• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 90-90-90 Rule

40 posts in this topic

I remember hearing this rule about variant issues:

90% of variants lose 90% of their value after 90 days.

I always took took some degree of truth of of this, and personally I don't understand the need to collect variants. However, I'm wondering if anyone has researched, or knows if this "rule" has any partial truth in it.

Obviously I think this applied more to the market pre WD explosion, but regardless.

Discussion?

Sounds like an interesting research project. Pick 50 variants and let us know how it turns out. My hypothesis... If you are considering the market as a whole (including dog titles), then there may be some issue there with value. However, the way you have it worded (90% of value in 90 days) doesn't work out quite right. If that were the case a $3 variant would be valued at $0.30 after 90 days. Just a thought...

Given the current awareness of speculation in modern books right now, I understand how this rule would not be fully in effect.

I'm just thinking of all those variant issues from the 80s and 90s, what happened to them? This is an actual question, I not trying to be snarky. I think this 90-90-90 thing took into account ALL variant issues.