• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #4 Auction Grade

23 posts in this topic

Could a comic with 3 hole punches all the way through the comic grade out a VF+ as is stated in this auction? Is that possible? If not what would the highest possible grade be? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

FF #4 Auction

If it is otherwise high grade, it may get a qualified grade and a green label just like the Tales of Suspense #39 that we all saw recently that had a qualified VF- grade if I recall correctly. The qualified grade will be whatever the book would have been if not for the holes.

It IS a pretty nice looking book. But technically, the three holes take it down to a GD 2.0. FFB is right, this book appears to be in high enough grade to warrant a qualified label. I would venture it is at least a VF 8.0 (Q). I would love having this book in my personal collection, and would not even bother grading it - just put it in Mylar and enjoy it. Read it and reread it - memorize every square millimeter fer godsakes. insane.gif

Resale is not an issue, and I wouldn't bank on it - but hey it's a gorgeous copy of Fantastic Four #4 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well I DO take issue with the description that states "one defect that holds it from a higher grade is three punch holes, otherwise this would be graded much higher".

That defect - well - it DOES hold it from a higher grade but it also holds it from the VF+ or ++ or whatever grade they state. No way a VF anything can have 3-hole punch.

As has been stated, if the book DOES hold true to quality - the it would deserve a Qualified label. And it would then be up to the individual collector to determine a value based on how objectionable the 3-hole punch IS.

This is one of the reaons I would LOVE CGC to post a dual grade: one for the book as if the defect were not there and the other for the book with the defect there.

So it may turn out to be a G/VF Qualified. A real pity if the book is anything like it seems.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this book up for auction before, but I don't recall if it was the same seller. I owned a DD 1 and ASM 15 years ago that had been three hole punched. The DD 1 was only about a VG or so anyway, but the ASM 15 was a real nice upper mid grade copy otherwise. I wouldn't be ashamed to own this FF.

how could a reputable dealer try to pass this book off as a very fine??

as FFB said, i could see this book as a VF QUALIFIED (Green label) but i'm never sure of what "qualifies" for Green.

otherwise the true grade is far, far below VF..........

who's ever seen a three hole punch graded and what did it get???

and, man, that would be one beautiful copy if not for that - i LOVE this book (have i said that before??) grin.gif

I'm pretty sure I've seen this book up for auction before, but I don't recall if it was the same seller. I owned a DD 1 and ASM 15 years ago that had been three hole punched. The DD 1 was only about a VG or so anyway, but the ASM 15 was a real nice upper mid grade copy otherwise. I wouldn't be ashamed to own this FF.

I think they're all copies from the "Eastern Three-Hole" pedigree! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Seriously, some early collectors three hole punched their books and put them into binders for "protection"! It is a not-so-common defect - I've seen whole binders for sale on eBay! 893whatthe.gif

Sacrilege! sumo.gif

I think they're all copies from the "Eastern Three-Hole" pedigree! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Seriously, some early collectors three hole punched their books and put them into binders for "protection"! It is a not-so-common defect - I've seen whole binders for sale on eBay! 893whatthe.gif

Sacrilege! sumo.gif

...I used to do it with some of my books,...that way you could read it in class and the teacher couldn't tell cause it was hidden by your binder cover,....

I guess a more direct question would be would you pay $535 for the listed book????

I know that the question was directed towards Divad, but yeah I'd pay $535 for this book if I were in the market for one (and assuming it truly is otherwise VF+ with no resto or other funny business). I'd don't have an OS handy, but that's probably around VG guide.

I guess a more direct question would be would you pay $535 for the listed book????

No, but I'd pay 50% of that, as it has been determined most succinctly, that $535 is the "fair market value" of the book. sumo.gif