• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The real reason the power went out @ Superbowl.

78 posts in this topic

Well I think the game is over. The most peaceful Superbowl Sunday in memory. My usually rambunctious neighbors made nary a peep. I grew concerned and peeked out the window to be sure there was movement in the house. There was. Maybe they just got more mature or maybe the game sucked. Since SF was in it I figured there would be rowdy drunken screams and HO HO and HA HA type cries. Nothing. I rejoice.

The real reason the lights went out was because LIPA handles the power in New Orleans.

(Inside joke to those in the NY area)

Not true, it LIPA was handling this, we would still be here waiting for the power to be restored.

The real reason the lights went out was because LIPA handles the power in New Orleans.

(Inside joke to those in the NY area)

Not true, it LIPA was handling this, we would still be here waiting for the power to be restored.

Can't you boys just switch over to ConEd???

The counties are contracted with this company

The real reason is that the NFL, since about the mid to late-90's, has instituted a "Keep It Close" rule for playoff games, especially the Super Bowl.

The revenue from playoff and SB games is immense and I think most of us remember those horrible blowouts, where the NFL and the refs just "let them play" and we all turned off our TVs at the start of the second quarter. The NFL used to complain about lost TV ad revenues on a yearly basis, as one SBblowout followed another.

But for the last 1/2 to 2 decades or so we've amazingly had close Super Bowls and the majority of playoff games were tight, all with questionable calls (against the teams that were in the lead) that led to the other team to catch-up.

The worst example was last year's Green Bay - NY Giants playoff game, where the Packers obviously fumbled the ball to the Giants, backed up by replay and commentators, which would have effectively ended the game with NY running out the clock. But the refs inexplicably gave the ball back to GB, stating it was not a fumble.

During that game, I told people that it was going to be called a non-fumble as they needed to "keep it close". They all laughed, for about 10 seconds, until I was proven dead right.

Even in my favorite Super Bowl of all time (Cardinals - Steelers) the Cards were given a shot to come back through an almost unheard-of-in-the-playoffs "Holding Call" in the endzone, giving them a Safety and the kickoff. That almost backfired as the Cards scored quickly, but the status quo was maintained when the Steelers scored to win it in the last minute.

In virtually every playoff and Super Bowl game, there is a critical point where the refs make a call against the team that is leading, extending the game and keeping people tuned in. Like that catch/no-catch by Atlanta vs San Fran - they go one way and the game is still on and the other, and it's game over. I saw that and I knew they'd call it a catch - even more telling was the head of the officiating skirting the question of whether it was the correct call with an ominous "it was a call that had to be made".

But with Baltimore up by a 28-6 lead there was nothing the refs could do to "keep it close" so what happens? The lights go out. Amazing coincidence, huh?

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I was watching the game with some friends and family yesterday and when the lights dropped, one guy mentioned "the NFL probably pulled the plug to keep the game close" as it was rapidly getting out of hand for the 49'ers. Even the announcers mentioned what a Godsend the delay was for the 49'ers, and lo and behold the 49'ers came back to keep the game exciting until the last seconds.

And laugh if you want, but that Green Boy non-fumble against the Giants last year even had the commentators grumbling and asking what happened.

The real reason is that the NFL, since about the mid to late-90's, has instituted a "Keep It Close" rule for playoff games, especially the Super Bowl.

catintinfoilhat.jpg

Agrees.