenus among you experts of what is driving the apparent sudden spike in SSWS cgc'd dinosaur issues in 9.0 or better (at least on BSD sites). Does anyone on the boards collect these besides me?

For ebay, my id is asstrayler53nk. I have purchased from bronze bruce and dr banner in the past...maybe someone remembers me?

Jeff

Welcome to the boards.

i collected them for about a year or so back in 1960/1961. coincidentally, i pulled them out of their box on wednesday for a possible posting of my 11 Dinosaur issues, (one actually has a Giant Nazi on the cover). this thread clinches it and i'll make that my next posting between now and monday.

what kind of multiples are we talking about for these 9.0's and up you're looking at?? mine aren't as nice as i had remembered (funny how that happens once you've been on these boards for a while and then go back and look at your books) - it's a real education........... grin.gif

mine aren't as nice as i had remembered (funny how that happens once you've been on these boards for a while and then go back and look at your books) - it's a real education........... grin.gif

boy aint THAT the TRUTH, brutha!?

"What kind of multiples are we talking about for these 9.0's and up you're looking at??"

I noticed Blazing Bobs recent listings for 9.0s and 9.2s were outrageous! The latest overstreet prices for the dinosuar issues have increase yet again! I'm just fascinated that the prices keep rising when I never here about ANYONE on these boards mention looking for these issues in HG. BTW, I know Bob charges a super premium...heck, I've had to buy stuff for high prices in the past if I REALLY needed a particular book. And yes, he's a very reputable dealer...

Funny comment about how your books don't look as good as you remembered. When I unearthed my prized Savage Swords (3-22 to be exact) I'd purchsed off the shelf with the intention of slabbing them, I kept asking myself where the 'wear and tear' came from. Then I realized that slabbing them would mean I'd have to buy reader copies anyway...

You board members made me realize when I first started 'lurking' hear...there, I said it...that collecting to read and enjoy comics is what is most important to me...since I stopped riding the 'speculation' wave, I've been much happier (saved a bunch of $ too) and enjoyed getting books I really want as opposed to "I might make a ton of cash on this book."

If anyone has any SSWS dinosaur issues in F (or slabbed VF 8.0 or better) let me me know.

Thanks for the 'welcome aboard' posts!

Jeff

The DINOSAUR issues seem like they always sell higher. I've noticed this with other books that I collect (FOUR COLOR, CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED). Put a dinosaur on the cover and the demand seems to go up. Must be the dinosaur collectors out there.

I have all the SSWS. If anyone wants to host my scans of some email me.

Are there really dinosaur collectors or is this just one of Overstreets historic anomalies? I'd love to hear from any dealers whether demand for these issues is any greater than for non-dinosaur issues or even than for any other contemporary DC war books.

I never really understood these. There is so much good material buried in DC's war output but this genre cross-over always left me a bit cold.

Are there really dinosaur collectors or is this just one of Overstreets historic anomalies? I'd love to hear from any dealers whether demand for these issues is any greater than for non-dinosaur issues or even than for any other contemporary DC war books.

I never really understood these. There is so much good material buried in DC's war output but this genre cross-over always left me a bit cold.

I have to agree. Some of the covers are pretty wild, but I've never had any inclination to start collecting these issues, and I've seen some very high grade issues on the market.

Agree with you also , I put this in the same category as Atom Bomb and Injury to Eye covers.

BTW: Checked my 1989 overstreet and the Dino run was way more expensive than most other issues in the series.

I have to agree. Some of the covers are pretty wild, but I've never had any inclination to start collecting these issues, and I've seen some very high grade issues on the market.

yup - there are Dino collectors out there as evidenced by the increased demand for these books and significantly higher prices as pointed out by RR. as i said, a kinda goofy concept but very good artwork thumbsup2.gif

Just some assorted thoughts on various poster's rants:

>>> I collect SSWS but mainly for the historical

>>> covers/characters ... the dino run never excited me

>>> very much

Are YOU INSANE???? The dino covers are the only ones that are

any fun!!!! AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

[falls down writhing on the floor with foam dripping from mouth]

>>> Where is the demand coming from so suddenly

I think the demand has been pretty steady. It's just such a perfect

fantasy for every 10-year old boy -- tanks versus dinosaurs. How can you

go wrong with that!!!

>>> the prices keep rising when I never here about ANYONE

>>> on these boards mention looking for these issues in HG.

We don't want to mention it, because then people would know they're

in demand and then the price would go up! By pretending the books

don't exist, we keep demand low. The international secret cabal

to depress SSWS prices has been active for years!

But seriously folks, I do collect them, and if anyone has nice copies

(9.0 and better) of any SSWS dino covers -- let's talk.

>>> Are there really dinosaur collectors

Definitely yes. I know a person who collects JUST dino comics and

pulps. From my own case, I suspect the people who like the dino

covers on SSWS aren't really interested in war comics.

It's like the outlandish bondage/torture covers on WW2 Fiction House

books (Rangers, Fight, Wings) -- they inspire a different type

of collector than just plain old war comics.

>>> but this genre cross-over always left me a bit cold

Well, you're just wrong, and you need to deeply re-examine the core

philosophical foundations of your existence !!! Come the revolution,

you and those like you are going to be first "up against the wall"

[ insert maniacal laughter here ]

gozer

-------------------------------------------

Marge, please. Old people don't need companionship. They need to

be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients

they have that might be extracted for our personal use.

Just some assorted thoughts on various poster's rants:

>>> I collect SSWS but mainly for the historical

>>> covers/characters ... the dino run never excited me

>>> very much

Are YOU INSANE???? The dino covers are the only ones that are

any fun!!!! AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

[falls down writhing on the floor with foam dripping from mouth]

>>> Where is the demand coming from so suddenly

I think the demand has been pretty steady. It's just such a perfect

fantasy for every 10-year old boy -- tanks versus dinosaurs. How can you

go wrong with that!!!

>>> the prices keep rising when I never here about ANYONE

>>> on these boards mention looking for these issues in HG.

We don't want to mention it, because then people would know they're

in demand and then the price would go up! By pretending the books

don't exist, we keep demand low. The international secret cabal

to depress SSWS prices has been active for years!

But seriously folks, I do collect them, and if anyone has nice copies

(9.0 and better) of any SSWS dino covers -- let's talk.

>>> Are there really dinosaur collectors

Definitely yes. I know a person who collects JUST dino comics and

pulps. From my own case, I suspect the people who like the dino

covers on SSWS aren't really interested in war comics.

It's like the outlandish bondage/torture covers on WW2 Fiction House

books (Rangers, Fight, Wings) -- they inspire a different type

of collector than just plain old war comics.

>>> but this genre cross-over always left me a bit cold

Well, you're just wrong, and you need to deeply re-examine the core

philosophical foundations of your existence !!! Come the revolution,

you and those like you are going to be first "up against the wall"

[ insert maniacal laughter here ]

gozer

-------------------------------------------

Marge, please. Old people don't need companionship. They need to

be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients

they have that might be extracted for our personal use.

I'm right there with you Gozer, and good points made!

The Big5 are some of the best DC Silver Age books out there, and they collectors od DC war books tend to hold on to them thereby making supply a little less.

Our Army at War is the 'Flag Ship" with Sgt. Rock & Easy Co., G.I. Combat with Haunted Tank, ect,.... for the most part, Star Spangled War Stories dinosaur covers stand out from the rest. I buy any Big5 books when I get the opportunity!

Expect these to continue the upward increases IMHO.

Oh! As to your last comment: "The means of production are controlled by the masses"- Karl Marx 27_laughing.gif