• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Original Superior Spider-Man?

7 posts in this topic

Or How to kill a Spider

Who was he, and was he the muse in why Peter Parker had to die? In 1987 when I was still a closet collector and Michelle owned my heart, some of my money had to go to her for gifts, dates, and Friday night roller skating. Spider-man would sometimes be skipped here and there. So here it is twenty-five years later and I have finally completed the six part story with Vermin, Spider-Man, and the original Superior Spider-Man: Sergei Kravinoff or other wise known has Kraven the Hunter.

His first appearance way back in Amazing Spider-Man #15 had Kraven originally portrayed as a performer, but he was more about the thrill of the hunt. In this six issue story spanning three titles Kraven "killed" Spider-Man and took his place. I never was familiar with the silver age Kraven, sure I had a Marvel Tales copy of a story or two but it was the Copper Age Kraven I knew best.

Kraven knew he was getting older, or maybe he was going insane like his mother had, but before the final curtain was to fall he had one thing to prove and that was his superiority over Spider-Man. He did this by defeating Spider-Man, burying him alive, and dressing up in Peter's black uniform to defeat a foe single handedly that Captain America originally assisted in.

Kraven never made it to the sixth issue of the story arc. His body, bloody and lifeless ended by a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Peter took after Vermin and beat him, this time alone.

The most touching scene took place off panel in the arms of Mary Jane and nothing makes you appreciate life as much as thinking about your own mortality than the act of creating it.

So back in the eighties when a character was "killed" it was for good, well at the very least it wasn't sensationalized for a dollar or only a couple months. This story line never portrayed or advertised itself as the "Death" of Spider-Man but it was the first time we saw a Superior Spider-Man.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

And for something work related...

http://tnerb-myfirstblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/theyshould-give-you-raise-i-hate-when.html

13013.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I started reading and collecting comics just when DC was revamping after Crisis, so I never knew what a mess their continuity was until later. I was lucky to jump on then because everything they were doing was being well done. I wasn't sure about also buying marvel books, but some kids at school kept insisting, so I took the plunge. That being said this issue was the first spiderman book I read. I loved it. I am pretty sure I still have the full size promotional poster for the series. It is awesome.

This was an awesome read for me and brought back memories of the old comic rack that used to be so common in the 90's. I used to go by the 7/11 in my town all the time and have a copy of this one. While in what I would call child worn condition still an awesome series.

Still the funniest thing I found when I was a kid...Kravens wearing a thong.

I was actually just thinking about this storyline yesterday and wondering if I should collect it again. Great looking copy you have there of ASM #293, and nice write-up. I really like the art from all the books in this crossover - Amazing 293 294, Web of 31 32, Spectacular 131 132, but I think ASM #293 is my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Another good storyline is the one right before this, Gang War, in ASM #284-288. I'll have to go home and see if I still have that one so I can re-read it as well. :)

sig.jpg