• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Age Production Spine Corner Flaws

10 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I just spent the last 2 days searching through the forums in Modern, Restoration, General, and the FAQ pages but couldn't find a thread that explained much about this phenomenon. Even google didn't come up with much of anything. ??? Maybe my search logic stinks. So like a total n00b I'm creating a new thread in hopes that some of ye ole sages will enlighten me. Feel free to send me a link to a previous thread and delete this one.

rantrant warning

Now that I'm re-entering the Moderns market, I'm so frustrated when trying to pick up a new issue that doesn't have those stupid 1/16" spine corner tears or fraying at the top and/or bottom spine corners. I'm OCD about the condition of my comics especially NEW which shouldn't have any real defect. However, nearly every new issue I see has this flaw in varying degrees of severity. I never saw this in the1990's. I used to spend a minute or two in my LCS back then picking through the most MINT copy I could find and easily coming away with one. Now I can spend 5-10 minutes going through what they have trying to find the comic with the LESSER flaws. What is it about the paper, production process, or shipping that causes this and is there any way to ensure that I can get a copy from the distributors that doesn't have these stupid spine tears? I feel that over time as the paper degrades, this flaw will get worse and worse. It really sucks since LCS only buy based on subscription and there may only be a few issues to choose from.

I know CGC probably overlooks this flaw if minor and grants a 9.8 to most but it really bothers me. Is it just me or does this really anyone else off? :mad:

Anyone found reliable ways of getting their issues without this flaw?

Thanks in advance for any comments informative or otherwise.

I find that Image books tend to have a lot of these problems.

The NYCC Bedlam exclusive and Bedlam were among the worst.

bedlam was oversized, and Image is using the heavier paper which increases it too.

Ah! BINDERY TEARS!!! that's what I should have used. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

ugh yes I just began to notice the color waves on the covers. WTF! For $3+ an issue with ads this is their level of paper quality control.