• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Container Plastic Type

27 posts in this topic

As I said in my previous post I searched in the search feature for for all kinds of things before posting. Yeah the search feature hasn't really helped me a lot, either.

The cgc person has been emailing me and told me "This is the same material we have used since day one." You think with how busy and popular they are, they could think about upgrading the cgc slabs to the best archival ingredients.

Thanks for the welcome to the boards. These boards are very interesting and entertaining to read. hm:popcorn:

And you are interesting and entertaining too! ;)

Okay, Is it just me or do CGC cases and plastic have a slight bluish tint sometimes?

Seriously, here's some info: Another stupid question

Are you saying that all the old members are colour blind to the colour blue but the noobs aren't?

Okay, Is it just me or do CGC cases and plastic have a slight bluish tint sometimes?

Get some BluBlockers. Slabs will look better and the babes will swoon when you cruise the convention isles. A one-man wolf pack.

blublocker_logo.gif

blublocker-demi-tortoise-nylon-zach-galifianakis.jpg

Serengeti glasses rule.

As I said in my previous post I searched in the search feature for for all kinds of things before posting. Yeah the search feature hasn't really helped me a lot, either.

The cgc person has been emailing me and told me "This is the same material we have used since day one." You think with how busy and popular they are, they could think about upgrading the cgc slabs to the best archival ingredients. Thanks for the welcome to the boards. These boards are very interesting and entertaining to read. hm:popcorn:

Tempted to just let it slide, but I have to comment on the "best achival ingredients" comment.

You are mistaken to think that because of a faint blue'ish tint on the edges of the holder you are not getting something as archival as it could be.

Archival for purposes of storing comic books can mean several things. What exactly are we as collectors trying to protect our comics from? Damage and wear from handling? Insects? Water damage in case of a leak? Slowing down the aging process?

The Gaines file copies of the EC comics published in 1950's were wrapped 10-12 issues together with Butcher paper, then stored in closet. They emerged decades later as some of the best copies in existence. The Edgar Church copies (Mile High pedigree) were simply stacked up in a dry basement in Colorado. Many of those books are the best surviving GA books

If you just want archival in the sense of protection from aging, mylar bags and thicker, buffered backing boards are hard to beat on a cost/benefit ratio. Store them away in sturdy boxes in a cool, dark closet, keep rats and insects at bay and don't touch them for decades and they will look just like they did when you put them away.

However, if you want to be able to safely handle your books, show them to friends, have good protection from vermin and insect damage and some protection from water damage (like firesprinkler system going off or a leaky pipe) then encasulating a comic offers more protection. The materials used are NOT QUITE as chemically inert (or archival) as mylar and buffered backing boards - but it's close

Barex is the inner plastic used to seal the book. It's an excellent moisture barrier, it's used in the packaging of pharmaceuticals (therefore considered "inert"), it is durable and resists cracking. Most importantly it is easy to heat seal, unlike mylar film.

The outer holder is (in my opinion - I don't think CGC has ever said) acrylic. Acrylic is strong, lightweight, resistant to chemicals and weather. It's easy to form into a variety of shapes and is much more resistant to breaking than glass. You see acrylics used in various displays, signs and picture frames

Both plastics are nice and clear, important since that allows us collector types to admire our books.

The faint blue tint you see does not in anyway make the holders less "archival". And you are only seeing it along the edges, where the plastic is as much as 1/2 inch thick.

So relax, bro. All is well with your slabs.

The cgc person has been emailing me and told me "This is the same material we have used since day one." You think with how busy and popular they are, they could think about upgrading the cgc slabs to the best archival ingredients. Thanks for the welcome to the boards. These boards are very interesting and entertaining to read. hm:popcorn:

Tempted to just let it slide, but I have to comment on the "best achival ingredients" comment.

You are mistaken to think that because of a faint blue'ish tint on the edges of the holder you are not getting something as archival as it could be.

Archival for purposes of storing comic books can mean several things. What exactly are we as collectors trying to protect our comics from? Damage and wear from handling? Insects? Water damage in case of a leak? Slowing down the aging process?

The Gaines file copies of the EC comics published in 1950's were wrapped 10-12 issues together with Butcher paper, then stored in closet. They emerged decades later as some of the best copies in existence. The Edgar Church copies (Mile High pedigree) were simply stacked up in a dry basement in Colorado. Many of those books are the best surviving GA books

If you just want archival in the sense of protection from aging, mylar bags and thicker, buffered backing boards are hard to beat on a cost/benefit ratio. Store them away in sturdy boxes in a cool, dark closet, keep rats and insects at bay and don't touch them for decades and they will look just like they did when you put them away.

However, if you want to be able to safely handle your books, show them to friends, have good protection from vermin and insect damage and some protection from water damage (like firesprinkler system going off or a leaky pipe) then encasulating a comic offers more protection. The materials used are NOT QUITE as chemically inert (or archival) as mylar and buffered backing boards - but it's close

Barex is the inner plastic used to seal the book. It's an excellent moisture barrier, it's used in the packaging of pharmaceuticals (therefore considered "inert"), it is durable and resists cracking. Most importantly it is easy to heat seal, unlike mylar film.

The outer holder is acrylic. Acrylic is strong, lightweight, resistant to chemicals and weather. It's easy to form into a variety of shapes and is much more resistant to breaking than glass. You see acrylics used in various displays, signs and picture frames

Both plastics are nice and clear, important since that allows us collector types to admire our books.

The faint blue tint you see does not in anyway make the holders less "archival". And you are only seeing it along the edges, where the plastic is as much as 1/2 inch thick.

So relax, bro. All is well with your slabs.

I just learned some new stuff. Thanks Tony - great post!