• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comic book readers "escapists" ?

17 posts in this topic

I was considering the idea that there really is alot of going on in the world. I mean, ALOT. People..... our neighbors ? People in our communities ? People in our cities ? .... are kidnapping and raping children. They are shooting each other to death. They are drugging up and checking out. They are embezzling from their work. They are casting aside their marriage vows while they sleep around with whoever they can find. They are forsaking their children. Beating their wives and girlfriends up. Buying or taking guns and shooting up innocent people, I mean.... WTF is up with this world ?

So, are comic book readers actually good people who are keeping their thoughts away from the tremendous amount of "EVIL" that is swirling around them ?

Just wondering. :popcorn:

I was considering the idea that there really is alot of going on in the world. I mean, ALOT. People..... our neighbors ? People in our communities ? People in our cities ? .... are kidnapping and raping children. They are shooting each other to death. They are drugging up and checking out. They are embezzling from their work. They are casting aside their marriage vows while they sleep around with whoever they can find. They are forsaking their children. Beating their wives and girlfriends up. Buying or taking guns and shooting up innocent people, I mean.... WTF is up with this world ?

So, are comic book readers actually good people who are keeping their thoughts away from the tremendous amount of "EVIL" that is swirling around them ?

:news: you're right, but alot of us comic book readin, escapists, of which i am one, already know the time is comin, and The Lord is comin back, cause it says so in The Book.

The wording of that makes it appear that you are of the conclusion that comic book readers aren't good people to begin with. It's really just the use of the word actually I think that makes it appear that way. I doubt that was intended, just curious.

Back on topic, sure it is. Some people will say they are just for killing time, but I think comics tend to be more in depth than say Angry Birds.

Of course! Comics and a good home brew,you can forget the f-ed up world. :cloud9:

Stop making me laugh.... this is a serious topic (:

This IS an f-ed up world ..... really. I mean, like...... what if each person..... really has an effect on the people around them. Like..... is able to shift something about their being more towards one direction or another. Like...... was an ajoining oil paint color, slowly merging, mixing with the colors/people next to you in your world.

Should we be "purpose fully good" ? Or does it matter ?

chess move mac

[font:Book Antiqua]Speaking for myself:

I am a fully conscious person that knows and understand the world I live

the good and the bad.

And from time to time touched from either of those sides...

And still enjoy my comic books, family, work environment

and in general my life.

I don’t deny anything that is happening around me.

But how I decide to deal with that it’s still my choice...[/font]

2c

the good and the bad.

and in general my life.

2c

:applause: I appreciate your response..... but I was thinking more along the lines not of us "dealing with it" (after the fact)

as with us "influencing it " (before the fact)

the good and the bad.

and in general my life.

2c

:applause: I appreciate your response..... but I was thinking more along the lines not of us "dealing with it" (after the fact)

[font:Book Antiqua]In answer to your question:

I still believe the “I” as an individual answer/reaction/movement/ proactive

and the “We” as result/consequence/ flow.

The society in general as a followers

and individual like cross path (and WE HAVE TO BE REAL CAREFUL HERE)[/font]

the good and the bad.

and in general my life.

2c

....are you injecting "fear" into this discussion ? :popcorn:

the good and the bad.

and in general my life.

2c

[font:Book Antiqua]Fear is a tool or a condition.

When I was talking about individual as a cross path

I was talking about an informed choice

a conscious decision with all the consequences...

And yes...

when the masses have decided and not the individual

that is a force to be afraid...[/font]

:fear:

the good and the bad.

and in general my life.

2c

And yes...

..... I wonder what the % is of "informed choice, conscious decision with all consequences" people vs. the go with the flow sheep, cattle or other "don't bug me" animal references, who have no clear lines about "light vs dark" decisions in their lives ?

I believe in sphere of influence living as well as sphere of location living.

the good and the bad.

and in general my life.

2c

And yes...

..... I wonder what the % is of "informed choice, conscious decision with all consequences" people vs. the go with the flow sheep, cattle or other "don't bug me" animal references, who have no clear lines about "light vs dark" decisions in their lives ?

I believe in sphere of influence living as well as sphere of location living.

[font:Book Antiqua]I call this foundation and society.

Still I believe in Human Spirit, and divine spark (Revelation or epiphany)

doesn’t matter what it live or where it born.

Human spirit its mean to grown and understand

and most Important

TO CONNECT AND FULFILL...[/font]

Friday.

So much entertainment is escapist. It's our default coping mechanism.

It certainly was escapist for me as a kid but comics (superheroes) also helped shape my moral compass.

As an adult I read less comics but I wonder what role 'hobbying' plays in my life. Maybe spending time bagging and boarding is providing the same release that reading them did as a kid.