• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Have I Started Now? posted by bagofleas

8 posts in this topic

My second one in less than a week!

OK. A few days ago I finally bought my first original art and was warned about how addicting it was to collect them.

Well I would now have to agree with those who warned me. I can see why original art is so intriguing to comic aficionados. I know that I wont be able to continue buying original art at the pace that I have been acquiring graded comics.

While I have been averaging over 175 graded comics a year (YIPES!) I will probably only be able to manage five or so original art pieces per year.

Nevertheless I have managed to acquire my second piece in less than a week. I just couldnt pass up on this one since it is from my all time favorite comic series which everyone by now knows is The New Mutants.

This particular piece of original art is from Issue 13 Page 2. It holds the first meeting and direct conversation between Magma (Amara Aquilla) and Professor X!

Being such a big New Mutants fan and just recently bitten by the O-ART Bug had me clawing after this one! I love it even though it doesnt have any real action going on in it. It is also signed by Tom Mandrake.

OFF AND RUNNING!!!!!!!

13070.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

Lamentably I own no New Mutants at all... comic art or otherwise... but after reading your recently acquired Original Art, I may start fishing for reading copies or collected volumes. I know Tnerb is a huge fan... and I beginning to see why so many collectors praise it. Congrats on the acquisition.

SW3D

bagofleas - Yep! Original art needs to come with a warning label from the surgeon general or something as it is highly addictive. Especially knowing there is only one of it to exist, it is harder to pass up than many comics. One of those you never know when you'll see it again. Congrat's on the pick-up. I've actually been shopping around for a page from New Mutants #25 specifically page 21. Its the first look of David Haller (Legion)

SW3D - I was the same way for a little while. Didn't ever feel the interest past trying to pick up a copy of #25, #87, and #98. Deadpool and Cable were two of my favorites and while I have a copy of both raw they were the ones I owned as a child and so not in the best condition. Memorable but not 9.8. Anyways since becoming a contributing Journal member I have picked up 6 at a fairly low cost and am looking for a few others while also saving for 9.8's in the three previously mentioned as well as for #16 1st Warpath.

Tnerb and bagofleas, while I only wish to pick up a few more your sets and your ability to assist one another has been inspiring.

Beautiful page. I am waiting for one by Mandrake as well, and also signed. This brings my total of pages to five for the New Mutants #15. The only other original art work I own is Evil Inc. If you don't know about this, you must check it out.

Bagofleas, if you like there is another piece of artwork, and not to expensive. It's not from the original series but you can find it on eBay if you click here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-10-page-12-Marvel-comics-original-art-Paul-Davidson-/121064494248?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14134%26meid%3D5581789837856571399%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1085%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D121064494248%26

You guys are in trouble - once you start buying original art, you have to watch closely that it doesn't eat up your budget for books...

Fortunately, I can be pretty picky about my original art - mostly I try to pick up pages that have a large splash and few panels, while not being the actual splash page (since they are pricy).

Mostly I try to avoid even looking at the part of the auctions where the original art is...

Lee

Have you seen those old Spidey and Hulk cartoons lately that the TV stations dubs over with funny dialogue? There's one with Spider-man flexing in the mirror in his room and every once in awhile he punches toward the mirror. For that one he says something like, "Oh hey Mr. Bank Robber. No, you go right ahead, I'll just stand here minding my own business and- PUNCH!" Those are hilarious!

So, just looking at the images on this page one could come up with some pretty funny dialogue. Just sayin.

bagofleas: There is only one known elixer for slowing the purchase gene in your blood down somewhat, pistachios. We are not sure if it the nuts themselves, or the fact you can't order artwork while shelling nuts. Anyway, I find it helpful regarding coins

Capt. Brian