• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Interested??

50 posts in this topic

I just finished an Auction thread with the profits going to STAND UP 2 CANCER

Looks like I should have $400 to donate from it :banana:

THANK YOU to everyone who participated (worship)

I have an idea for a Raffle to add a few dollars to that pile

* I need 30 people to buy a "ticket" for $50 each

*I will assign everyone a number 1-30

*I will have a neutral party draw 3 numbers (1 in 10 chance isnt too bad)

*In order, each winner will get to pick ONE of the books below

FF 12 2.0/2.5, FF 25 6.0, or FF 48 7.0

IMG_2979

I already have a well known Boardie who said they would take the names and numbers, and they know another well know Boardie who would draw the numbers

I would NOT be involved in any of that. My responsebility would be shipping the books to the winners.

If this raffle works out, I should be able to add another $300 to the Donation

Also, I have many more books from this OO collection that I could continue to raffle in my journey to make a substantial donation in September to STAND UP 2 CANCER!!

ASM 1, TOS 39, XMEN 1, Avengers 4.....etc

Thoughts??

$50 X 30 = $1500

with $300 of the $1500 going to charity? That the deal?

I should say "At Least" $300

After what I paid for the books, shipping and insuring all 3, and any pp fees - correct

$50 X 30 = $1500

After what I paid for the books, shipping and insuring all 3, and any pp fees - correct

That's good. The full guide on these three raw ( I don't know your cost ) is somewhere between $750 and $800. So if you sell all 30 tickets there should be somewhere around $700, or more, over and above full guide, left over.

The more specifics the better on stuff like this so, do you need to get a commitment for all 30 raffle slots before consenting to go forward with this idea? If so then it's probably going to be easy to get a grip on exactly what the donation amount will be when all is said and done.

If you don't need all 30 slots to be taken then it's, obviously, going to be harder to determine.

It's a nice idea though.

It's a generous offer to donate everything above his cost and with only 30 tickets there's a 10% chance of winning something. That's all good.

I don't have any problem with him getting all his costs back as long as there's a definitive way to determine the size of the donation. Given the OSPG of these books, if he paid full guide for the books the donation will probably be equal in size to cost, Which is a good thing for cancer research.

$50 X 30 = $1500

That's good. The full guide on these three raw ( I don't know your cost ) is somewhere between $750 and $800. So if you sell all 30 tickets there should be somewhere around $700, or more, over and above full guide, left over.

The more specifics the better on stuff like this so, do you need to get a commitment for all 30 raffle slots before consenting to go forward with this idea? If so then it's probably going to be easy to get a grip on exactly what the donation amount will be when all is said and done.

If you don't need all 30 slots to be taken then it's, obviously, going to be harder to determine.

It's a nice idea though.

My mistake - When looking up the values, I used the 8.0 value on the 25, not the 6.0 doh! thus the $300 difference.

I have the raw value of these at around $850. I could either lower the price per ticket, or sell less tickets, or make a bigger donation!

Since Ive never done this before, I am open to suggestions

I'm not that familiar with the behind the scenes on raffle prizes but it seems like the expectation would be more money from each entry would be going to charity than to pay for the prizes (shrug)

I didn't understand how the other deal was being done until just now. Boardies spent somewhere between 1500 and 2000 bucks and only 400 is going to charity. The listing does say "profits" would go to charity, but there was no explanation of what that meant until later. Sketchy.

$50 X 30 = $1500

It's a nice idea though.

My mistake - When looking up the values, I used the 8.0 value on the 25, not the 6.0 doh! thus the $300 difference.

I have the raw value of these at around $850. I could either lower the price per ticket, or sell less tickets, or make a bigger donation!

Best way is this:

1) Disclose your cost on the three books

2) Disclose whether it must be all 30 tickets sold or if less will work.

3) Provide a full accounting of incoming cash (30 tickets $50 each = $1500) and your cost on the books ( $X) .

4) Disclose that the difference, less shipping and insurance and fees will be donated.

The more clarity the better.

Also the donated amount should be all monies above your cost and not above book value. I only used book value in my post because I don't know what you paid for them. It should not be book value retained by you because then it's a way to personally profit over and above cost which casts an entirely different light on the entire proceedings.

At least that's what I would do.

I'm not that familiar with the behind the scenes on raffle prizes but it seems like the expectation would be more money from each entry would be going to charity than to pay for the prizes (shrug)

I didn't understand how the other deal was being done until just now. Boardies spent somewhere between 1500 and 2000 bucks and only 400 is going to charity. The listing does say "profits" would go to charity, but there was no explanation of what that meant until later. Sketchy.

Sketchy??

Buying a big collection like I did, I dont know the exact number for each book. I figure I paid just over $10 a book for these low grade books. Probably around $1700 for the lots. (158 books) Plus the bonus books. The total brought in was $2260. My donation is the work involved in doing the auction, collecting the funds, shipping the books then sending the money in.

Far from Sketchy

$50 X 30 = $1500

It's a nice idea though.

Best way is this:

1) Disclose your cost on the three books

2) Disclose whether it must be all 30 tickets sold or if less will work.

3) Provide a full accounting of incoming cash (30 tickets $50 each = $1500) and your cost on the books ( $X) .

4) Disclose that the difference, less shipping and insurance and fees will be donated.

The more clarity the better.

Also the donated amount should be all monies above your cost and not above book value. I only used book value in my post because I don't know what you paid for them. It should not be book value retained by you because then it's a way to personally profit over and above cost which casts an entirely different light on the entire proceedings.

At least that's what I would do.

Stop it with your logic!!! And no disrespect to the OP. Just talking to the dude here.

Sketchy??

Buying a big collection like I did, I dont know the exact number for each book. I figure I paid just over $10 a book for these low grade books. Probably around $1700 for the lots. (158 books) Plus the bonus books. The total brought in was $2260. My donation is the work involved in doing the auction, collecting the funds, shipping the books then sending the money in.

Far from Sketchy

Whatever you say, Spider-Dan.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

WOW - Post a link to the last Charity thread YOU ran. I looked back through a few pages of your 28K posts and couldnt find anything (shrug)

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

WOW - Post a link to the last Charity thread YOU ran. I looked back through a few pages of your 28K posts and couldnt find anything (shrug)

Whatever you say Lady Macbeth.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

Sean has donated plenty. (thumbs u

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

Actually. Did you sell EVERY book? Did you keep anything at all for yourself? I really dont care either way, but from an outsider looking in it could be viewed as you dumped the less desirable books and got some extra towards a good cause. So you break even on the junk by putting it as an auction, while insuring you recoup your cash and give the extra to charity. Otherwise the books may only fetch 20% of guide value, leaving you having to sell some better books to make up lost cash.

So yes, it could look sketchy. But I do not know you well enough to make an assumption about you personally. Just stating how this could be viewed.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

Sean has donated plenty. (thumbs u
This. I would not doubt the warm heart of the f-bomb.