• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth

3,780 posts in this topic

Just read #4, another fantastic issue Ken, very funny stuff. (thumbs u So awesome this has become an on-going, gonna be a long wait but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Thanks, Machine -- and to all the boardies supporting this book! We've got a few months to go before #5, but we promise it'll be well worth the wait.

One retailer told me that at the end of today Diamond was almost sold out of #4 ...

so if your retailer sold out today -- tell them to get their orders in quick or they might not be able to get any!

Edited by KenKristensen

:applause:

Read #4 last night. Such a fun read. A few laugh out loud one liners.

This issues was my favorite by far. I felt I was watching a show more than reading. It flowed so well.

Don't know what's in store now.. Maybe that last page had a clue. :devil:

:applause:

Read #4 last night. Such a fun read. A few laugh out loud one liners.

This issues was my favorite by far. I felt I was watching a show more than reading. It flowed so well.

Don't know what's in store now.. Maybe that last page had a clue. :devil:

Thanks, Awax! #4 is MK's favorite issue too.

MK and I are working on #5-8 right now.... and an awesome tee shirt to help tease it.

Ken,

maybe to tide us over during the break, you could give us a little insight to what "changed" in the story line from original concept (four issue mini-series) to what it is today (on-going)

TBP -- so glad you got some laughs on the train. That's awesome.

To answer your question....

Here's a response to an interview with Myke at ThePullBox.com that might be appropriate:

Myke: I tend to find that any labor of love, no matter how well planned, doesn’t come together as ideally as envisioned; Three issues in, have you had to make any concessions to that end? Things that just didn’t come together how you hoped so you had to run in a different direction with it? If so, how did the new effort turn out?

Ken: There are a couple of moments in the first two issues where things weren’t working as we’d planned — because the format of this book was originally going to be a graphic novel. So much of the art had been drawn with a graphic novel format in mind. Then once we decided we wanted to do it as a series we had to change the intention of some pages to justify their existence. For example, in issue #2 there was a flash-forward of the Maniac Killer hearing a knock on the door as he’s watching Oprah. And the knock is from Chief Hargrave, but we don’t see the face of the person knocking — it’s basically told from the Maniac Killer’s P.O.V. And the idea was that later we repeat the moment from the Chief’s P.O.V. and the audience is supposed to be kind of lost when they see the Maniac Killer’s P.O.V. and then have a revelation later when they see the moment from Chief Hargrave’s P.O.V. Anyway, the flash forward was a simple one page scene. But once we started paginating the individual issues we saw that the flash forward would end up in issue #2, but that scene from the Chief’s P.O.V. wouldn’t happen till issue #3. And nobody would make the connection unless they read both issues together. So we were kind of stuck with this one page in issue #2 that didn’t make much sense. And the way the pages were laid out we couldn’t cut the page. So we decided to change the intention of that page from a flash forward to simply a weird character moment with the Maniac Killer watching Oprah and waiting for Domino’s to deliver his pizza. Ultimately I think it works okay because their’s a decent joke on the page, but it does call attention to itself because it’s the only Maniac Killer appearance in that issue and it doesn’t have any story purpose.

You can read the full interview at: http://thepullbox.com/2013/03/07/kenkristense/

:hi: Ken

Follow up to TBP. Is it a large logistical challenge to take this series from a mini to an ongoing?

I mean, I'm sure when this started, in your mind you had a plan for the story to resolve within four issues. Are you still on the same original plan and just going to call the first four "arc one" and add a twist to lead into the second arc?

Thanks Ken for your work and for taking the time to stop by the forum.

(Thumbs u

R

:hi: Ken

Follow up to TBP. Is it a large logistical challenge to take this series from a mini to an ongoing?

I mean, I'm sure when this started, in your mind you had a plan for the story to resolve within four issues. Are you still on the same original plan and just going to call the first four "arc one" and add a twist to lead into the second arc?

Thanks Ken for your work and for taking the time to stop by the forum.

(Thumbs u

R

Hey IJR -- The plot of the first arc was always the same. And the last panel of the last page of #4 has always been the closing moment -- even when we thought it was going to be a graphic novel. For us, it does resolve --- the resolution of this first arc is emotionally satisfying because it implies that the main character's dramatic need that began on page 2 of issue #1 has been answered. Sure, it tees up other possible storylines -- but if you didn't read another issue we think it still would feel satisfying.

But we'd always hoped there would be support for the book that would allow us to continue (note that the issues never had "1 of 4", "2 of 4" on the cover), and thanks to you guys there is! We couldn't be happier.

Pretty soon after we outlined the first arc we started coming up with ideas for the next arc, and the next. TODD's universe is driven by satire -- and there's no shortage of things to satirize in this world. If you look at the covers of both printings of issue #1, we were trying to say two things: 1) despite the protagonist being a kid, this is NOT a kiddie book. 2) with this book you can expect the unexpected -- nothing is off limits.

So in terms of the logistics of going from a mini to an ongoing --- all we needed to do was ask ES. And then we set the date for #5.

MK is going to be done with #5's cover next week -- can't wait!

Edited by KenKristensen

Well Said Ken!

Will the TPB have some of the unused artwork as bonus material?

Also, any idea what SRP will be for the first trade?

I should find out today what the SRP is for the trade. Hoping it's 9.99. And Image will have a press release on it very soon.

For the trade we will be putting in bloopers. There were a lot of scenes where the characters screwed up their lines on the first take. "Take TWO!"