• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I had an eBay seller ask to cancel a perfectly good transaction...

43 posts in this topic

Ok Billy. Gimme a break. Kinda like a guy who would go get car insurance just for the tabs then never pay the insurance Get cancelled get in an accident and have no insurance. Drives up the cost for all do us who have never been in an accident. Kinda the same isn't it?

Talk about cheating the system. Just on a larger scale. If I buy a book from a guy who wants to deal off eBay with no transaction involved then who is harmed. No one. It's not stealing as one poster put. I don't steal from anyone and never have ..that's a bit harsh IMO

I just looked at one of my random items and the fees with paypal and DVD insertion fees etc on a 64 dollar transaction was 8.18. Hardly the 5% the other guy Said it was. Just a hair under 13% Regardless if people do off eBay transactions or not they will continue to jack up their rates period. It's been like that for a while now Highly unlikely that joe sold me a 25 dollar book off eBay and they didn't get their 250. It's called greed that drives up the fees not the side deals people make. It's irrelevant in the grand scheme. And why are so many of you up in arms because some people like to deal outside eBay.

If you choose not to. Don't. That's up to you. Let your conscience be your guide. I for one am ok with side deals and have made a lot of connections in the comic world

I say to each his own. I have stated my opinion fwiw. Some may not agree. Some may but I have to live with my choices just like anyone else does.

This is like beating my head against the wall. It's pointless so I can agree to disagree on this one.

Jerry, 100% in agreement with everything you said, everyone goes over the speed limit, some choose to see, some don't...Goodjob

While I dont agree with trying to weasel out of fees once the transaction is done, if I have a book up for sale and get an offer to buy it off Ebay, I dont see how that is immoral, or unethical.

Because you got the benefit of the exposure that Ebay provides. If you hadn't listed on Ebay it's possible you may never have received that offer for a sale if you didn't have it available through some other venue - which you would have had to pay for.

What about the LCS that has alot of inventory on Ebay, then gets a customer come in the store and wants to buy the book? Should he not sell it to them? Ebay gets thier listing fee, and thats the only service they provided for that seller. Saying its wrong reminds me of this...

Because the LCS pays rent/mortgage, utilities, advertising, etc. - all the expenses associated with running a brick and mortar store. Having that store is what enables him to receive that offer outside Ebay and paying all those expenses for a storefront is what justifies him selling outside Ebay. If he had sold it on Ebay, he likely paid the Ebay fees....and then written them off as a business expense. One of the benefits of being and actual dealer.

What about the all the people, on here and on Ebay, that use the USPS cardboard to protect comics while being shipped?? Even some people who chimmed in here. That IS stealing! Now I wont get my mail on Saturday because of you!

Ok, setting the legality of this aside, for those of you who are doing this: PLEASE, for love of God and the comics you are shipping, STOP DOING THIS! I know you think you're being really clever and have found a loop-hole to get free cardboard. But those USPS boxes are made of such flimsy cardboard, cutting them up for packing books does NOT provide the same kind of protection as stiff, corrugated cardboard. I can't count how many raw books I've had dropped a grade or more being shipped with that carpy postal cardboard for protection.

Sorry, rantrant over.

I was just about to type this, to anyone who says 'I'm not hurting anyone by posting on eBay then dealing off site'. If you use eBay's world wide servers to find a buyer, you are using a service. Pay for it.

What about the all the people, on here and on Ebay, that use the USPS cardboard to protect comics while being shipped?? Even some people who chimmed in here. That IS stealing! Now I wont get my mail on Saturday because of you!

You're joking, right? If you're using USPS cardboard to ship hundreds of items through USPS, then guess who benefits? USPS. Especially when you factor in that the cardboard used to protect comics in shipping can be used over and over and over again. The USPS financial problems aren't due to the high cost of cardboard, they're due to the sea changes in the ways people communicate.