• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how long was yours?

47 posts in this topic

I saw it on a warm summer evening with my Dad in 1978 (it was still on at our two screen fleapit even in '78!).

I remember it because it was the same night as the opening night of the 1978 (soccer) World Cup in Argentina.

It is also my first memory of doing anything with just my Dad. I was 9 years old.

:cloud9:

It's great to see warm memories like this :applause:

A recent post in CG had me remembering the lines I had to stand in to see Star Wars way back when, before Lucas dared dream of referring to it as "Episode IV". I would stand in line at the Century Theaters in San Jose, CA- 5-6 people wide out the parking lot, down the street and around the corner- often through 2 viewings before finally getting in. And these lines were there every weekend for about 2 years IIRC.

I'm sure this isn't unique to me, so where did you first see it, and what were the lines like for you?

Star Wars was always episode IV. I think you mean before Lucas thought of Episodes I, II and III.

I first saw Star Wars at the Galleria Mall in Houston, I think. The movie had been out for 2 months but the line was still long. We only had to wait for an hour. Loved it and wanted to see more. Up until that time, Flash Gordon was the state of the art. He opened the door for real Scifi not just Space Opera. :applause:

Great topic.

Importance of the first Star Wars for me is that it was the last movie I saw with my parents "as a family". I think by the time we saw it it had already been on the cover of Time magazine, and my folks were more curious than anything else. The three of us (I'm an only child) never went out of our way to schedule a movie to see together again, not purposely, but . . . just the way it goes.

Second kind of cool factoid is that the theater where we saw the film has, in the last 5 years, been reincarnated as an Apple store:

Applestore_zps24467074.jpg

Apparently the chief of the Apple retail design team had to fly out to give a special waiver for this store to retain it's original exterior lines and materials as opposed to conforming to the usual Apple store design specs.

This is in Greenwich, Connecticut, USA :grin:

I first saw Star Wars in either late 1977 or early 1978. Not sure which. Never knew about the movie until I bought the Treasury size (# 1, with the ending of the group stuck in the Death Star corridor after freeing Leia) in mid-1977. After that I was hooked. Saw the movie in Tallahassee at the theater that used to be across the road from the Tallahassee Mall. My parents and I got there during the Mos Eisley scenes, but we sat there and waited for the next showing to complete the viewing. Now when I saw Empire, I stood in a long, long line for it as I saw it very early after it was released.

A recent post in CG had me remembering the lines I had to stand in to see Star Wars way back when, before Lucas dared dream of referring to it as "Episode IV". I would stand in line at the Century Theaters in San Jose, CA- 5-6 people wide out the parking lot, down the street and around the corner- often through 2 viewings before finally getting in. And these lines were there every weekend for about 2 years IIRC.

I'm sure this isn't unique to me, so where did you first see it, and what were the lines like for you?

Star Wars was always episode IV. I think you mean before Lucas thought of Episodes I, II and III.

When the film was originally released there was no "Episode IV" in the scroll. That didn't come until Lucas NEW he would be making more films. I meant that.