• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Original!! posted by bagofleas

11 posts in this topic

Always wanted one!

I have always had a desire to start getting my hands on original comic art, but I have been so focused on CGC graded comics that I havent really pursued them.

Well that ends now!

Most of these originals are very expensive. It depends on what series it comes from or what characters it features or what particular issue its from or what artist did the art or any number of other factors.

I decided that since I was going to be at the Orlando Megacon I would try to find something that would be signable if not already signed so I did a thorough search and finally came up with one that fit the bill.

I didnt want to spend a lot of money but I was partial to something in a full splash page category. These often tend to be the more expensive items of this sort. It didnt have to feature an iconic character but I wanted it to be interesting.

I finally happened upon the original first page of Thunderbolts issue 9 drawn by Mark Bagley! I have always liked Mark for not only his art but for the fact that he shares my last name.

I love the image because it has so much going for it. A cityscape background. Rain. Destruction. A huge beast with lots of detail and its massiveness very apparent by its comparative size to everything else in the image including the frightened police officer in the bottom right corner. the laser blasts searing into the beasts chest as it roars its anger and pain.

No it doesnt have batman or spiderman or hulk or captain america or any other iconic comic character but thats ok. The art is spectacular and I just couldnt beat the price!

This particular piece has NOT been previously signed by Mark so I will take it with me to get signed and then have it framed and hung on my wall at home.

This is my first original art purchase and I couldnt be more pleased!

13045.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

T I couldn't agree more. After my first page quickly came my second, third, fourth, fifth and so on. I quickly became addicting. I have changed my goals around to compensate but knowing there is only one copy of something makes it that much harder to walk away from. Congrat's on your first of many.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The problem is that it is exponentially more expensive! So for most people on a budget (like me) you can't afford to get them as often.

For me, interesting splash pages will be most of the ones I ever go for, and even then it will depend on price and of course, my available funds.

At least with this addiction, I wont be able to spend so much money as often because of the cost.

:P

BTW Tnerb, I've been so busy this weekend I haven't been able to get up with you. But I will do so soon and we can talk about Megacon.

All I collect now is original art and sketches. I still buy and sell comic books but the art is all I save. I have two prized possessions. The first is Lobo's 1st solo story from Omega Man 37. It was done by Keith Giffen back in the 80's. There are 8 or 10 pages to the story and I have all but 1. My other is Justice League International 18. It is the last page of the book and is a splash. It is the iconic picture of Guy Gardner saying "I'm Back" right after getting hit in the head and becoming his nasty self again. It is a splash and was drawn by Kevin Maguire. I even had Maguire sign it recently.

Wow, cool page. Congrats! It'll look great signed and framed. You can get crazy with the framing costs as well and do some really cool things with the matting if you have an artistic framer and a vision. The basic frames can be cool too. I have done both. Whatever you decide you should post a pic when it's done. Again, congrats, Mark Bagley does nice work!

BigBlaster, that Maguire JLI page is an awesome pick up, I'd love to see a pic of it! I have been a JLI original art collector for a few years now, and have picked up some nice pieces. I have the Maguire's original cover to #4, Chris Sprouse's cover to #58, and a couple of Adam Hughes covers, 40 & 46, plus a lot of other stuff. But my JLI covers are definitely my pride and joy.

And while slabbed comics are addictive, comic art is like crack. I sold all of my comics, toys and other collectibles to get into it. I've since then started rebuilding my comic collection, but comic art is the real passion.

As for the OP, congrats, and welcome aboard! It will change your life, for sure. Nice pick up, too!

Anyone else have a page at comicartfans? Love to see them!

Brent's JLI original art

Hey F,

I am going to do a journal soon with a pic and the story of the art soon, but I have to finish up school for a week and a half.lol. Maguire's stuff has been pretty hot especially from the Justice League. I have seen some of it sell in the 8000 to 10000 range. I love the original art. The idea that it is the only one in the world makes it the ultimate in comic collecting.

I'd love to see the journal, I'll keep an eye out for it! Maguire is just the best. I'm glad I picked up the #4 cover when I saw it. It was a hefty chunk of change (for me) but I'm pretty sure it was a solid investment, and I definitely love having it. He's still one of the all time greats, IMO.