• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon -- May 17-19, 2013 -- Romita Jr, Shatner, Steranko, Fillion

156 posts in this topic

They are also supposed to add another comic guest "that has been here before". Which is basically 90% of this years guest list. I'm guessing Michael Lark.

I could do without that dude. Aside from a certain Marvel Zombies cover artist, he was the worst person to talk to at a convention. Just rude all the way around. Paid for a commission and it's the worst piece of comic art I have. I think he did it in all of 2 minutes.

Maybe you caught him on a bad day. Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I was just commenting on the fact that it seems like they keep recycling the same names over and over and over. I would expect that from a little community show, but not a convention serving a metroplex like Dallas.

You're definitely right. Every convention I go to put on by these guys has the exact same people. DCC, Fan Days and Sci Fi Expo.

Yep. Occasionally they'll mix in someone new like Steranko, which is welcome, but 90% of the list is either repeat guests or C level guests.

Go and look at big wow's guest list. There are a few names that are 'returning guests' but most are new guests, or top talent guests. Steve Erwin? He has probably not done a mainstream book in 10 years. Of the 50 or so comic guests, only about 20 have actual comic business credits. Many of the other talent is C-level at best, and some I would say is downright "high school" level talent. What I don't understand is these "artists" will have space on the show floor, that takes away from real comic dealers. What that tells me is that they are not serious about bringing in dealers, or they are happy with their dealers, and they "fill in" the rest of the booths with leather, t-shirts, "artists", and other vendors that have nothing to do with comics. It feels more like a flea market with a comic show going on inside of it. They have really well done comic shows in Chicago, New York, and most cities in California, why not here in Dallas? Even wizard picked Austin. Why does it seem like the comic community wants to avoid the big D? It can't be the transportation, there are two decent airports, and plenty of highways in and out. I just don't get it.

I didn't know that Romita Jr was a C level guest? And considering that he has a movie coming out in a few months. Also remember that this weekend has three cons going on at the same time. So it gets more difficult for promoters to get certain guests with all of the competition. I can tell you for a fact that we were real close to getting a HUGE name but due to scheduling conflicts it did not happen but hopeful for a future show it will and then you can comment on the guest list.

I didn't know that Romita Jr was a C level guest? And considering that he has a movie coming out in a few months. Also remember that this weekend has three cons going on at the same time. So it gets more difficult for promoters to get certain guests with all of the competition. I can tell you for a fact that we were real close to getting a HUGE name but due to scheduling conflicts it did not happen but hopeful for a future show it will and then you can comment on the guest list.

Where did I say that JRJR was a c-level guest? He's a returning guest, yes, but not c-level by ANY stretch. I was commenting on the guests that are constants at all the official pix shows. If they want us to continue to pay and be happy at the show, they will have to add new and exciting comic book talent.

Where did I say that JRJR was a c-level guest? He's a returning guest, yes, but not c-level by ANY stretch. I was commenting on the guests that are constants at all the official pix shows. If they want us to continue to pay and be happy at the show, they will have to add new and exciting comic book talent.

Yep, like I said above, once you get past the couple of headliners the guest list thins out towards the C list end of the pool really quick. Romita Jr and Steranko are awesome guests, no doubt, but they need more names of that level to really expand this show and compete. And getting a weekend to themselves would be a good first step, but compare Big Wow and Motor City to this list and see who has the stronger list. They all have the same conflict to deal with.

I think commenting on the guest list and other things that have to do with this convention is what this thread is for.

I'm excited about the con and I always am, just because it's only an hour from me and it makes for a good day trip. I also get in with a press pass, so I can't complain too much.

Also, Steranko isn't new either, the was there, I believe, either Fan Days last year or the year before.

Yes, you just go to the DWC booth and get a witness before you get your autograph. They'll likely be set up at the end of the line for Romita Jr, if past shows are any indication, so it will be easy to get SS certification for him.

Steranko hasn't been at any of the Dallas shows for at least 2.5-3 years, because that is how long I've been attending.

I'm ready for this weekend. I've got a stack of cash just waiting to be spent. Hopefully there are some good comic dealers this year.

:wishluck: but not holding my breath. There will be a couple of good ones, I just have to hope they have a book or two I need. I'll likely be dropping most of my cash with DWC on SS fees.

I'm ready for this weekend. I've got a stack of cash just waiting to be spent. Hopefully there are some good comic dealers this year.

:wishluck: but not holding my breath. There will be a couple of good ones, I just have to hope they have a book or two I need. I'll likely be dropping most of my cash with DWC on SS fees.

+1. I think there are some books to be had, but it's looking like $1 box diving, with a few opportunities to grab books at double eBay rates. I really hope I'm wrong and we all have the best show we have ever had. Feel free to take pics for a con report, and post what you are wearing (if you want to meet fellow boardies). Bubbagump will have a booth, usually he is in the front corner to the left, duncanville will be there in force, and a few other boardies will be in the mix. Mysterio and I will be there (we are usually easy to find, we have briefcases on shoulder straps), feel free to say hi!

Does anyone have info on Romita/Steranko sketch possibilities at a show like this? I'm guessing I'll be SOL, but was curious if anyone knew. I figure Steranko would be really expensive if he did.

Steranko usually has pre-done sketches available in the $500 range.

Mind you, you're not getting much for that really. Think backing board size quick sketch.

Look for DWC to have a few Romita Jr sketches that are already CGC graded from last years charity event that DWC ran with John in Las Vegas. We will be bringing a few of the sketches along to sell to those interested. They are pencils only and they were 5 minute sketches but sketches none the less.