• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superheroines? Who needs 'em?

47 posts in this topic

I think I have only seen Faust, as far as looking at Vigil's art. Although the detail was good, I would have to see more. I also like Drew Hayes, although again I haven't seen anything outside of Poison Elves.

Lisner just draws the most jaw-dropping women. I also like his vision of Death in the Dawn books.

564684-crypt_death.jpg

564684-crypt_death.jpg.102f6e350b9d8f0146796670488640e7.jpg

Well, it doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint, but I agree with you, actually. I'd much rather read a romance book than a wonder woman. To me, the problem is that a lot of these female superheroines are portrayed as watered-down versions of the male heroes. Perhaps this is because most of the writers in comics are male?

I see your comparison to female sports as well. Why read about wonder-woman ('watered-down & slightly-feminized superman') when I can just read about superman? Why watch the WNBA when I can just watch the NBA?

On the other hand, give me a comic about women that's written in an interesting way, like person_without_enough_empathyyperson_without_enough_empathy or something, and I'll eat it up with a spoon... sumo.gif Elektra is a good example too, the way Miller wrote her anyway...

I hope the interior art is better than the cover crazy.gif She looks freaking anorexic! Although I have to say that art with anatomically-impossible musclebound girls (and guys) and annoying too.

Sigh.... I guess I just don't like superheroes OR superheroines much anymore. Long-underwear types are so boring and tiring. The characters are one dimensional; flat. Alan Moore, Miller, and some of the other great creators make it work, but I think 99% of superhero stuff is sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif The books I've enjoyed most are disney, horror, war, and indies like cerebus, groo, usagi. Not a superhero in the bunch. And the current little lulu thread is making me think about giving that a try 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To all you superhero zombies out there, give some of the other stuff a try - you'll be glad you did. sign-rantpost.gif

Well, it doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint, but I agree with you, actually. I'd much rather read a romance book than a wonder woman. To me, the problem is that a lot of these female superheroines are portrayed as watered-down versions of the male heroes. Perhaps this is because most of the writers in comics are male?

As to the initial post, in the above context, I think agreeing with his viewpoint may be irrelevant. Bassgman has said before that he doesn't read comics, and only flips through these books for the "sexy art." So I would assume the gender of the writer wouldn't matter (to him, at least).

Select a thumbnail from the left to zoom.
SPDME-XTGMH-ajohnbyrne2.jpg[/b]
Image #1

ZJYNQ-1WONDERWOMAN.jpg[/b]
Image #2

LHGMJ-KLEWQ-invisiblegirl.jpg[/b]
Image #3

EUYQU-FTSES-aasm194fc.jpg[/b]
Image #4

SPDME-XTGMH-ajohnbyrne2.jpg
Image hosting and Zoom Gallery by VillagePhotos.com
Here's a couple for you BassGMan devil.gif
Mouse over the arrows to scroll through images. Click a thumbnail to zoom to full-sized image.
QKXMD-wonderwoman.jpg
Image Hosting and Pure Javascript Scrolling Zoom Gallery by VillagePhotos.com

I see your comparison to female sports as well. Why read about wonder-woman ('watered-down & slightly-feminized superman') when I can just read about superman? Why watch the WNBA when I can just watch the NBA?

On the other hand, give me a comic about women that's written in an interesting way, like person_without_enough_empathyyperson_without_enough_empathy or something, and I'll eat it up with a spoon... sumo.gif Elektra is a good example too, the way Miller wrote her anyway...

Sounds like you see alot of it the way I do. But I want to add that my possibly typical dominant male attitude is that the men should be the heroes, and the women should be the ones that the heroes try to impress. Remember, this isn't real life, this is talking comics here. But in some ways it does relate to real life attitudes. I also don't think men are impressed by female heroes the way women are impressed by male heroes. Maybe that has something to do with it.----Sid

I also don't think men are impressed by female heroes the way women are impressed by male heroes.

Very true. And I don't think men in general are impressed by physically strong females the same way women are impressed by physically strong guys. At the root, a lot of this is is about sexuality/genetics IMO.

As to the initial post, in the above context, I think agreeing with his viewpoint may be irrelevant. Bassgman has said before that he doesn't read comics, and only flips through these books for the "sexy art." So I would assume the gender of the writer wouldn't matter (to him, at least).

True Read_em. I rarely ever read a comic. And again, it is not the stories of these heroines that I have a problem with. For the sake of reading, I may enjoy the story of a male hero just as much as a female hero. I was just saying that in general I have no interest in the idea of a female hero. Just doesn't seem "natural". But in a real world of superheroes, of course there needs to be heroines to balance it out. But in getting back to my main point, how many guys put as much effort into searching for older books starring female characters as opposed to male character books?-----Sid

This cover always made me think of Veronica Lodge dressed up as Wonder Woman in bondage... tongue.gif

QKXMD-wonderwoman.jpg

Beyonder, some cool shots there. I like that WW in chains panel but it is not the most feminine portrayel in the world. However, seeing Batman in chains being saved by her instead? I have no interest in that. Not the kind of book I would be interested in.

That wonder woman cover is exactly what I'm talking about. She looks like a freaking man. Where's the five o'clock shadow?

uh - she is an Amazon Warrior!!! but perhaps a little less work in the Gym would be in order grin.gif

But in some ways it does relate to real life attitudes. I also don't think men are impressed by female heroes the way women are impressed by male heroes.

I don't know, Sid. I mean, seriously, in "real life", how many times have you been able to see how how a woman reacts to a "male hero"? I don't mean movies or tv shows etc. I mean you are walking down the street and there is a male hero and a woman reacts - or similar real life examples.

Just how often does that happen? grin.gif

For the record - I don't really care of the hero is a man or a woman. Although I WILL say Red Sonja is one of my all-time favorite heroes and I think she kicks many of the guys' butts! thumbsup2.gif

i will define effert as having a full run of Witchblade from 1-30 X 3. i also have a run of signed

Perez Wonder Woman 1-5 that cost a little$$. I don't understand the last part as it defined by

older books how far back and how much effert(time,travel,money) are we talking? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was just saying that in general I have no interest in the idea of a female hero. Just doesn't seem "natural". But in a real world of superheroes, of course there needs to be heroines to balance it out.

Sorry Sid but you're coming a bit sexist in this thread. What's not natural about woman fighting the good fight? Happens in the real world, and the military, all the time. I thought we put the "woman standing behind her man" myth to bed 30 years ago.

But in getting back to my main point, how many guys put as much effort into searching for older books starring female characters as opposed to male character books?-----Sid

I'm an active collector of back issue Supergirl comics. Also the X-Men, LOSH, and, especially Fantastic Four (Sue) and Avengers (Wanda and Jan), would have totally different, and less interesting, dynamics if not for the strong presense of superheroines.

Jim