• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth

3,780 posts in this topic

Been following this thread since inception, prolly just shoulda stayed in the shadows - not really interested in getting flogged. From Boston, I usually do that dolling out.

:news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news:

We're getting reports that lurkers,

do in fact, actually exist...

can you confirm?

:news: :news: :news: :news: :news: :news:

lady_news_anchor_hg_clr.gif

Pristine as in unread and untouched gentlemen.

That clarification does not change my lol

+1

What does "unread and untouched" have to do with pristine? It's certainly possible that some books got damaged in packing/transit from Diamond. It's also certainly possible that a copy has been opened, handled, read, etc. and still garner a 9.8 or higher from CGC.

Conservatively, I'd say at least 1/2 of the print run are 9.8 candidates and higher, although for Todd #1, I'm not sure how prevalent the spotting on the left side of the front cover are, and whether CGC would consider that a printing defect or downgrade the book.

I have 3 copies with this spotting, so I'm interested to hear thoughts on this.

Edited by awakeintheashes

+1

What does "unread and untouched" have to do with pristine? It's certainly possible that some books got damaged in packing/transit from Diamond. It's also certainly possible that a copy has been opened, handled, read, etc. and still garner a 9.8 or higher from CGC.

Conservatively, I'd say at least 1/2 of the print run are 9.8 candidates and higher, although for Todd #1, I'm not sure how prevalent the spotting on the left side of the front cover are, and whether CGC would consider that a printing defect or downgrade the book.

Get a loupe and look at the bottom left corner. All mine look like a head of cabbage. Even my slabbed 9.8

Edited by Awax

+1

Get a loupe and look at the bottom left corner. All mine look like a head of cabbage. Even my slabbed 9.8

I mean this:

td0002_zps1473df87.jpg

Notice the spotting on the man's suit? I this this particular defect was pretty common with the run.

+1

Some of the white back cover TODD's can be shelf wear/scuff mark magnets. Not looking at my issues right now, but look at the backs' boys.

+1

I mean this:

td0002_zps1473df87.jpg

Notice the spotting on the man's suit? I this this particular defect was pretty common with the run.

I have one with that kind of stuff, but its not slabbed.

hm maybe folks need to show their slabs.

+1

I mean this:

td0002_zps1473df87.jpg

Although I've seen that quite a bit on the #1 first print, I don't believe I have a single one like that myself (kinda ink transfer look/spotting). Simply trying to add some personal experience if that helps.

I'm more interested in who coined the phrase "coined the phrase"

"Coined the phrase itself dates only from the 20th century and its author seems anonymous. The expression to coin a phrase began turning up in writing around 1940 so it had to have been in use before then.

The notion of coining words (as if they were money) is older, though, and seems to have started with an Elizabethan writer by the name of Puttenham. In 1589 his hot new title, "English Poesie" hit the streets and in volume 3, on page 259 (yawn) he moans about "Young schollers not halfe well studied..." who "seeme to coigne fine wordes out of the Latin".

Coin of the Roman emperor Septimius Severus. The word coin comes from the wedge-shaped dies used to make them - Latin cuneus means a "corner" or "wedge". Cuneus also occurs in cuneiform. This word was devised by William Taylor in 1818 to describe an ancient -script made up of "wedge-shaped" indentations in clay. A word for "wedge-shaped" already existed, though: coin-formed.

In its earliest English usage coin meant a "corner-stone" and although it is now spelled quoin, architects and masons still pronounce this as "coin". Coign, a variant spelling but essentially the same word as coin and quoin, is also a geological term for "an angular elevation of land" and a coign of vantage was a Shakespearian term for "a projecting corner of a castle's fortifications".

The verb to coin meaning "to make money by stamping metal" first occurs around 1330 and a coin as "a piece of metal currency" began to appear later in the same century."

hm