• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pulps? Best resource for info, grading, and value?

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Because of a few recent Pulp FS threads, I've been on the lookout for a few copies of my own. I finally bought a few recently, but am having a hard time finding anything out about them.

I got:

Planet Stories, July 1952

Starling Stories, October 1952

Fantastic Adventures, August 1952

2 Complete Science Adventure Books, Spring #11

Future Science Fiction Stories, September 1952

I have no idea how to grade these either, so any tips would be welcome.

Hello all,

Because of a few recent Pulp FS threads, I've been on the lookout for a few copies of my own. I finally bought a few recently, but am having a hard time finding anything out about them.

I got:

Planet Stories, July 1952

Starling Stories, October 1952

Fantastic Adventures, August 1952

2 Complete Science Adventure Books, Spring #11

Future Science Fiction Stories, September 1952

I have no idea how to grade these either, so any tips would be welcome.

Most sf pulps from the 50s are not very expensive. However, your July 1952 Planet Stories is one of the better later issues. It contains the 1st published story by Philip K. Dcik (because of the filter).

In G - VG - FN it would price as follows:

$20 - $50 -$100

Startling, Oct 1952: $3 - $8 - $15

Fantastic Adv. Aug 1952: $4 - $10 - $20

2 Complete SF Spring: $3 - $8 - $15

Future Sept 1952: $4 - $10 - $20

As for grading, if you're familiar with comics grading, make the following adjustments:

G = about the same (good) in comics... creases, pages tanned, etc... well read, but still has to be solid, readable, and not falling apart.

VG = about the same (or maybe a 5.0) in comics terms... bright sharp, but with a couple of corner creases, maybe some spine chipping, page quality not white, but supple.

FN = the top grade for most pulps... sort of pulps' "near mint", except a FN might equate better to an 8.0 - 9.0 in comics. Cannot be trimmed (unless it came that way originally). Pages fresh and supple. Very minor blemishes only.

Bookery, once again you've educated me on yet another comic-book related fringe. Thanks! I almost never see them in shops around here, so I was quite shocked to find the ones I did.

Naturally, they are in terrible shape (as compared to comics), but all covers are attached, and there really aren't any rips or missing pieces. So, I suppose by pulp standards, that's pretty good. The paper is so cheap on those ("pulp", I get it), it's a wonder they've lasted this long.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the Fiction House find. In addition to it being the first Philip K. D i c k story, it's got a great GGC cover to boot.

Here's a sample shot (not mine, but very similar grade-wise)

542.jpg