• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post office to Cut Saturday Mail!

52 posts in this topic

Even better is that everyone knows it is overfunded but they won't return the money to the Post Office.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/postal-service-federal-pension-contributions-105-percent-overfunded/2012/06/25/gJQAXrva2V_blog.html

I think I am treading water here...

Why not make the USPS do something that FedEx and UPS aren't forced to do? If we get rid of the USPS, private carriers can do the same thing, better, faster and cheaper. :P

I use Fedex Ground for a lot of my larger shipments nowadays. While it may be more expensive then Parcel Post, its way faster, more reliable, and offers tracking I can't get through the USPS.

The USPS still provides a valuable service, and at an excellent cost to the consumer, but it needs to streamline its operations (and apparently get Congress off of its back) to remain competitive.

The agency's biggest problem — and the majority of the red ink in 2012 — was not due to reduced mail flow but rather to mounting mandatory costs for future retiree health benefits, which made up $11.1 billion of the losses. Without that and other related labor expenses, the mail agency sustained an operating loss of $2.4 billion, lower than the previous year.

The health payments are a requirement imposed by Congress in 2006 that the post office set aside $55 billion in an account to cover future medical costs for retirees. The idea was to put $5.5 billion a year into the account for 10 years. That's $5.5 billion the post office doesn't have.

No other government agency is required to make such a payment for future medical benefits. Postal authorities wanted Congress to address the issue last year, but lawmakers finished their session without getting it done. So officials are moving ahead to accelerate their own plan for cost-cutting.

The Postal Service is in the midst of a major restructuring throughout its retail, delivery and mail processing operations. Since 2006, it has cut annual costs by about $15 billion, reduced the size of its career workforce by 193,000 or by 28 percent, and has consolidated more than 200 mail processing locations, officials say.

Just so people are clear, the reason why the USPS is in trouble is because of the above. I'm sure its just a coincidence that the Congress members who sponsored and pushed this requirement through are all from the Memphis area.

So aside from the implied Fedex connection, what's so wrong about making sure a government subsidized agency actually sets money aside for its future obligations? I would imagine I might actually be able to collect Social Security when I retire if that was the case, though its looking very likely I'll never see a penny of what I pay into the system.

It is incredibly overfunded. They have enough set aside for retirement benefits for people they haven't even hired yet.

If that's true, then that's nuts.

Even better is that everyone knows it is overfunded but they won't return the money to the Post Office.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/postal-service-federal-pension-contributions-105-percent-overfunded/2012/06/25/gJQAXrva2V_blog.html

Absolutely. This is a completely unnecessary requirement that has been slapped on top of the USPS and on no other Federal, state, or local agency.

If the USPS goes away, the screaming that will be heard from people will be comical. There will be OUTRAGED and SHOCKED people just butthurt that they can't send a letter anymore for 45 cents, and that now it costs twelve dollars to send their Christmas card. Will be amusing. Just amusing.

Why not make the USPS do something that FedEx and UPS aren't forced to do? If we get rid of the USPS, private carriers can do the same thing, better, faster and cheaper. :P

I use Fedex Ground for a lot of my larger shipments nowadays. While it may be more expensive then Parcel Post, its way faster, more reliable, and offers tracking I can't get through the USPS.

The USPS still provides a valuable service, and at an excellent cost to the consumer, but it needs to streamline its operations (and apparently get Congress off of its back) to remain competitive.

Fed Ex ground is awesome.

I've gotten things in 2-3 days for a fraction of the price of Fed Ex 2 day or express services.

We don't get any mail delivered on Saturday in Canada. We're civilized.

Wait until you see the cost when there's 1 less competitor.

Are the Elk that pull the wagons in a union or something?

You're kidding, right?

The USPS can't be competitive with FedEx or UPS because it can't - by law - compete on the same level as those two private services.

The USPS cannot (1) market price its services and (2) refuse to ship somewhere. There are many places in the United States where FedEx Ground or UPS won't deliver. There are NO places in the United States where the USPS won't deliver - because there's a Congressional requirement for "universal service.". Further, you may have noted that the package on FedEx Ground costs more to ship farther away - the USPS can't for first class mail do that.

