• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 121 vs ASM 328 on the OCAL

92 posts in this topic

Yeah, but I wonder if the ASM 328 cover didn't have an influence on whether the seller would put his ASM 121 cover up for auction in the first place. Perhaps there was no relationship between the 328 and what the 121 would ultimately realize but the 328 might have put stars in the eyes of the seller. With that said, would the seller actually be a little disappointed in the final price, even though it's a really strong price?

No doubt. Just as the DKR splash brought all kinds of Frank Miller art out of the woodwork. From a 5 year drought to multiple DKR pages every auction. This sort of reaction is predictable. But the market always sorts things out. I hope the seller didn't buy into any of the pre-auction hype. If he did, he may feel some disappointment for a moment. Over time, with some perspective, he'll hopefully see that he actually did well, all things considered.

I think the seller is happy. I remember a time when he would have traded the cover for 25k, the original painting to the KISS album cover LOVE GUN, and a Romita Spider-man panel page.

I was willing to make that deal with him, at the time, quite a number of years ago. The problem was I couldn't find the KISS painting. Oh well.

Interesting. Quite a nice painting. Who is that by?

love.jpg

Yeah, but I wonder if the ASM 328 cover didn't have an influence on whether the seller would put his ASM 121 cover up for auction in the first place. Perhaps there was no relationship between the 328 and what the 121 would ultimately realize but the 328 might have put stars in the eyes of the seller. With that said, would the seller actually be a little disappointed in the final price, even though it's a really strong price?

No doubt. Just as the DKR splash brought all kinds of Frank Miller art out of the woodwork. From a 5 year drought to multiple DKR pages every auction. This sort of reaction is predictable. But the market always sorts things out. I hope the seller didn't buy into any of the pre-auction hype. If he did, he may feel some disappointment for a moment. Over time, with some perspective, he'll hopefully see that he actually did well, all things considered.

I don't know him, but assuming he is married I will assume his wife is happy today! ;)

Glen:

I am also curious as to your take as to the current value of the Love Gun painting. I find rock n roll art interesting. Although its not a direction I care to go at this time it *would* be pretty cool to own the cover to a classic album one grew up with.

Honestly I have no idea what the painting is worth. It's not my area.

I'm sure there are a lot of fans that would like to own it--they sold a huge number of these albums back then. If you told me the painting was worth between 50-100k, I'd believe you.

I think the seller is happy. I remember a time when he would have traded the cover for 25k, the original painting to the KISS album cover LOVE GUN, and a Romita Spider-man panel page.

I was willing to make that deal with him, at the time, quite a number of years ago. The problem was I couldn't find the KISS painting. Oh well.

Interesting. Quite a nice painting. Who is that by?

love.jpg

Ken Kelly .... he also did the Destroyer album

http://www.kenkellyfantasyart.com/kiss.html

Honestly I have no idea what the painting is worth. It's not my area.

I'm sure there are a lot of fans that would like to own it--they sold a huge number of these albums back then. If you told me the painting was worth between 50-100k, I'd believe you.

Thx. I was thinking something like that but I'd also believe you if you had told me 25k or 150k lol But yeah, 50-100 makes sense.

In auction in June of 2000 the album artwork sold:

$25,875 paid for an original KISS painting of the Love Gun album cover by K.W. Kelly. Also included is a black wood heavy-duty display stand

I don't know if it has sold since then or who the owner is

$25,875 paid for an original KISS painting of the Love Gun album cover by K.W. Kelly. Also included is a black wood heavy-duty display stand

wow, great info, thx! :) 13 years ago now!

I believe that Gene Simmons owned this one and the Destroyer cover art. I remember being 11 yrs old when that album came out and being blown away....Those where the days. :cloud9:

I saw a painting of the Guns and Roses logo that was used inside one of the CD's. It wasn't even a cover, just a logo from inside. Guy was asking $20K for it. Now that was too much IMO, mind you, but it adds a little perspective.

^ that was probably Matt Ellis(?) who is around on the boards from time to time.

With this sort of stuff one has to remember that there aren't 20 pages a month, there's a handful TOTAL.

Most promo pieces and album covers are photos. Even when an album is a painting well it's one piece every three years not 20 pages per month (720 pages over three years... Vs one). So high asking prices have to be expected. Whether or not they sell for the ask is a different question; who knows, it would be very specific to the piece and band I imagine. But as a seller you would just have to start high

I saw a painting of the Guns and Roses logo that was used inside one of the CD's. It wasn't even a cover, just a logo from inside. Guy was asking $20K for it. Now that was too much IMO, mind you, but it adds a little perspective.

I'd like to see the Rob't Williams inner cover from Appetite for Destruction. :cloud9: