• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over/under on DC's latest series?

13 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this has been posted/discussed elsewhere.

Who on earth would greenlight this carp?

I say neither will make the 10th issue; my buddy is calling me ridiculously generous by suggesting either series would last that long...

Reinforces why I stay away from moderns.

I say neither will make the 10th issue; my buddy is calling me ridiculously generous by suggesting either series would last that long...

Have you considered reading the well written moderns? I am sorry, but there are ALOT of great books being published.

Have you considered reading the well written moderns? I am sorry, but there are ALOT of great books being published.

+1 Anything by Snyder at the moment is great. Also, the new Green Arrow writing team has promise.

1. Dont believe any of the pre-publishing hype. It all comes out of the marketing department and if DCs marketing dept is anything like ours they know almost nothing about the product or how to properly represent it to the consumers.

Oh and its not a new concept. its the return of these guys.. so your sweeping generalization should be about 70s comics, not moderns.

134373.jpg.b5fca301d7657de7e3e2d9bb52fdd632.jpg

Are any of them done by DC?

Brian Azzarello's Wonder woman is a great new take on the hero.

Aquaman is the best thing Johns is writing, and its a good tale too.

Scott Snyder's Batman is getting wide aclaim, and its well deserved.

Dial H is crazy fun, bursting with new ideas every month.

Jeff Lemaire is writing deep engaging stories both in Animal Man and Justice League Dark.

All Star Western is the best under-the radar book around. Moritat on art is something everyone should experience.

there's 7 books well worth reading regardless of your personal tastes. I know I'll read Batgirl and Green Lantern every month unless it got unbearably bad, but the above books? Great reads.

There are still so many great story arcs I need to read from the Silver and Bronze eras that I'll probably be tied up there for a long time. Plus I just prefer the style of art from those days. Things visually started to go south IMO around the early '90s - personal preference thing, I guess. Given you can pick up a ton of great books from 30, 40, or even 50 years ago at equivalent prices for what you'd pay at retail today - and given I have little time to sort out the wheat from the chaff at my LCS when it comes to moderns, I stick to what I know is a reliable bet. :preach:

Don't get me wrong, I'll occasionally dip my toe in the modern waters and I try to remain vaguely informed of any buzzworthy titles (hence my reading of the aforementioned article), but so much of it sounds confusing (where do you start if you haven't followed a series for years?) and the crossover nature of "event" storylines makes my head hurt. I picked up a few of the New 52 titles despite my inherent skepticism and thought they were awful; I shied away from Spidey 700 and it sounds like the consensus on the Spider-Ock angle is that it's a train wreck, but regardless, I just don't care for the art, anyway. Ultimately I tend to see what modern stuff stands the test of recent time and then pick up things like WD, Marvel Zombies and Civil War as trades for a song on Amazon. I also really dug Mark Millar's 1984 and Superman: Red Son miniseries - buying self-contained work like that is a better option for me than going along month to month investing time and $$$ wondering if it will all be worthwhile at the end of the day. (thumbs u

i loved

+1 Anything by Snyder at the moment is great. Also, the new Green Arrow writing team has promise.

GA 17 was great. loved this page

greenarrow-17-pg05.jpg

great idea to leave Emerson uncoloured

Brian Azzarello's Wonder woman is a great new take on the hero.

Aquaman is the best thing Johns is writing, and its a good tale too.

Scott Snyder's Batman is getting wide aclaim, and its well deserved.

Dial H is crazy fun, bursting with new ideas every month.

Jeff Lemaire is writing deep engaging stories both in Animal Man and Justice League Dark.

All Star Western is the best under-the radar book around. Moritat on art is something everyone should experience.

there's 7 books well worth reading regardless of your personal tastes. I know I'll read Batgirl and Green Lantern every month unless it got unbearably bad, but the above books? Great reads.

But for those 7 good reads did DC have to reboot the whole line?

Nobody is saying that DC doesn`t produce a few good comics.

The beef is they rebooted the whole line up,and have made it even more confusing.

Plus did they really have to cancel the long running Detective Comics and Batman just so Snyder could write a decent Batman comic book?

btw make it 6 good books as Johns quit Aquaman!

They way DC cancels books left and right and fires writers and artists I give them each 6 issues max!

If one goes back and looks at the first DC 52 launch we will find that almost half of the original line up has been canceled! I guess these DC guys had a master plan and stuck to it!

No really it was more like lets throw some spoon at the wall,and see if it sticks!

Let`s see how long we can fool them into buying this junk!

We will keep sales up artificially by manufacturing different 52 variant covers.

lol

Wow. Makes me embarrassed to be life-long DC Comics fan. :blush: But mainly feel embarrassed for DC. :screwy:

It's a shame we can't openly discuss political comics. Or maybe not. Maybe DC's goofy attempts at sociopolitical relevancy will vanish quickly and quietly. :wishluck: