• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Identity Crisis #3 SPOILER THREAD

76 posts in this topic

I don't know. I've decided to just sit back and enjoy the ride on this one. I've done very little speculation in terms of plot. I did spend about twenty minutes today ruminating on how many different levels the idea of "identity" is worked into this series. Just thinking about what the title really referred to kept me happily turning things over in my head for a good five minutes.

I think you have hit on something Rob. To me the best type of comics that I read nowadays are ones which make you think about the possibilites contained within them. This series has elements which have not been explored very much in comics in general. It addresses real world situations and causes the heroes to react to those situations. To deal with them in a very plausible manner. This is by far the best series I have read in a long time and I hope they maintain the level of quality for all seven issues.

As a reformed Marvel zombie, I still consider myself pretty new to the DC Universe, especially to all the b-list heroes and villains. Reading this series has been a great way to become emotionally invested in these characters. It's extremely powerful storytelling. The subtle inferences make the unfolding story all that much more poignant.

Was it just me, or was the battle with Slade one of the best comic battles you've ever read? Great stuff, and I love that Meltzer kept the narration to just one character (Green Arrow) during the fight.

The scene where Light remembers what happened! Oliver confessing everything to Wally. Awesome stuff.

Do you think that Supes heard him? Would he approve?

How will Bruce react to this? Do you think he will be against it?

One question for you GL guys out there, why couldn't Kyle power up the ring when Slade had hold of him? I know GA said the ring ran off will power. Was it because Slade was physically beating him and Kyle didn't think he could beat him? That was unclear for me.

So many questions. I can't wait for #4.

Identity Crisis #3 was absolutely awesome. Of course, the death of Jean Loring was a shocker to me, because there was no build up to it at all -- just those last two pages.

The battle with Deathstroke was awesome -- it showed Deathstroke to be the truly awesome and maginificent fighter he is. Taking down a number of opponents in one incredible display.

More importantly, it synsthesized 60 years of DCU history in about 10 pages -- explanations for basically everything -- and it did without a Crisis or Mega Crossover event.

The implication is that Superman would care about what's gone on... if he was confronted with it. Especially the personality altering part... that would be over the line. They're certainly all afraid to tell him.

As for Batman -- I think the other heroes are almost afraid of what he would think -- or might do -- in response to finding out this was going on.

The big three (supes, bats and ww) are, according to Meltzer, intentionally not the focus of this story about the League. I think we're given the feeling that despite their iconic place in the League, while clearly the pace setters, they can't be everywhere doing everything. Hence, some things slip by -- or they let them slip by without noticing.

Incidentally, my guess for the serial killer is Captain Boomerang.

The implication is that Superman would care about what's gone on... if he was confronted with it. Especially the personality altering part... that would be over the line. They're certainly all afraid to tell him.

Agreed. But there was the panel that focused on Supes ear while GA was fessing up to Wally. GA said something along the lines of "People hear what they want to hear". So, is Supes turning a deaf ear on this?

As for Bats, certainly of all the heroes, he is the smartest. Surely, after all this time, he would have to know that something is going on (ie, the villains conveniently "forgetting" the identities of the good guys). He has to play into this some how.

As for Bats, certainly of all the heroes, he is the smartest. Surely, after all this time, he would have to know that something is going on (ie, the villains conveniently "forgetting" the identities of the good guys). He has to play into this some how.

I'll have to re-read it, but the impression I got was that everyone was in on the memory-wipes to protect secret identities. It was the personality-alter that crossed the line.

In fact, this would be entirely consistent with DC Silver Age stories. Whenever secret identities were revealed, the problem was fixed by either GL's power ring or the use by Superman of something called "Amnesium" (don't ask crazy.gif) No ethical problems with doing so were ever considered.

I'll have to re-read it, but the impression I got was that everyone was in on the memory-wipes to protect secret identities. It was the personality-alter that crossed the line.

Not sure about this. There was the panel that showed Supes and Batman leaving immediately after defeating the baddies. Supes said something along the lines of "Gotta run. Luthor is causing trouble again." Bats said similar regarding the Joker.

I don't think they were in on the memory wipes. The personality-alter caused a rift between the remaining members that were in on it.

My impression is that Bats and Supes were never supposed to be aware of any of this.

Any predictions on whose next to die?

..... gossip.gif....Kyle Raynor

Somehow I don't get the feeling Kyle is going to die, at least not in this series. The killer is only going after normal humans realted to the heroes. Which means the killer may not be strong enough to killa hero.

I think Hal Jordan can return without having to kill Kyle. Since John Stewart is allowed to remain on Earth, there can be more then one GL in this sector of the universe.

I agree. I think Kyle would be way too obvious (as we all know Hal is returning).

All the previews and promos said this series would rock the DC Universe. Would be kind of a letdown if it's Kyle. It's common knowledge he is being replaced.

I also am enjoying this series very much. With all this memory "tweaking" going on I can't help but wonder if this was done to some of the Heroes as well. I guess we shall see...

BTW: Excellent use of Deathstroke! 893applaud-thumb.gif

this is a good theory... possibly the heroes have had some of their memories wiped -- but I don't think so. This seems more like a story about heroes crossing the line. I realize the implication is that Superman and Batman have simply turned a blind eye and chosen to ignore the situation... and it's probably true. The shot of Superman's ear is indicating that he has probably over heard them talking at times and is aware something must have gone on -- but has chosen on his own, not to investigate. And I'm sure he knows nothing about the personality altering.

Bats may be the smartest character in the DCU -- but again -- this is a story that isn't about Bats and Supes and WW... so I think the idea is that they can't be everywhere all at once and thus even Bats is going to miss things.

Also, it would take someone on the same power level as Zatanna to do the mind wipes -- I don't know which DCU villians have that kind of power.

I agree. I think Kyle would be way too obvious (as we all know Hal is returning).

All the previews and promos said this series would rock the DC Universe. Would be kind of a letdown if it's Kyle. It's common knowledge he is being replaced.

What if they Kill Kyles mom,

Kyle Retires in Anger and Hal can take over!

Back to this issue!

Now That Rays ex is dead does he get all his IP Contracts back he lost in divorce?

I think we're all missing one very important "ex"... Green Arrow's Black Canary.

I don't have a copy of IC 1 in front of me, so I don't know if she's featured there or not... but if this trend keeps up, wouldn't she be a likely victim?