• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image #1's speculation is different from 90's The Reign of Superman......

77 posts in this topic

I can't imagine saga wont be... If they don't make it into something other than a comic, I'd be amazed - even I'd they don't, it's the most original book out there. If it falls flat, I'd be so shocked (that said, I love me some key silvers)

Sorry, but what's so original about Saga? It uses virtually every character type, plot and cliché found in science fiction/fantasy books from the last 70 years.

Having owned a bookstore for 16 yrs now, no writer reinvents the wheel. No story is original. But it is the way they tell it. Vaughan does that in his dialogue. Obviously the book is not for you. Does not mean it isn't for others though. Obviously having been voted the single best book of 2012, it does strike a chord with readers though.

I can't imagine saga wont be... If they don't make it into something other than a comic, I'd be amazed - even I'd they don't, it's the most original book out there. If it falls flat, I'd be so shocked (that said, I love me some key silvers)

Sorry, but what's so original about Saga? It uses virtually every character type, plot and cliché found in science fiction/fantasy books from the last 70 years.

Having owned a bookstore for 16 yrs now, no writer reinvents the wheel. No story is original. But it is the way they tell it. Vaughan does that in his dialogue. Obviously the book is not for you. Does not mean it isn't for others though. Obviously having been voted the single best book of 2012, it does strike a chord with readers though.

Having read thousands of science fiction books, pulps, magazines and comics over the last 40+ years I can say that there is nothing original in Saga. If you and others like it great but let's not pretend it's some great comic book work of art, regardless of who voted it the best book of last year.

I like BKV's work - but not this.

Having read thousands of science fiction books, pulps, magazines and comics over the last 40+ years I can say that there is nothing original in Saga. If you and others like it great but let's not pretend it's some great comic book work of art, regardless of who voted it the best book of last year.

Maybe it appeals to a younger audience then yourself?

Those with less experience of the genre - yes, you could be right. (thumbs u

I'll totally take that. I'm not saying that it is wholly unique. I'm just saying that the voice, the illustration, and the imagery combine in a way that is fresh to me. I read a lot... My wife would say too much, and I can point to only a few instances when I was romanced by the treatment of the genre. To me, this was one. You clearly don't like it and I'm cool with there being a lot of you out there. But there are also a lot of people that do. In a forum that deals mostly with hype, that says something.

I'll totally take that. I'm not saying that it is wholly unique. I'm just saying that the voice, the illustration, and the imagery combine in a way that is fresh to me. I read a lot... My wife would say too much, and I can point to only a few instances when I was romanced by the treatment of the genre. To me, this was one. You clearly don't like it and I'm cool with there being a lot of you out there. But there are also a lot of people that do. In a forum that deals mostly with hype, that says something.

Fair enough (thumbs u

I wanted to like it, I really did.

As somebody once said - don't believe the hype.

As I posted in another thread, I believe the closest parallel to the Image of today would be the independents of the '80s. Not the junky fly-by-night B/W books that tried to capitalize on TMNT, but legit publishers with full lines of quality work by respected creators. Included would be:

First

Eclipse

Pacific

Comico

Capital

Dark Horse

Only Dark Horse is still around. And virtually none of those formerly "hot" creator-driven titles (MAGE, NEXUS, BADGER, AMERICAN FLAGG!, JON SABLE, et al) have any meaningful monetary value today.

Image may be my favorite publisher going. But I also suspect that very few of their titles outside of WD will still be relevant 20 years from now.

On another note, I worked at 20th Century Fox in the early '90s. At the time, they were big on comic book acquisitions. This was when WATCHMEN was to be directed by Terry Gilliam. Anyway, they made a deal with Dark Horse and obtained the rights to just about everything in the catalog (an early proposal had Bill Murray as Concrete). If that was today, I suppose every title that got optioned would be selling for ridiculous amounts on eBay. As it turned out, only two (that I remember, anyway) actually made it to the big screen: THE MASK and MYSTERY MEN. Does anyone care about MYSTERY MEN? So I am amused when I see all the excitement over MIND MGMT. Everyone thinks WALKING DEAD...how many think MYSTERY MEN? MM may be a great book (I haven't read it), but don't count on the inflated value holding for very long.

this post should be cut and pasted into every one of these 400 page threads of an Image book that has 6 issues published (w/ the exception of TWD, that's a phenomenon that isn't going away anytime soon)

+1

I probably still have quite a bit of The Mask up in the loft somewhere. Used to really enjoy that but hadn't even given it a second thought since the last time I put it down many many years ago.

TWD has shuffled its way into a lot more than just the small screen now...

