• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

90's comic bubble burst

141 posts in this topic

The variant covers, the endless parade of pert nippled ladies on covers

These days, breast-feeding covers seem to be all the rage.

If you're not getting your daily allowance you're missing out on many benefits. Big time.

Another bubble burst thread about the 90s. I'm so interested. TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME

If you do a search using the words "bubble burst" in quotes, setting your time to newer than 2 years and choosing the General forum you're likely to get a lot of reading material.

If you're not getting your daily allowance you're missing out on many benefits. Big time.

Are you talking about breast-milk?

He's getting senile, he thought he was posting on his favorite breast feeding forum again :makepoint:

Do you need a "connect the dots" diagram?

:facepalm:

I doubt it, there are only 2 "dots" to choose from. (shrug)

And I wouldn't recommend trying to connect them without a splash-guard.

You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.

— STEVE JOBS

You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.

— STEVE JOBS

I love it. That's just the way I see it too.

And I wouldn't recommend trying to connect them without a splash-guard.

Goggles.

.....When I was younger and far less sophisticated, I saw a woman breast feeding on public transit and I boorishly asked if I could have a squirt.....she said " sure....have at it, I've got two..." ....put me in my place for sure.....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was a kid in the 80s and remember the black and white explosion and then implosion with a kids innocence. Comics became hot without any reason except it was new and independent. Comic collectors got burnt but most people ended up losing a few bucks and went right on collecting books. 90s were another monster all together. Comics were being printed in the millions with virtually no redeeming features. People bought 50 copies of a $2 book and wizard said they were virtually guaranteed to have a hit on their hands. And things were running smoothly until e-bay hit full stride. People were competing with a thousand other sellers for a book that only a couple people wanted. I remember buying a set of 10 modern X-men books of of e-bay for the cost of 2 books at the comic shop and I never went back. Way too many books with way too few actual comic collectors to keep the insane prices going. I got out of collecting in 95 and it took until 2002 or so for me to come back. F u 90's comics.

I worked at a shop in the early 90's and remember the line stretching around the block for Death of Superman. We had a one per customer limit and folks had really high expectations for it. I still run into people who have it and it's the ONLY comic they ever bought. During that time I talked a few customers into focusing on GA and SA if they wanted returns. One of them recently sold his collection and actually DID send his kid to college with it. Wizard was probably responsible for the worst of the 90's by leading people to "invest" in new comics. Ironically, those who were short term flippers usually did well with many of their picks. Things marketed as "future" collectibles rarely are...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. If something is sure to skyrocket in value....wouldn't the supplier just keep them all ?

The industry was already steering in the wrong direction, but I think the tipping point was the baseball strike. Card dealers that were doing poorly in the card market jumped into comics with both feet and ordered comics in the same manner they ordered cards. There simply weren't enough customers to consume the extra comics and it burst the balloon of speculation when supply outweighed demand on every level.

DG

The industry was already steering in the wrong direction, but I think the tipping point was the baseball strike. Card dealers that were doing poorly in the card market jumped into comics with both feet and ordered comics in the same manner they ordered cards. There simply weren't enough customers to consume the extra comics and it burst the balloon of speculation when supply outweighed demand on every level.

DG

The baseball strike started in '94, and the comic market had already tipped and was going down the tubes by then.

I'm thinking the nail in the coffin was the Deathmate debacle that pretty much sealed Valiant's doom and sent Image into the dumps.

The 1990's burst is easy for me to explain.

I was a completionist collector, I tried to buy all of the books relating to the characters I collected. One day in 1990 I walked into my local comic store to buy my new releases and found not 1 copy, but 7 copies of McFarlane's Spider-man #1.

I closed my file, as I thought the variants were ridiculous and took a 13 year break from Comic books and collecting.

haha I remember thinking deathmate was pretty rad when it came out...

I think I even had the trading cards :P

Yeah, Deathmate could have been good...... If it hadn't been for Image and their constant inability to get a book out within 3 months of when it was supposed to be in stores and the convoluted as hell story :insane:

I like the story of Bob Layton going to Rob Liefeld's home and refusing to leave until he got the pages he was working on done, so that Layton could finish inking the pages for the Deathmate Prologue. :facepalm:

Sales levels were good before the boom. Then the speculators came and the publishers catered to them. More and more product of lower quality was produced, but nobody cared because it was all "hot". Once the speculators realized they weren't going to make a fortune speculating on "rare" issues with print runs in the hundreds of thousands or higher...they left.

The publishers thought sales would go back to pre boom levels, but unfortunately they hadn't realized that publishing tons of krap had driven away a lot of their bread and butter....the readers.

:(