• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth

3,780 posts in this topic

Ken,

Hold steady Brother. We need you. Hickman mess the bed and has 4+ variants coming out for East Of West. Such a shame.

Okay, guys. Question: Recently I've talked with several retailers and convention admins who want to do TODD variants for their stores or shows. Depending on the show or store they would print between 250 to 2500. What say you about those kinds of store/show-specific variants? Is it a good idea?

Ken, I don't like variants but, in all candor variants, if done right can help a book and, really only hurt the speculator and the completeist collector. Books with few variants resell better (see Saga and PP). People have gone back and forth on these boards about why this happens. Most collectors don't mind a variant or two but the ultra limited, impossible to find variants are frowned upon by collectors because flippers scoop these up and make profit off of the diehard collectors. Completetists resent this because they are forced to pay premiums to complete their collections.

If you do variants, be shrewd and don’t let dealers and flippers take advantage of you and your readers. It can be done well and improve the exposure of the book, or it can be done in a way that kills or at least stalls the momentum of the book (see the Bedlam and Nowhere Men threads). Some things that I would suggest: Go with a reputable shop or organization. Go with a larger print run so the books are readily available. If you use a different cover artist, be really picky about the art. I would also suggest that if you do a variant, don’t reprint the first issue but do something like Saga did with the Ghost Variant for the seventh issue. It is a nice cover with a similar cover scheme, a non completionist could buy either one and be happy with their collection, and the completionist can find one close to cover price. Don’t go overboard like with the Phantom Revivals, which sounded cool, but in the end is tedious.

As long as the presence of a variant doesn’t compromise the story (and I don’t see that happening) I will still recommend this book. Because, in the end, comics are all about the stories and art, not the covers and not the resale value.

That's a tough one Ken. If you look at it from your side of things I understand you need to find ways to bring attention to your book and get new readers. Having a variant at a convention could help that.

From the reader standpoint I don't think it matters as some people just care to read the story and couldn't care less about variants.

Variants are targeted at collectors. From the collectors standpoint which is the opinion you'll be getting from most people here, variants are the plague lol.

Lately there have been a bunch of books that seem to have 3 or more variants per issue which can start to suck for a few reasons. For the people that HAVE to collect everything it sucks for their wallet.

Maybe a one-off variant here and there doesn't hurt. But once it starts to be every issue then it just starts to feel like people are being taken advantage of. I know people have the choice to not buy them but they are manufactured collectibles targeted at people who love to collect. It's like baiting them.

I don't like when they make con variants of previous issues. I would rather you just make a variant of the current or upcoming issue.

Here's an idea! If you do make a variant, could you make the paper-stock on the cover look/feel like a paper bag with Todd's eyes behind?

The variants that me off personally are the ones that go through normal distribution and are bald-faced money grabs that don't even contribute real art to the marketplace. The 52 flags deal made me want to go at my eyeballs with a rusty carrot peeler. But I thought con variants were not as offensive because they are so specific to the show -- it's not a real money grab. Or is it? I mean 500 copies? Who's making money?

Edited by KenKristensen

I wouldn't do a variant for a single issue. I'd recommend a variant HC for issues 1-5(or 6) for SDCC. Not sure if that falls in line w/ the timing of the trade vol 1.

Your book is so different and unique. Keep it that way!!

Mangbus brings up a good point.

you could do a Hardcover Version of the first trade exclusive for NYCC. (SDCC simply is too soon, and lets be honest, NYCC is more about Comics now, SDCC is about Movies and entertainment)

Manhattan Projects did a HC of Volume 1 for NYCC last year, sold it at $30 a pop and it sold quite well. Hell, even i bought one and i dont read the book! lol

Mangbus brings up a good point.

you could do a Hardcover Version of the first trade exclusive for NYCC. (SDCC simply is too soon, and lets be honest, NYCC is more about Comics now, SDCC is about Movies and entertainment)

Manhattan Projects did a HC of Volume 1 for NYCC last year, sold it at $30 a pop and it sold quite well. Hell, even i bought one and i dont read the book! lol

I think if the logistics were started sooner, you could get a really cool 1-4 volume put together. The original arc is 4 issues correct? NYCC is a little too far away. Those who would want to read the series will have had a tpb vol 1 for at least a month or more. Not sure a NYCC volume would help boost sales.. it would just be a collectible. The idea would be to get something special in someone's hands, asap, and get them to their LCS to add it to their sub (or sub for the first time.)

SDCC still has a diverse crowd and if promoted properly, this sort of book would thrive in those conditions.

Todd The Ugliest Kidd on Earth Vol 1: The SDCC Ugliest Hardcover Edition

Edited by Mangbus

Ken,

Hold steady Brother. We need you. Hickman mess the bed and has 4+ variants coming out for East Of West. Such a shame.

Okay, guys. Question: Recently I've talked with several retailers and convention admins who want to do TODD variants for their stores or shows. Depending on the show or store they would print between 250 to 2500. What say you about those kinds of store/show-specific variants? Is it a good idea?

