• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just got me a paypal 1099k

65 posts in this topic

from the FAQ here

How is the $20,000 calculated? Will it be calculated based on net or gross transaction earnings?

As required by IRC 6050W, the $20,000 will be calculated by looking at a seller’s gross payment volume for sales of goods or services. Gross amount means that any adjustments for credits, cash equivalents, discounts, fees, refunded amounts or any other amounts will not be netted out.

In addition, the reported amount will include any shipping and handling, sales tax or other fees which are included in payments you receive. We realize that these amounts may or may not be included in your taxable income, but we are required to report them. You should work with your tax advisor to determine how these items should be treated for tax purposes.

Its a certain threshold of transactions AND amount of money going through the account. Like 200 transactions and total of $20k in goods and services processed...

Incorrect. It is "OR".

You can also get it online.

Not according to PayPal, its "and."

Unless this page is out of date.

That's correct - you have to fulfill both criteria to get the 1099.

Its a certain threshold of transactions AND amount of money going through the account. Like 200 transactions and total of $20k in goods and services processed...

Incorrect. It is "OR".

You can also get it online.

Not according to PayPal, its "and."

Unless this page is out of date.

That's correct - you have to fulfill both criteria to get the 1099.

Correct, and it should be gross payment volume -

What is Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 6050W?

Under the legislation, we'll report to the IRS the total payment volume received by US account holders whose payments exceed both of these levels in a calendar year:

US$20,000 in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year

200 separate payments for goods or services in the same year

Kev, will you serve as my tax advisor?

I advise you to pay taxes (thumbs u

Now just wait until you get his bill.

treefiddy! :acclaim:

But what about items bought in a Clooneython? Does the IRS force you to account for bad investments purchased for the sake of good, unclean fun?

I apologize for my ignorance but, what is a 1099?

Also not sure how this applies to European PayPal users (although I have been a PayPal user way before PayPal Europe existed).

Not having a "Pro" account I recalled they sent me a message once because I had about 1000 Euros on the account, which was not allowed in a basic account, so I just transfered the money to my bank account.

humm good to know - I better start planning now. How do you guys handle this.

You should have always been reporting your hobby sales on schedule C.

Just because paypal is sending this information on 1099 shouldn't change what you were always "required" to do.

I apologize for my ignorance but, what is a 1099?

Also not sure how this applies to European PayPal users (although I have been a PayPal user way before PayPal Europe existed).

Not having a "Pro" account I recalled they sent me a message once because I had about 1000 Euros on the account, which was not allowed in a basic account, so I just transfered the money to my bank account.

Its a US tax document. Just forget you ever came in here.