• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoarding Harlan

56 posts in this topic

Heard back from CCS Paper regarding the comics I sent in. Here's the feedback post-screening:

AF #15 CGC PLOD 1.0 - Said restoration would be $3-4k and only get the grade up to around a 5.0 (EP). Not worth the expense. It's kind of a wash, but I'll revisit later.

FF #1 CGC PLOD 4.5 - They thought it was undergraded. Press and resub.

FF #2 CGC PLOD 4.0 - Minor color touch. They're removing the resto, pressing, and resub for a blue label.

TOS #39 CGC 7.5 - Not sure if the book has been pressed but they're worried that pressing might tear the spine. They thought it was undergraded. Resub.

Hmmm...my Amazing Fantasy #15 PLOD 1.0 came back. It was rejected by CCS for restoration because in their opinion it would cost $3500 to restore the book at best to PLOD 5.0 and that money would be better spent on a better copy.

Not sure what to do. I just saw a PLOD 3.0 sell on Ebay for $4100.

Gonna get a second opinion. And a second estimate.

Here's the before and after on my FF#2 PLOD. I had the color touch removed and the book regraded. I still think it's undergraded at 4.0, so may resub down the road.

Overall I'm stoked to just get the blue label.

BEFORE

FF2_zpsaea3daba.jpg

AFTER

FF2Blue-2_zpsedc38818.jpg

Argh...

I sent my FF #1 PLOD 4.5 to CCS. They thought it could use a pressing and a resub. Annnnnnd....it came back at the same 4.5 grade.

I'm so confused as to how CGC grades restored books. This is a gorgeous book, professional resto, it looks like a 7.5 anyday. Isn't the grade supposed to reflect the "apparent" appearance? If so, I don't understand how this could be a 4.5 to begin with.

Someone mentioned staining on the inside. There is a little bit, but when I asked CCS to remove it they said the staining wasn't holding down the grade. If not, then what is?

Here's the book, without a wrinkle or crease:

FF1_zps6f493ef7.jpg

And here's a normal 4.5, with plenty of dings, wrinkles, spine wear, a few chips...

Hulk1small_zps91b76345-1_zps1ef132ac.jpg

Right Top Front Cover Stain

Spine Stress Lines

Spine Readers Crease

Back Cover Crease

Left Bottom Back Cover Stain

Cover Restoration Color Touch

Cover Restoration Cover Cleaned

Cover Restoration Cover Reinforced

Cover Restoration Piece Added

Cover Restoration Tear Seal

Interior Restoration Centerfold Reinforced

Interior Restoration Center Wrap Reinforced

Staple Multiple REPLACED

Top Front Cover TRIMMED

I'll have to reexamine the book with a loupe. I don't recall any spine stress or a stain on the front cover.

With CGC changing up their stance on tape recently - maybe there were some other off-the-books clarifications to restoration that they tuned up?

To me, that FF has some different kinds of repair and preservation - but I've seen other books that have huge chunks repaired with leaf casting and that seems like it would be considered 'extensive'. Maybe they are looking at repairs and downplaying them in contrast to what truly 'extensive' restoration is? That line of thinking could coincide with their current changes to how they classify tape.

Or it could just be one of those crazy, random, happy-go-lucky things that CGC does to books from time to time?

Just got a bunch of Harlan books back from CGC. The new policy regarding tape is definitely in effect. Only a couple books had taped spines, but the tape was ignored and the books were graded lower, which I agree with. Anything to remove the incentive to scotch tape an old book is a good thing.