• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Weird, Controversial, Boring or Bizzare Bronze Thread

59 posts in this topic

Consider this thread the "Ripley" of Weird, Controlversial, Forgotten, Bizzare, or otherwise freaky bronze comics.

The bronze age was riddled with a glut of titles and comics that just didn't survive for very long. Even thriving titles had to deal with decreasing page counts, less words/story line, and a more cramped artistic style to make up the difference.

The purpose of this thread is to post titles and/or specific issues that you thought were downright awful. Story panels and/or justification appreciated for discussion purposes.

I'll start with a series that just didn't make sense to me: Night Nurse. Only lasting 4 issues, the protagonist deals with many different topics (drugs, boyfriends, etc)--my most favorite--the supernatural in #4. The series moves along at a good clip, but readers could get this in their daily soap operas. The fact that female readers were in steady decline proved fatal to many romance type titles such as Night Nurse.

57176240702.1.gif

57176240702.2.gif

57176240702.3.gif

57176240702.4.gif

Although I love the first two Bernie Wrighson covers here on "Kong The Untamed", the series lasted only five issues. Kubert's work on DC's Tarzan and his son Korak (let's not forget Shanna She-Devil) left little room for yet another entry in the genre.

I haven't read the books yet but I'm working on it tongue.gif Anyone read it and have an opinion?

B317Q001.JPG

B317Q002.JPG

B317Q003.JPG

B317Q004.JPG

B317Q005.JPG

As obscure as Night Nurse is, I checked it out in OS and was surprised to see it valued so high:

(All 9.2)

1 = $150; 2 - 4 = $100

Kong on the other hand:

1 = $12; 2 = $9; 3 - 5 = $5

Ha! Another good thread idea! thumbsup2.gif

This is the first JLA issue I ever bought ( not this particular copy; my original copy has long since disappeared, despite best efforts at restoration via scotch tape insane.gif)

408106-jla103.JPG

It's a very in-joke issue, amazing I came back for more, not understanding who the supporting characters were (Steve Englehart, Gerry Conway, Len & Glynis Wein in walk-on cameos in one of those Rutland Halloween stories), much less why the JLA was interacting with the Marvel guys in poorly-fitted costumes. (National Periodical Publications must have had a helluva copyright defense lawyer at the time!)

564091-Scanned%20Picture%201.JPG

Any of the Marvel guys have the other parts of the story handy? (An issue of Thor and one of the Beast stories in Amazing Adventures as I recall).

589a8cdcd4bc7_564091-ScannedPicture1.JPG.34a19d6605044595ff3d938a5edb3348.JPG

Night Nurse values are overinflated due to dealer hype. gossip.gif

I agree wholeheartedly---and shame on that dealer hype 893naughty-thumb.gif

BassGMan---Plop is right up there. I haven't read any--can't get past the crazy covers. Can anyone post any panels on what the heck that series is about?

Oh Prez!-I'm surprised they didn't have a comic called "Watching Paint Dry".

Zonker--very interesting Phantom Stranger. Anytime Spectre or Phantom get in the mix it definitely gets interesting... The Marvel mix is definitely an interesting element!

Nice examples---let's keep it up!

BassGMan---Plop is right up there. I haven't read any--can't get past the crazy covers. Can anyone post any panels on what the heck that series is about?

Sterling--

Plop was an anthology humor comic, to my knowledge there was no continuity between issues. Sergio Aragones was a big contributor. For an example of what it was like, check out the "Poster Plague" story in (I think) House of Mystery 202 (check Shiver's site to be sure on the number). Plop was marketed as "weird humor," and Cain & Abel and some of the other horror hosts appeared. Early issues had a couple of Wrightson stories that could just as well have appeared in HoM.

Wow, I've never even heard of Kong! To realize that Wrightson did the 1st two covers (which are awesome, by the way) makes it even more amazing that I've never heard of this issue.

There were so many one-shot wonders that made an appearance in the early to mid-70s, in most cases never to be heard from again. The Cat? Brother Voodoo? Ironwolf? The companies were truly throwing everything they could think of against the wall and hoping something would stick. I would categorize the new X-Men as part of that trend, fortunately for Marvel they "stuck" and reinvigorated the whole industry.