• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post office to Cut Saturday Mail!

52 posts in this topic

As to changing with the times, I'm all for it. Mail is decreasing...may as well decrease service there. Package delivery won't be impacted in terms of transit--just the delivery on Sat.

Not going to touch the other junk. That's for another board.

As to changing with the times, I'm all for it. Mail is decreasing...may as well decrease service there. Package delivery won't be impacted in terms of transit--just the delivery on Sat.

Not going to touch the other junk. That's for another board.

+1 !

I know USPS tellers the ones that take the comics from the front desk that when you add up all the health benefits and pensions that the average USA Postal worker makes more money than the average Doctors,Lawyers and people with MBAs. The average postal worker is set for life when the retire at 55. That`s why they are going bankrupt.

Who would have thunk it was better to become a postman than go to law,business or medical school?

hm

Really? Please do tell, because when I left my job as a Letter Carrier, my pay jumped over 300%. My retirement is considerably better, and I haven't been bitten by a dog since I quit. My back, shoulders and knees also feel a lot better.

I have little or no sympathy when I read headlines about government run organizations. Typically they have set line item budgets that they have to exhaust each year for fear that it will be cut in the following budget if its not used. This happens every where, right down to municpal governing bodies, etc. The amount of waste and over inflated management salaries is staggering. Canada for example had/has almost a $60B surplus from over funded unemployment payments that the government apparently transferred into "general revenues" so they could balance their budget. They are all a bunch of crooks as far as I'm concern. That's my rant for the day.

The Post Office was doing fine for a few hundred years when it was funded by the Government. Stamps stayed at 3 cents for millions of years, Then some dufus in the '70s decided let the Post Office make a profit. Since then prices have skyrocketed.

You don't see other government services having to make a profit, does the Parks Dept make a profit, no, Government pays for it, just like they used to with the P.O.

persdonally, i'm fine with not getting the junk mail on saturdays. honestly, i wouldn't even be that irritated about not getting packages. i do like having the post office branch open because friday night/saturday morning is when i get a chance to get stuff packed up.

another huge cost is having so many small branch offices. every town (or is it every zip code?) has one. we're talking about post offices out there in the hinterlands serving a few people, but cost as much as one in a dense metropolitan area. i dunno if these are mandated by law or what. yes, it is convenient and i can understand why people in montana may not want to drive 70 miles to the nearest post office. with that said, don't blame the usps for some of the inefficiency in the system when they are required by law to deliver a letter to some location in rural montana for 45 cents when it no doubt may costs several bucks for it to actually get there. fedex and ups can charge accordingly.

as for pensions...it sounds like they're terrible. i got this off a website re: how to calculate your postal pension:

"Multiply your three-year average by 1.1 percent for each year of service if you worked for 20 years or more and are more than 62 years old. So, if you are 64 years old and worked for 20 years with a three-year high average of $30,000 a year, then your annual pension payment will be 22 percent of $30,000 (20 years x 1.1 percent). This is $6,600 a year."

So, let's say by the end of 20 years you are making $60K (which is around average for a full-time carrier), we're still only talking about a $13,200 a year pension. ramen noodles anyone?

true, 20 years in the military, 20 years in the post office and I guess you have 2 pensions?

alternatively, i have read that the average pension for a mail carrier is $15K.

it is the cost of retirement health benefits that is killer though.

The Post Office was doing fine for a few hundred years when it was funded by the Government. Stamps stayed at 3 cents for millions of years, Then some dufus in the '70s decided let the Post Office make a profit. Since then prices have skyrocketed.

You don't see other government services having to make a profit, does the Parks Dept make a profit, no, Government pays for it, just like they used to with the P.O.

The PO is struggling because mail volumes are dropping.