• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My old Suscha News ASM - now a 9.9 ???

117 posts in this topic

To me, the real question is, why the hell is CGC giving 9.9s to books with miswraps?

Ah, there's a question with a loaded answer.

If the miswrap is the only defect that their eyes can pick up then I believe they allow a certain size miswrap in that grade.

They pay no attention at all to miswrap. None, zilch, nada. It is one of their biggest faults in grading. Not as bad as the tape-a-cover-back-on-for-an-extra-point problem, but a failure of their system, nonetheless.

To me, the real question is, why the hell is CGC giving 9.9s to books with miswraps?

If the miswrap is the only defect that their eyes can pick up then I believe they allow a certain size miswrap in that grade.

They pay no attention at all to miswrap. None, zilch, nada. It is one of their biggest faults in grading. Not as bad as the tape-a-cover-back-on-for-an-extra-point problem, but a failure of their system, nonetheless.

Acidic tape = Blue

Archival glue = Purple

My mind doesn't understand this logic, either. :screwy:

If I'm not mistaken, they actually do. I believe they have an "allowed" miswrap in each grade for 9.8 and 9.9. For example, that miswrap would not be allowed in a 10.0 book.

9.6 seems to be the "catch all" grade for really bad miswraps and miscuts.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion. I'm not a CGC graded... :shy:

(thumbs u

CGC 9.8 yesterday, CGC 9.9 today, CGC 10.0 tomorrow, no problemo with the synergies possible by CGC's expansion into the pressing, restoration, and un-restoration business! :acclaim:

But a miswrap? All that means is no CVA sticker... doh!

(thumbs u

CGC 9.8 yesterday, CGC 9.9 today, CGC 10.0 tomorrow, no problemo with the synergies possible by CGC's expansion into the pressing, restoration, and un-restoration business! :acclaim:

Nah. You still get stickers for miswraps.

But a miswrap? All that means is no CVA sticker...

Actually, it doesn't.

(thumbs u

Nah. You still get stickers for ugly azz miswraps.

fixed that for you (thumbs u

Ok - kill me now - but I will say it.

That is the ugliest 9.9 ever graded.

I have no clue on earth how that book recieved that grade.

First one to include Blond Pie in their answer has my undying repect (thumbs u

I am starting to catch the pressing bug. I never had my ASM 1 pressed and it came out to a 2.5. There are quite a few non color breaking wrinkles that would clean up nicely from a press. The book is in better shape than one of my other books that once that was pressed came back as a 3.5.

I guess this guy just had a pair of coconuts and said whatever... I cannot see submitting a book like that alone. Perhaps they had a stack and just threw it in to roll the dice.

different people view money differently, and risk. To some people, $5000 is the same as $50 to other people, or the way $5 is to others. And some of those people are on all spectrums who love comics too.

Maybe this guy is ballsy, maybe he's smart, maybe he just auto presses everything he buys no matter what.

It definitely makes one think tho...

Maybe the case busted when he received it in the mail and he sent it to CGC for a reholder.

CGC, while inspecting the book before putting it in the new case, thought to themselves, "selves, this book was undergraded the last time and should be given a 9.9."

Is it the same book? Who has the b*lls to crack a 9.8 hoping for a 9.9?

ASM125b99_zpsd5e222ed.jpg

Makes me wonder if a book like this is a "Leader". Something to get the masses all excited about the new venture and the possibilities of "winning" on a cpr. attempt.

Nothing like seeing a winning ticket to get players all jazzed about the newest scratch-off. Can't win if ya ain't in.

That's really, really fishy. I'm guessing it was subbed for auction with a butt-load of other books, maybe even by someone affiliated with the auction house. The auction house pays for the pressing (what normal individual would press a 9.8?), and the CGC bias toward their best clients (auction houses) we fear/suspect exists rears its head and voila...

*Looking for my tinfoil hat*

Kick in pants how them there graders over at CGC can pick up on a .1 difference in a book.

Has the CPR game been stepped up to the next level with predictable 9.9's? hm

No one presses 9.8's with the hope of getting a 9.9 or 10.0

I think what is happening is CGC is loosening up their standards just a hair on how tough it is to get a 9.9.

Look at all the C-Link auctions over the past 6-8 months.

Awful lot of new 9.9's popping up. :whistle:

I wonder what it will go for now?

+1

Only one silver age ASM, no#19. Then the next doesn't come along until no# 73 the next is this 125. Coincidentally there is a 126 9.9 and then a 130. At that point I got bored of trolling the census. I am a little surprised there has been no 9.9 129 given that it has a yellow cover and the number of submissions.

The 19 sold for $29k in 2009 and the 73 for $11200 in 2009 a 135 9.9 sold for $9500 In September 2009. Those dates are all before the decline in bronze prices. I have no idea what you can extrapolate from them.

Well, I hope whoever buys this minty 9.9 feels it's worth the gazillion extra dollars that he'll have to pay than when it was a 9.8 a few months ago. :facepalm:

I mean seriously, is it really worth that much to people to pay for a label? :facepalm::facepalm: