• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon -- May 17-19, 2013 -- Romita Jr, Shatner, Steranko, Fillion

156 posts in this topic

I got there 40 min after the show opened and there was still the line from the parking garage filing in, and they wouldn't let others in til the line was done. Crazy! The show was fairly full, but not to capacity by any means. DWC was set up away from both Romita JR, and where Steranko will sign tomorrow, so I don't know how that will affect the speed of Sig Series, but I can't imagine it will be as smooth as it was in years past. From the dealers I spoke to, the sales have not been too brisk so far, hope that changes for them tomorrow.

So far I have been pretty sucessful, I have over half my raw books signed, and just some easy lines and Sig Series for tomorrow. Steranko will be the long one, but I think it will hopefully go pretty smooth.

The artists/actors upstairs seemed to do a pretty decent business today, with the longest lines being Conroy and Frank (the power ranger). McGuyver was also pretty busy and had a long line. There was more of the comic artists on the third floor which is new, but I think it works out well. It's not really advertised well, but they are where some of the actors have been the past couple of shows ( big room on third floor ).

As far as the dealers go, they are all pretty much the sames ones from past years, with all the same stock. If you've seen a book there in February, it's probably back for May. Plenty of posters, t-shirts, toys, patches, wood cut outs, green screens, sports autographs, jewelry, bracelets, and Dr. Who stuff, but very very little in the way of VINTAGE COMICS at a comic show. Do all that other stuff at Fan Days, or Sci Fi expo. Please get some more real comic dealers at a show labeled Comic Con. ( Just rename this show "Comic Related Autograph and loosely branded comic book stuff" Convention)

Thanks to Boyd and Rick for having a nice selection of older books. There are also a few others, but it just burns me to come to something labled as a comic show, and have about 1/4 of the booths be devoted to comics.

Tomorrow I will be in black shorts, black polo, black hat with a white '78' on it. I'll be walking around with Mysterio. Feel free to say "Hi".

Good seeing you today Rob and look forward to seeing Art tomorrow.

I have to say to everyone else, this was probably the busiest Friday I've ever seen at this show. There were a lot of people there. Tomorrow is going to be packed full I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing you too Don. Was there any kind of blowback that anyone heard about with the Fillion cancellation? I can't see that just going away.

Some people seemed disappointed but remained in high spirits.

If anything, Fillion is really to blame because this is an obvious flake-out.

I completely lucked out with Romita yesterday. He had capped his line and it was down to just a couple people. When I walked up they asked if I was going to be there the rest of the weekend and since I wasn't, they let me go ahead.

Great day at the show! Got two books done for another boardie (enjoy Doug!), and got all my big stuff done. Subbed a Steranko on Daredevil 44 (cracked 8.5). Got John Morton on a 16x20 pic of Vader, Boba, and Lando (he wore the fett armor during that scene). And got (almost) the rest of my stuff signed. Show was 'silly packed' for most of the day. For a while they shut down the "down" side of the escalator, and switched it to a second "up" from the main floor. On the third level, it was just crazy packed, as you could not walk or move.

The Romita line was really long, and even though they gave out tickets to make it more manageable, it seemed to only make people more clueless and upset. People were waiting in line that did not know they had given away tickets in the morning, and people kept "jumping" in line ahead of them. The Fillion cancelation does not seem to have made a difference to the crowd, and I haven't heard of any grumblings except from some of the dealers.

It was nice to see Rick (Bubbagump), and Don (Buffyfan), and got to meet Justin (? Sorry, really bad with names) from Duncanville. To the guys at Desert Wind, thank you for the help with getting the books subbed, you were working your tails off! Going back tomorrow for a little while in the morning to do some box diving.

It was super busy today as there were lines for everything. Great to see Art (Mysterio) and Rob (Jaster-Mereel). Anyone going on Sunday, be sure to stop by and say hi. I'm in the front left corner (if your back is towards the concession stand). Duncanville has a massive setup on the opposite side of the room with a lot of great books as well.

I am pretty new to the forums, so Hi!

I attended the con on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was pretty insane. There was a line for just about everything. I may have even seen a line to take a picture of some random attendee in a costume.

All that being said, I was pretty happy with my experience. While I do think that the organizers might need a little more logistics training, referring to the absurd entrance lines, all in all it was not as bad as it could have been.

There was not a ton of book vendors, but I was able to get my SA collection started at a fairly reasonable price. Of that, I was very happy with.

I am pretty new to the forums, so Hi!

I attended the con on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was pretty insane. There was a line for just about everything. I may have even seen a line to take a picture of some random attendee in a costume.

All that being said, I was pretty happy with my experience. While I do think that the organizers might need a little more logistics training, referring to the absurd entrance lines, all in all it was not as bad as it could have been.

There was not a ton of book vendors, but I was able to get my SA collection started at a fairly reasonable price. Of that, I was very happy with.

Welcome to the boards!