• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Wow Comicfest May 18-19 San Jose

49 posts in this topic

I have heard that Stan Lee sucks all the money out of the room.

I think that's doubtful for this particular show. It's very heavy in original art, underground/alt comics, and stuff that doesn't have Stan's name or co-creations in it. Being a Sunday only guest will be a big boon for attendance, I think. But hey, anything to remove competition for me for those art auctions will make me happy too.

Also many of the local collectors have gotten Stans sig through store signings with key Bay Area Silver/Golden comic dealers. But with Ramos, Campbell and Stan together, I expect even MORE copies of ASM 700 to get signed here :)

Wow! Stan is going to be at big wow?

The Big Wow Comic Fest looks to be a stronger comic book show for fans of actual comic books and comic book art than Wonder Con is and was (factoring out the the peripheral entertainment industry and pseudo celebrity clutter that annoys comic book purists), and is officially The Best Show in Northern California, and excluding San Diego Comic Con, it's also probably arguably the best show in the entire state of California (nothing held in the Los Angeles area even comes close to the caliber of talent featured at the Big Wow Comic Fest).

I have heard that Stan Lee sucks all the money out of the room.

But with Ramos, Campbell and Stan together, I expect even MORE copies of ASM 700 to get signed here :)

Ha! That's what I was planning on bringing to get signed by Stan and Ramos, but I might find a nice early '70s Incredible Hulk issue to get signed by Stan and Trimpe instead.

Would anyone liek to sub one magazine for me please and thank you.

I think you can do mail in submissions to get magazines CGC graded.

The Big Wow Comic Fest looks to be a stronger comic book show for fans of actual comic books and comic book art than Wonder Con is and was (factoring out the the peripheral entertainment industry and pseudo celebrity clutter that annoys comic book purists), and is officially The Best Show in Northern California, and excluding San Diego Comic Con, it's also probably arguably the best show in the entire state of California (nothing held in the Los Angeles area even comes close to the caliber of talent featured at the Big Wow Comic Fest).

Well said, Rick... I'm getting excited with the show approaching. I just hope my tax refund arrives before the 18th, but that just means I'll blow more money on artwork... :)

I'm probably a broken record, but seriously, if you guys like comics and/or comic book artwork and you can get to San Jose for the weekend of May 18th and 19th, you owe it to your collections to come to this show... :) All I ask for spreading the love of Big Wow Comic Fest is, please don't bid against me in the art auctions. :) (easier said than done, I realize)

I think the experience at Big Wow is second to none in California when it comes to comics and the artists. The only comic art dealer I wish would exhibit here is Romitaman. I just hope they can get attendees in the exhibit hall faster than they did last year.

Generally speaking it depends on what is on your agenda.

Convention shoppers usually say:

The 1st Day is where you find the rare stuff and possibly hidden gem bargians.

The Last Day is when you an bargain and negotiate, but most often not on the "hot" items but either slow moving inventory or replaceable stock inventory and large heavy items dealers don't want to bring back like trade paperbacks and statues.

That's why it's good to go both days, so you get a little of each.

I'm planning to go for one of the days. Besides Stan, is there any reason to favor one over the other for this show?

I'm going only on Sunday, so hopefully there's enough time to get 4-5 comics signed and still be able to do some serious bin digging, and take a few pictures with some costumed geeks.

I kinda regret waiting too long and missing out on the Stan Lee tickets, but at least that's $100 more I can spend on comics!

I'll be in the exhibit hall all day taking loads of photos. Look for the guy with a Red Skull t-shirt and tan shorts. That will most likely be me. I'm always up for meeting people at these cons.

Also.. anyone know current sketch prices for Ron Lim and Herb Trimpe? I'd probably just ask Ron for a Thanos. Herb for Hulk. I'm going to the ATM the night before or early Saturday morning.. those ATM machines at the convention take like $3 or $5 in fees. NUTS!