Let the USPS compete on the same level as the private companies, and I have absolutely no doubt the USPS would - because of the far superior infrastructure - be an extremely effective competitor.

To say how wonderful FedEx and UPS are compared to the USPS is like comparing women's and men's basketball - they aren't the same thing.

Wouldn't making Saturday delivery possible at an additional cost like Fed Ex does help keep it profitable?

I think the main issue there is that a letter sent on a Tuesday MAY get there by Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday. Who would be responsible for paying the difference in delivery? The sender? The receiver? I certainly don't want to get hit for a Saturday surcharge on bills and solicitations that can easily wait until Monday.

With Fedex, its easy...if they say three days, its going to be there in three days. Their tracking system allows for it...the USPS' does not.

Are the Elk that pull the wagons in a union or something?

sw50sw8sw578.gif

You're kidding, right?

The USPS can't be competitive with FedEx or UPS because it can't - by law - compete on the same level as those two private services.

The USPS cannot (1) market price its services and (2) refuse to ship somewhere. There are many places in the United States where FedEx Ground or UPS won't deliver. There are NO places in the United States where the USPS won't deliver - because there's a Congressional requirement for "universal service.". Further, you may have noted that the package on FedEx Ground costs more to ship farther away - the USPS can't for first class mail do that.

Yes, but they certainly charge more for Priority Mail, don't they?

Let the USPS compete on the same level as the private companies, and I have absolutely no doubt the USPS would - because of the far superior infrastructure - be an extremely effective competitor.

To say how wonderful FedEx and UPS are compared to the USPS is like comparing women's and men's basketball - they aren't the same thing.

No, the analogy is more appropriate if you suggest a women's team (USPS) has to face men's teams (UPS and Fedex) in a tournament, hogtied by restrictions and congressional meddling that makes them less likely to compete.

You're kidding, right?

Actually they can't compete on things like First Class mail letters, media mail, etc. These have inflation based price caps.

On all the services authorized to ship comic books, including: First Class Package Services, Parcel Post (now Standard Post), Priority Mail, Express Mail and all international services the Postal Service generally can price these products to the market as if they were a private sector company.

Wouldn't making Saturday delivery possible at an additional cost like Fed Ex does help keep it profitable?

I think the main issue there is that a letter sent on a Tuesday MAY get there by Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday. Who would be responsible for paying the difference in delivery? The sender? The receiver? I certainly don't want to get hit for a Saturday surcharge on bills and solicitations that can easily wait until Monday.

With Fedex, its easy...if they say three days, its going to be there in three days. Their tracking system allows for it...the USPS' does not.

Fed Ex and UPS charge a hell of a lot more money for their guaranteed services than USPS. Like Donut said, the USPS legally cannot compete price wise with their competitors.

The fact that USPS even has a tracking system period when they have to, legally mind you, charge less than their competitors while paying their employees similar wages and paying a ridiculous amount into the pension fund that their competitors don't is amazing.

I also have to imagine that the amount of volume, piece wise, is utterly staggering in comparison to Fed Ex and UPS.

Word is that this is expected to butthurt the hobby.

Only if they don't read it closely and see that package delivery (read: comics) will still be 6 days a week.

Unless there are boardies that are pen pals in the old school sense and time their snail mail letters to arrive on the weekend I don't think it will be even a blip in the commerce super expressway that is the CGC stream of industry.

Yes that is what I am assuming as well.

This doesn't the hobby what so ever. (shrug)

Just making those check or money orders that may have to wait till Monday if they just sent them with a regular postage stamp.

Fed Ex and UPS charge a hell of a lot more money for their guaranteed services than USPS.

Can't speak to UPS, but Fedex Ground is very competitive now, especially for a guaranteed service.

Fed Ex and UPS charge a hell of a lot more money for their guaranteed services than USPS.

Can't speak to UPS, but Fedex Ground is very competitive now, especially for a guaranteed service.

Fed Ex ground drivers (I don't remember about the warehouse workers) are considered independent contractors. No benefits, pensions etc. and that allows them to keep their pricing down.

If I remember right, Fed Ex ground used to be Roadway. Fed Ex just bought them and slapped Fed Ex ground on everything so not a lot of cost in building business or infrastructure.