• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fanzines

19 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone here is a collector. I have acquired a few issues of SquaTront but Im a bit ignorant regarding what else is out there???

mainly curious about the EC memorium zines.

Can't think of any other EC oriented fanzines except Comics Journal with a Wm Stout Max Gaines cover. Lots of other zines to collect like Alter Ego, RBCC, early newsprint covered Comic Bk Marketplace (when Gary Carter was at the helm). gossip.gif

Perhaps Jon Warren's Comic Source which is more like an indexed ad-zine pre-eBay.

Red:

A great EC fanzine is Spa Fon. It ran 5 issues with the last a pretty slick package with a Frazetta cover. It was published by Chicago collector, Rich Hauser. I still have 2-5, but in a weak moment sold my # 1 nearly 10 years ago. I know I'll never find another.

Another fanzine focusing on EC was Third Rail. There were also a lot of EC one-shots and cross-overs with Frazetta, Williamson, Wood, Krenkel, etc. in the title.

--Gary

You might be interested in trying a copy of this new fanzine (the publisher is making them available through eBay).

ec fan-addict fanzine

There was also a fanzine named Horror from the Crypt of Fear (#13 is the current issue)

I think Bud Plant has copies of 9-13. (www.budplant.com)

There was also one issue of a fanzine named Qua Brot that was put out in the 1980's. Copies show up regularly on eBay.

I've been looking all over the place for a fanzine from the late seventies/early eighties called Collector's Dream. It had great articles on Gold and Silver. Anyone know if these can be obtained anywhere?

I've been looking all over the place for a fanzine from the late seventies/early eighties called Collector's Dream. It had great articles on Gold and Silver. Anyone know if these can be obtained anywhere?
I have them all. There were printed in Canada so perhaps a Canadian dealer like Doug Sulipa would be able to help you. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Overstreet interview circa 1977

That Overstreet interview is something that sticks in my mind; I remember it really got me stoked for Golden Age stuff. Hopefully, I'll be able to track down some of these soon.

Just curious if anyone here is a collector. I have acquired a few issues of SquaTront but Im a bit ignorant regarding what else is out there???

mainly curious about the EC memorium zines.

RedRaven,

Check out "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" by Bill Schelly. Price is only $14.95. Amazon.com. Covers the begining of Comic Fandom, Fanzines, early comic book stores, first mail-order dealers, first Comic Book Conventions & more!

A really good read! thumbsup2.gif

1 of the best pro-zines was Gary Carter's CBM series 1 (1991), not to be confused with Overstreet's glossy CBM. This issue had Carter's big ad listing Mile High DCs for sale & zillatoy's article on Top 10 Underpriced GA. The letter's page was also a blast to read. Some Jerry Weist ads for EC & Mad comics too.

cbm3.jpg

I have a complete run of CBM from its revival at ish 22 to the last Gary Carter issue. It truly is the best comic book fanzine/magazine I've ever read, with a depth of information about both the comic book market and the creators of the books that I haven't seen elsewhere. I'm just starting to read some of the newer Russ Cochran issues(thanks to a board member), and it's still a decent mag. But it's missing something since Gary left for other pastures. I wonder if he still collects comics?

With CBM #22 glossy cover reboot, Gary Carter would sometimes reprint some of his better articles & lists from the newsprint series 1 to fill the monthly issues. I believe Carter & his brother still show up at San Diego Comic-con each summer.

cbm1.jpg

crazy.gif SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT!!! crazy.gif

I suggest the fanzine Horror Comics Review. While not solely EC dedicated, there is a tribute page to the late Johnny Craig in #1, and 1 - 3 have several EC sales mentioned in the Market Mania column. Check my sig for a link! devil.gif