• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 121 vs ASM 328 on the OCAL

92 posts in this topic

hey guys its Matthew . I owned 3 GnR paintings by RK Sloane. Two of them were used for merchandise and the third which I think vintagecomics was talking about was used on the inside of use your illusions but also on probably 100 different merchandise items. It was so popular it was used on the drum head during tours in the 90's. It was also used for a cover for some over seas albums and US dvd releases of concerts by GNR. Another words other then the Appetite and Kostabi Illusions paintings which Axel owns probably it was the most recognized image from GNR and from a very famous late artist RK Sloane. Having said all that I was asking 5k not 20k for it and it sold right away to a very happy buyer who feels it is worth much MUCH more. Now that painting of the inside of the GNR appetite album I could have got in the 200k+ range if I remember correctly but keep in mind when you see how much it is that it is the most famous piece ever done by Robert Williams who commands those kinda prices for some of his top tier pieces as well as being a classic piece in music history. There was a big stink about that piece back in the day and everyone who is a fan of GnR knows that image very well.

thanks,

Matthew Ellis

Guns N Roses was the last really huge American rock band and AFD is the quintessential popular rock album of the past 25 years. GNR has 20 million facebook likes and the band broke up 18 years ago. Slash has 10 million likes. There is a market. If it's the logo i'm thinking of, it was EVERYWHERE for 5 or 6 years back then. Everyone liked that one much more than the actual cover art for the album.

731869guns_n_roses_logo_500.jpg

Guns N Roses was the last really huge American rock band and AFD is the quintessential popular rock album of the past 25 years. GNR has 20 million facebook likes and the band broke up 18 years ago. Slash has 10 million likes. There is a market. If it's the logo i'm thinking of, it was EVERYWHERE for 5 or 6 years back then. Everyone liked that one much more than the actual cover art for the album.

731869guns_n_roses_logo_500.jpg

That's the piece.

Matt, my recollection was different but I could be mistaken. I just don't think I would have passed on it at $5K as I am a HUGE GnR fan.

Oh well.

Yep thats the piece I sold a year or so ago. Great piece and was published for everything from belt buckles to watches. Ya sold it on ebay for a buy it now for 5k. Sold pretty fast and probably was underpriced but I would have loved to have gotten 20k for it =(((

Probably worth a solid 10k in todays market. Some of the art related to music has really picked up in the last 2 years.

Yep thats the piece I sold a year or so ago. Great piece and was published for everything from belt buckles to watches. Ya sold it on ebay for a buy it now for 5k. Sold pretty fast and probably was underpriced but I would have loved to have gotten 20k for it =(((

Probably worth a solid 10k in todays market. Some of the art related to music has really picked up in the last 2 years.

It hurts my stomach to know that could have been had for 5k last year and I missed it! :cry: That's my personal favorite vintage GNR art. Matt, could you tell me what medium the art was done in?

Hey Dan-- Way to sneak a bewb onto the forums. This night is looking up!

Also-- Love this art, nice google-fu!

ROFL thanks brah lol

Always looking for more bewb!! :banana:

Say, now that you've got me looking at the picture more closely it looks like there is some kinda red animal and a robot in the pickcher too. Who knew? hm

Matt,

May I ask your opinion on what the range on that Love Gun painting is these days?

Hello King Koa,

Ya its a great piece. Pretty large too. It is painted all acrylics by RK Sloane who was the GnR art director after appetite for the band. Every time I put on a GnR cd I kinda regret selling it =(

-Bronty..

As for the Love Gun Kiss painting it is so hard to tell with this kinda stuff. That is an extremely popular painting and by Ken Kelly in his vintage days. I wouldnt be surprised if somebody had the original and wanted 70-100k+. I actually think that is a pretty modest estimate. Also keep in mind Kelly has done some recreations over the years of this album if I am not mistaken so that estimation applies to the original album cover painting obviously.

thanks,

Matthew

Luckily you have all that great Mcfarlane and BIZ stuff still to dull the pain a little Matt, but i don't blame you, AFD seems to be re-discovered by a new crop of teenagers every generation. R.K. Sloane's logo really fit the sound of the album.

I would love to see what the Richard Corben bat out of hell cover would bring. That's my favorite fantasy art related cover

I'm the biggest GN'R fan I know, but there's no way on earth my girlfriend would tolerate that painting in the house unless it was buried deep in the back of a closet (and maybe not even then!) I think you would have to be hard core into the rock n' roll lifestyle (or otherwise be very edgy and/or rough around the edges) to be able to get away with displaying something like that. I just don't see that one going over very well with the kind of houseguests I have over. lol

I think I did see Matt's Sloane GN'R painting for sale on eBay a while back - it's very cool; I had a GN'R t-shirt with that image on it 20+ years ago...I guess I just didn't feel that I had to own the original. Now if those Kostabi "Use Your Illusion" paintings ever came up for sale, that might be another story, however. hm

I'm the biggest GN'R fan I know, but there's no way on earth my girlfriend would tolerate that painting in the house unless it was buried deep in the back of a closet (and maybe not even then!)

Tell her it was painted by Salvadore Dali's illegitimate nephew and you were able to get it in the nick of time before the vultures from the MOMA swooped in and grabbed it. lol

Tell her it was painted by Salvador Dali's illegitimate nephew and you were able to get it in the nick of time before the vultures from the MOMA swooped in and grabbed it. lol

That wouldn't impress her - she thinks Salvador Dali painted facile images that appeal to high school age boys discovering fine art for the first time. In other words, barely one step above comic art. :sorry:

I'm the biggest GN'R fan I know, but there's no way on earth my girlfriend would tolerate that painting in the house unless it was buried deep in the back of a closet (and maybe not even then!) I think you would have to be hard core into the rock n' roll lifestyle (or otherwise be very edgy and/or rough around the edges) to be able to get away with displaying something like that. I just don't see that one going over very well with the kind of houseguests I have over. lol

I think I did see Matt's Sloane GN'R painting for sale on eBay a while back - it's very cool; I had a GN'R t-shirt with that image on it 20+ years ago...I guess I just didn't feel that I had to own the original. Now if those Kostabi "Use Your Illusion" paintings ever came up for sale, that might be another story, however. hm

meh, I'd have that up in my house somewhere. Maybe not in the living room but possibly the office in a tasteful location.

I know what you are saying and obviously at that kind of price point its a consideration, but I buy lots of art I wouldnt necessarily hang, dont you? Certainly its a big plus if I can hang it but generally not fatal to my interest in the piece (although at this price level....).

Tell her it was painted by Salvador Dali's illegitimate nephew and you were able to get it in the nick of time before the vultures from the MOMA swooped in and grabbed it. lol

That wouldn't impress her - she thinks Salvador Dali painted facile images that appeal to high school age boys discovering fine art for the first time. In other words, barely one step above comic art. :sorry:

Your GF has a lot of style! Congrats.

meh, I'd have that up in my house somewhere. Maybe not in the living room but possibly the office in a tasteful location.

yeah but not all of us can pull off wearing leather pants Roy :insane::baiting: which is to Gene's point ;)