• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I had an eBay seller ask to cancel a perfectly good transaction...

43 posts in this topic

Seller shipped the comics last week. I received them Tuesday, and since they were actually better than expected, I left glowing positive feedback.

Moments later, the seller sends me a message asking to cancel the transaction so he can save on the "high seller fees." This was a $73 transaction, so we're talking about $6-7 in fees. I ignored the message, so he sends me a formal cancellation request on eBay. :facepalm:

His official reason for canceling is he "ran out of stock," which is clearly a lie since he uploaded the tracking info to eBay and marked the order as shipped. Needless to say, I denied the request and foiled this buffoon's attempt to cheat the system.

I hate paying eBay fees too, but it's the cost of doing business. Even though this transaction turned out fine for me, I'm not sure I would buy from this seller again because now I know he's a little shady.

Just out of curiosity. If he had emailed you and said . If there is ever any other items you want. Could you please let me know and could we work off Ebay to save me the sellers fees. Would you have been ok with that ? Or would it have taken a few more transactions to feel that comfortable doing that. Or is it something you would never consider ?

I've done that a few times, and never had a problem. Usually it starts with me winning an auction, then looking through the seller's other items to save on shipping. If I find a few items, I'll email the seller and ask if he will consider a volume discount. The typical response is "maybe, send me your list and I'll tell you"

So then I'll send my list, and provided the seller has a good ebay rating, I'm okay if the seller asks to do the deal outside ebay. but I'll pay using my credit card on paypal, so I have some protection if the seller doesn't ship. But i've never had a problem.

I've done that a few times, and never had a problem. Usually it starts with me winning an auction, then looking through the seller's other items to save on shipping. If I find a few items, I'll email the seller and ask if he will consider a volume discount. The typical response is "maybe, send me your list and I'll tell you"

So then I'll send my list, and provided the seller has a good ebay rating, I'm okay if the seller asks to do the deal outside ebay. but I'll pay using my credit card on paypal, so I have some protection if the seller doesn't ship. But i've never had a problem.

Has anyone got burned this way ? I would think it would be rare .

I never thought of asking anyone to cancel a good transaction to save on the fees . I accept the fees as doing business . I would also think Ebay would look for this and investigate anyone that has alot of them .

Has anyone got burned this way ? I would think it would be rare .

I never thought of asking anyone to cancel a good transaction to save on the fees . I accept the fees as doing business . I would also think Ebay would look for this and investigate anyone that has alot of them .

I imagine they do have an alert report if someone has a higher than acceptable percentage of cancelled transactions (seller initiated).

As long as you are using paypal I dont think you are any more/less likely to get burned. All that's different is you dont have the ebay feedback/resolution monolith at your disposal to try and resolve any dispute (only paypals).

And I've done the same thing (bundled a few non-ebay buys with an ebay buy after scoping the sellers store).

I understand feeling like its "shady" and I have not done this with an official EBay sale, but....I can feel his pain too. It's why I got rid of my Ebay store and went back to having my own store...between the EBay store fees, the ever-increasing FVF and PayPal fees, it's almost impossible to make any money really, unless you're a high volume seller or sell large value items.

I love paying EBay fees monthly!

Why...

Because it means I made money. Gotta pay to play.

Thus endeth this reading from the Gospel of Jesperson:

praise_zps4c3ed71a.gif

Just out of curiosity. If he had emailed you and said . If there is ever any other items you want. Could you please let me know and could we work off Ebay to save me the sellers fees. Would you have been ok with that ? Or would it have taken a few more transactions to feel that comfortable doing that. Or is it something you would never consider ?

I've done deals outside of eBay with eBay sellers and haven't had a problem. When this is done it's usually beneficial to both parties - a slightly lower price to the buyer and no fees for the seller.

I did, of course, have an issue with the seller trying to unethically recoup fees from a valid transaction.

Why not avoid fees if you can ?? I'm all for it. There fees have gone up so much that it leaves little meat on the bone for us... If your not a powerseller your gonna be our 15to 18 % with p pal fees. That's a lot of money

IMO. If I can get a better price for a book I don't really care if they " beat the system". I got a better price. That's all that matters to me

Why not avoid fees if you can ?? I'm all for it. There fees have gone up so much that it leaves little meat on the bone for us... If your not a powerseller your gonna be our 15to 18 % with p pal fees. That's a lot of money

IMO. If I can get a better price for a book I don't really care if they " beat the system". I got a better price. That's all that matters to me

Morals and ethics be damned, huh?

I'm a "Top Rated Plus" seller and paid about 9 - 10% of my total sales in eBay & PayPal fees combined last month. I also include free shipping in almost all of my listings so that cost me roughly 4-5% on top of that.

So about 85% of listing price comes back to me after all fees & shipping expensives.

I'm fine with that.

I don't know where the 18% top end comes from for non-power sellers. Last I checked it was maybe 10 - 12% before PayPal fees.

Morals and ethics be damned, huh?

Pretty much yep. I'm fine with my moral and ethical behavior

I sleep just fine at night

You ever fudge a tax return mr morals ??? Though morally and ethically wrong we all do it don't we. A few bucks here or there Ever speed?? Ever smoke a joint ?? Ever have a few too many drinks and drive. Should I keep going. ?? Those are illegal things but we all have done them right??

I wouldn't worry to much about eBay. I think they will survive