Anyway. regarding other titles.. if you take The Mask or even something huge like The Crow as an example it does make you rethink about what is happening on the secondary market every time a little hype builds up (or even if you take the boundaries beyond Image to titles like Mind Mgmt or The Sixth Gun). I'd be willing to bet that a good majority of the movie going public still doesn't even know that The Crow started out as a comic.

The Crow #1 is not exactly easy to find in high grade but Saga #1 which has plenty more 9.8 & 9.6's may well end up out stripping it for a while. I say enjoy it while you can :)

One other thing... does Image limit itself somewhat on the longevity of its titles without an Image universe or... looking at it from a creator owned perspective by not being able to branch out and explore other creative team combos on titles or spin offs? Could be consigning themselves to smaller pockets of fans in the long run.

+1

I probably still have quite a bit of The Mask up in the loft somewhere. Used to really enjoy that but hadn't even given it a second thought since the last time I put it down many many years ago.

Anyway. regarding other titles.. if you take The Mask or even something huge like The Crow as an example it does make you rethink about what is happening on the secondary market every time a little hype builds up (or even if you take the boundaries beyond Image to titles like Mind Mgmt or The Sixth Gun). I'd be willing to bet that a good majority of the movie going public still doesn't even know that The Crow started out as a comic.

The Crow #1 is not exactly easy to find in high grade but Saga #1 which has plenty more 9.8 & 9.6's may well end up out stripping it for a while. I say enjoy it while you can :)

One other thing... does Image limit itself somewhat on the longevity of its titles without an Image universe or... looking at it from a creator owned perspective by not being able to branch out and explore other creative team combos on titles or spin offs? Could be consigning themselves to smaller pockets of fans in the long run.

The next villain in WD will be Prince Robot, but Rick finds another camp of Peter Panzerfaust and the lost boys. .... POYO is sure to make an appearance

+1

The next villain in WD will be Prince Robot, but Rick finds another camp of Peter Panzerfaust and the lost boys. .... POYO is sure to make an appearance

:takeit:

Walking Dead #1 might be an exception, due to the low print run, similarly to Cerebus #1.

One thing WD has for it's success was the confluence of a very good book, a rise in interest of Zombies in other medium (video games, books such as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, etc.) and the basic appeal of a dystopian society.

There are a lot of good Image titles out that I like to read and collect, but I really see TWD as an anomaly. A lot of collectors - new and seasoned - are chasing the next WD and I don't know if there is another success to the same degree as the WD is.

The Walking Dead could be the 'canary in the coal mine' for this era of Image in that if it starts to swoon from pop-culture relevance, it could take down speculative books with it.

A lot of collectors - new and seasoned - are chasing the next WD and I don't know if there is another success to the same degree as the WD is.

To me, WD is the new TMNT. Back in the '80s, everyone was chasing the next TMNT, too. The difference being that the new Image titles are generally better than those B/W clones. But do speculators really care? In the end, there was just one TMNT, and I expect we will find out there will be just one WD.

This is very simple.

Market prices are a result of supply and demand.

Because Image is still printing comics, the supply of Image comics is increasing.

As long as demand increases at-or-above the rate of supply, the market prices will stay the same or increase.

If the demand falls, even if the supply is the same, the market prices fall.

If the demand falls AND the supply is increasing, the market prices fall FASTER.

Today is definitely different from the 1990s if you look at the number of people and the number of comics.

But if you look at the supply and demand equation...

Fewer people and fewer comics in the industry doesn't guarantee lower individual losses.

It only guarantees lower total losses.

A lot of collectors - new and seasoned - are chasing the next WD and I don't know if there is another success to the same degree as the WD is.

To me, WD is the new TMNT. Back in the '80s, everyone was chasing the next TMNT, too. The difference being that the new Image titles are generally better than those B/W clones. But do speculators really care? In the end, there was just one TMNT, and I expect we will find out there will be just one WD.

That's true. I guess to be more clear on my point is that there are few pop culture phenomenons per generation and the Walking Dead is currently it. My teenage son, who does't give an eff about comics or floppies, will grab a WD TPB off the shelf and read it - for the umpteenth time - and will have a philosophical discussion with his friends about zombies. THAT is the sign of a cultural touchstone.

One thing discussed on the OA side (which I know you are part of, Nexus) is how much nostalgia drives the value of art. I think nostalgia will be a determinant in how long the Image titles's monetary values will last, or at least how long it takes to fade.

To address the original post, however, the real hero in the Image universe is the writing, not a superhero As long as they have good writers and good writer/artist combos, I'll stick with them - regardless of speculative value.

Well said.

I mean, looking at the history of comics through the decades, the amount of "popular" still relevant characters has gotten smaller each generation as time has gone on.

Some titels will be remembered and still read years from now, but WD is king of the right now.

lol