• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Colletta Problem

135 posts in this topic

Here's a Thor page from him which to me has more of the Kirby spirit than VC's pages do:

http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_2354/subcat_129431/Jack%20Kirby%20JIM%20106%20p%2017.jpg

That's my page. :acclaim:

Now, compare that to a recently auctioned battle page with great content that is, IMO, impaired by simply awful Colletta inking (and, sadly, there are many more examples like this one):

Kirby Thor vs. Hercules Battle Page from JIM Annual #1 Inked by Colletta

Horrible. It looks like Colletta had his kid draw the outlines and then did some hatching himself. And to think the pencils looked something like this:

http://whatifkirby.com/sites/default/files/slideshows/Thor_156_p05_a1_pp.jpg

Kirby/Royer :cloud9:

It's okay, but how about some . . .

Kirby Sinnott goodness (collection of David Mandel) . . .

KirbyFF59.jpg

Staggering. (worship)

I don't know if a better Fantastic Four piece exists.

This would probably rate as my all-time-favourite FF cover.

What? I don't mean to be rude, but why? (shrug) I mean.. its from a great time in the ff run so if that's the reason why, I can understand that. But its just an average FF cover to me otherwise. Of course an "average" FF cover is a stunning piece but relative to some of the others? #1,#4, #16, #55, just to name a very few that immediately come to mind? ???

What? I don't mean to be rude, but why? (shrug) I mean.. its from a great time in the ff run so if that's the reason why, I can understand that. But its just an average FF cover to me otherwise. Of course an "average" FF cover is a stunning piece but relative to some of the others? #1,#4, #16, #55, just to name a very few that immediately come to mind? ???

#12. Always #12.

Nothing to explain, Bronty.

The impact of the cover image does nothing for you?

So what.

That's your loss. (shrug)

Yeah, how about 3? 26? 28? 51? 61? 72? 74? 79?

#12. Always #12.

yes

Yeah, how about 3? 26? 28? 51? 61? 72? 74? 79?

exactly

So what.

The kirby ff covers ALL do something for me, just about. #59 just isn't high on the relative scale for me, if you like it then that's great. I was just curious if it had some special significance for you because it isn't one that stands out for me (RELATIVE to the rest, again all of them are A level pieces really). (shrug) But I guess you just like the image, fair enough.

So what.

The kirby ff covers ALL do something for me, just about. #59 just isn't high on the relative scale for me, if you like it then that's great. I was just curious if it had some special significance for you because it isn't one that stands out for me (RELATIVE to the rest, again all of them are A level pieces really). (shrug) But I guess you just like the image, fair enough.

It's all opinion based.

I see no need trying to validate an opinion.

Maybe you ought to read some of the 41 comments affixed to the cover's image in David Mandel's CAF gallery to see that I'm not alone in my appreciation for this cover.

I could scratch my head over some of the covers you cite and question your taste (shrug) . . . but I've no wish to be rude.

As I say, it's all opinion based.

Kirby/Royer :cloud9:

It's okay, but how about some . . .

Kirby Sinnott goodness (collection of David Mandel) . . .

KirbyFF59.jpg

Absolutely STUNNING! Sinnott staggers the mind :headbang:

And the SS cover is AMAZING as well (worship)

FTR- My top three inkers are Sinnott, Royer, and Stone. Doesn't mean I hate Colletta's work- I drool at the thought of owning some Kirby/Colletta.

It's all opinion based.

Maybe you ought to read some of the 41 comments affixed to the cover's image in David Mandel's CAF gallery to see that I'm not alone in my appreciation for this cover.

I could scratch my head over some of the covers you cite and question your taste (shrug) . . . but I've no wish to be rude.

I agree with what you say here, Terry, but to be fair, you've outright disparaged other art in the past that have plenty of complimentary comments on CAF. McFarlane, for example:

McSilly prices being paid for McAwful artwork.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. (shrug)

Certainly doesn't float mine . . .

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=48&Number=5989996&Searchpage=1&Main=271202&Words=McFarlane+Terry+Doyle&topic=0&Search=true#Post5989996

I agree with everyone but I'll just point out that folks who don't like a piece will tend to self-select out of the CAF comments on that piece... that's why I like to hang out here, where it isn't rude to say that the FF 59 cover seems a tad crowded for my taste-- maybe a better cover for people who really value great character inclusion.

maybe a better cover for people who really value great character inclusion.

...and that would be me. The cover of FF 59 has everything I could want in a piece of FF OA; all 4 characters are there and looking right, it's from the very peak of the title's greatness, there's a dynamic background, Blackagar Boltagon...

Of the FF pages that I know of (not an expert at all), it very well could be #1 for me.

That's also my all-time favorite rendering of Mr. Fantastic.

It's all opinion based.

I agree with what you say here, Terry, but to be fair, you've outright disparaged other art in the past that have plenty of complimentary comments on CAF. McFarlane, for example:

McSilly prices being paid for McAwful artwork.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. (shrug)

Certainly doesn't float mine . . .

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=48&Number=5989996&Searchpage=1&Main=271202&Words=McFarlane+Terry+Doyle&topic=0&Search=true#Post5989996

Guilty as charged! lol