• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragon Con Ban?

64 posts in this topic

All of this is news to me and I've been going to Dragon Con since it was the Atlanta Comic Expo. Not saying I have an opinion one way or another about it but I am saying growing older sucks because a show I have enjoyed for over half my life is now going to remind me of this thread and where my money has been going all these years.

This is a thread that should just be deleted and never reappear.

[font:Book Antiqua]I disagree, some topics should be examined and talk about them...[/font]

(tsk)

I agree - but do you think a comic forum is THAT place?

(shrug)

[font:Book Antiqua]Yes, because we are talking about a Comic Book Convention

(One of the most larger in England)

and one of his partners/founders/associate...[/font]

Dragon Con is in Atlanta, Georgia, which is in the United States of America.

I live here in Atlanta and I ALWAYS think I'm living in London... its a common mistake. :grin:

[font:Book Antiqua]I disagree, some topics should be examined and talk about them...[/font]

(tsk)

(shrug)

I live here in Atlanta and I ALWAYS think I'm living in London... its a common mistake. :grin:

Fact: 1 out of 4 Atlanta drivers drive on the left side of the road.

(tsk)

(shrug)

Must be the smog.

All of this is news to me and I've been going to Dragon Con since it was the Atlanta Comic Expo. Not saying I have an opinion one way or another about it but I am saying growing older sucks because a show I have enjoyed for over half my life is now going to remind me of this thread and where my money has been going all these years.

I bet now you're wishing all those years ago you'd put your money into attending the Pittsburgh Comicon instead! Oh, wait...

Top 5 reasons why it's too risky to go to ANY comic convention...

(1) "Collins, Bissette, and a growing number of writers and personalities are outraged that Dragon*Con profits are going towards Kramer’s continued efforts to stay out of prison.... ", etc.

(2) "Pittsburgh Comicon organizer and comic book shop owner Michael George was found guilty of murdering his wife Barbara George in 1990 in the back room of their comic book shop. The jury found him not only guilty of first-degree murder, but insurance fraud.." etc.

(3) "A 53-year-old hardcore 'Twilight' fan was hit and killed by a car at San Diego's Comic-Con on her way to wait in line for a discussion panel about the newest movie in the series..." etc.

(4) "Comic Con Theft No Laughing Matter: Thousands in Rare Comics Stolen from NYC Convention, Say Cops..." etc.

(5)

bad_cosplay_1.jpg

Looks like another depraved sicko. enough smoke there for me to stay away. hard for me to believe there is no fire. Time for dragon con to break up and form a new con. Hopefully the word will spread predators feed off of indecisiveness they just keep on going til they are forcefully stopped.

Time for dragon con to break up and form a new con.

I wonder why they haven't done this.

Im sure there is at least some legal reason beyond just branding concerns (Im assuming they'd have to give up the name Dragon*Con)

(tsk)

(shrug)

Doc, that's just how big it is, it's in Atlanta but it's one of the largest conventions in England.

I would like to think that the Brits have better taste...

This will do nothing do Dragon-con attendance. I am serious. People gotta get their nerd on.

So long as they ain't getting their nerd on with underaged wards. Amiright????

If you are going to boycott Dragon Con, do it for the same reason I do it. The crappy parking lot in the area put a wheel boot on my vehicle during Dragon Con 2004 when the parking lot attendant made eye contact with me and SAW me placing money in the drop box. Do it because Dragon Con doesn't take any responsibility for the crappy location and parking situation. They also make you walk 4 city blocks to get from one end of the show to the other and keep the registration lines long and away from anything else you are going to do. Those are my reasons for boycotting Dragon Con

Cause those are waaaaaaaaaay more important factors than objecting to paedophilia. :facepalm:

There is no direct evidence. You are assuming he's guilty before the evidence has hone to trial. I'm not even going to say you are wrong for having the opinion you do. I don't think pedophiles deserve any mercy. I just don't feel that it's been proven that he is one. The justice system is at fault if they are allowing unnecessary delays.

I talked to someone today that knew him since the 80's and he too feels that Ed is guilty. Again, no evidence... but bad vibes.

DG

Time for dragon con to break up and form a new con.

I wonder why they haven't done this.

Im sure there is at least some legal reason beyond just branding concerns (Im assuming they'd have to give up the name Dragon*Con)

Dragon Con is mainly a multimedia show and comics are just a small portion of that now. For some reason I think Ed pushed for diversification, but I don't want to take credit away from anyone else if that's not true. Pat Henry, the primary owner, tried to start a second show dedicated more towards comics but it failed. He gave up after a few years. It was called the Atlanta Comics Expo.

2008_ACE_Program_Book.jpg

There was "The Atlanta Comic Con" prior to Dragon Con, but it disintegrated after the owners went through a divorce.

ACC_1980_med.jpg

DG

Top 5 reasons why it's too risky to go to ANY comic convention...

(1) "Collins, Bissette, and a growing number of writers and personalities are outraged that Dragon*Con profits are going towards Kramer’s continued efforts to stay out of prison.... ", etc.

(2) "Pittsburgh Comicon organizer and comic book shop owner Michael George was found guilty of murdering his wife Barbara George in 1990 in the back room of their comic book shop. The jury found him not only guilty of first-degree murder, but insurance fraud.." etc.

(3) "A 53-year-old hardcore 'Twilight' fan was hit and killed by a car at San Diego's Comic-Con on her way to wait in line for a discussion panel about the newest movie in the series..." etc.

(4) "Comic Con Theft No Laughing Matter: Thousands in Rare Comics Stolen from NYC Convention, Say Cops..." etc.

(5)

bad_cosplay_1.jpg

stick getting pushhed & shoved by stupid people trying to get limited autograph tickets on that

(tsk)

(shrug)

Fact: 1 out of 4 Atlanta drivers drive on the left side of the road.

The percentage is lower, but there have been some nasty instances where people got on the interstates heading the wrong way. The aftermath of two vehicles hitting head on at 50+ mph isn't pretty.

Atlanta drivers will drive 90 mph through narrowed lanes where bridge construction is taking place while texting illegally.

DG

If you are going to boycott Dragon Con, do it for the same reason I do it. The crappy parking lot in the area put a wheel boot on my vehicle during Dragon Con 2004 when the parking lot attendant made eye contact with me and SAW me placing money in the drop box. Do it because Dragon Con doesn't take any responsibility for the crappy location and parking situation. They also make you walk 4 city blocks to get from one end of the show to the other and keep the registration lines long and away from anything else you are going to do. Those are my reasons for boycotting Dragon Con

Cause those are waaaaaaaaaay more important factors than objecting to paedophilia. :facepalm:

There is no direct evidence. You are assuming he's guilty before the evidence has hone to trial. I'm not even going to say you are wrong for having the opinion you do. I don't think pedophiles deserve any mercy. I just don't feel that it's been proven that he is one. The justice system is at fault if they are allowing unnecessary delays.

I talked to someone today that knew him since the 80's and he too feels that Ed is guilty. Again, no evidence... but bad vibes.

DG

Seems to me an innocent man would want to go to court to prove his innocence.

Not break probation and get caught in a hotel rooms with a 14 year old boy.

You're right, that nothing has been proven in a court of law, but he's not doing himself any favors with his behavior.

(tsk)

(shrug)

Doc, that's just how big it is, it's in Atlanta but it's one of the largest conventions in England.

I think 1/4 people in England still think the US is part of Britain.

We have to send our criminals somewhere.

Georgia was founded by people released from the debtor's prisons, so that is 100% accurate.

DG