Ken, I don't like variants but, in all candor variants, if done right can help a book and, really only hurt the speculator and the completeist collector. Books with few variants resell better (see Saga and PP). People have gone back and forth on these boards about why this happens. Most collectors don't mind a variant or two but the ultra limited, impossible to find variants are frowned upon by collectors because flippers scoop these up and make profit off of the diehard collectors. Completetists resent this because they are forced to pay premiums to complete their collections.

If you do variants, be shrewd and don’t let dealers and flippers take advantage of you and your readers. It can be done well and improve the exposure of the book, or it can be done in a way that kills or at least stalls the momentum of the book (see the Bedlam and Nowhere Men threads). Some things that I would suggest: Go with a reputable shop or organization. Go with a larger print run so the books are readily available. If you use a different cover artist, be really picky about the art. I would also suggest that if you do a variant, don’t reprint the first issue but do something like Saga did with the Ghost Variant for the seventh issue. It is a nice cover with a similar cover scheme, a non completionist could buy either one and be happy with their collection, and the completionist can find one close to cover price. Don’t go overboard like with the Phantom Revivals, which sounded cool, but in the end is tedious.

As long as the presence of a variant doesn’t compromise the story (and I don’t see that happening) I will still recommend this book. Because, in the end, comics are all about the stories and art, not the covers and not the resale value.

This is a good post.....Readily available is the best way...limited 500 con versions just makes money for the flippers and makes it frustrating to people who can't get to cons.

The less variants the better!

e.g. Saga, Peter Panzerfaust, Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, The Sixth Gun

I also think a big reason (other than the fantastic writing) why people love 'Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth' is because of the simplicity of the availability to us collectors.

Once books start going down the variant route they, to me, are the first I look to drop of my pull list.

The variants that me off personally are the ones that go through normal distribution and are bald-faced money grabs that don't even contribute real art to the marketplace. The 52 flags deal made me want to go at my eyeballs with a rusty carrot peeler. But I thought con variants were not as offensive because they are so specific to the show -- it's not a real money grab. Or is it? I mean 500 copies? Who's making money?

Seems like a reasonable middle ground to me.

At shows I usually give away free image first comics. Lately I have been giving away Revival as it is amazing. But the moment Todd gets an image first print I will be ordering 100+ to give away at shows and get more people on board the Todd Wagon.

Hmmm. Wonder what we should call Todd fans? Bagheads?

At shows I usually give away free image first comics. Lately I have been giving away Revival as it is amazing. But the moment Todd gets an image first print I will be ordering 100+ to give away at shows and get more people on board the Todd Wagon.

Brown Baggers?

I'd like to see a surprise variant distributed to retailers pro rata for the expressed purpose of distribution to those customers with the title already on their pull list! Get it directly in the fans hands and inspire new readers to add the book to their pull... all you need is a teaser statement that you might do it again.

The less variants the better!

e.g. Saga, Peter Panzerfaust, Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, The Sixth Gun

I also think a big reason (other than the fantastic writing) why people love 'Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth' is because of the simplicity of the availability to us collectors.

Once books start going down the variant route they, to me, are the first I look to drop of my pull list.

THIS.

For the completionist like myself, it does get tough on the wallet. I typically have to also dole out for 2nd prints as well. Have for both issue 1 and 2 preorder and proud to! That said, I'd feel out as a collector not being on equal footing attending cons, etc securing variants at will..and for cover type prices. Is that selfish, you bet it is. Guilty as charged. Do I want to see TODD get into more hands, yup. Maybe a variant helps that at a con...tough decision Ken/MK. I vote strongly against it (selfish).

The explanation now for the cover of #1 by Ken is brilliant..I should have spotted that more clearly!

Bring on the TODD Alien Abduction arc I say. :roflmao:

Ken,

I couldn't agree more with this post. If you have a great product, don't have excessive delays and keep in mind your audience, then why would a book need "gimmicks" ? -

Bill Watterson of "Calvin & Hobbes " did not authorize any tie in products. He wanted to keep the strip (and characters) sink or swim on their own merit.

A variety of covers doesn't add anything to the story, ticks off collectors and for the casual readers, it might make them confused. I know I've bought the same book by accident, especially when I started getting more into new books for the sole purpose of reading them.

I like to use this analogy : Why are diamonds valuable ?....Because they're rare. If they were everywhere, they won't be worth anything. Adding all these comic store variants, con exclusives, sketch covers or whatever doesn't really put more money into anyone's pockets. (In terms of people involved in the book) - It actually can backfire and make people lose interest in the title....

Brown Baggers?

^^

Love it

Ken,

Ken,

Take this very slowly.

Creators sometimes forget they are killing their product with over exposure. Right now this is not the case with Todd.

I think this is a rare case where one store or Larry (We know he is probably looking to do one.) would be helpful I think because this book needs a little more exposure and a larger print run would be more helpful for a variant.. You only get one chance to do this right.

Pike's idea of an Image First Book I think will really help as well. In fact I think the book might explode after an Image first roll out. ^^

From my point of view a variant a couple of times a year is not a bad thing. What is a bad thing is when its every issue. Books that have done it well like Saga just plain only have a few variants. Keeps readers happy and gives collectors something to chase. Gives the store something to promote.