• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

Just read it and dont know what to think yet. Few thoughts.

The art isnt very good. Its average at best or at least the style didnt appeal to me.

The ghost thing didnt appeal to me. I know some might find that interesting, but the picture of the ghost before the power was just meh for me.

I like the mystery with the sister.

The setup with some sort of demon council looks promising.

All in all the book wasnt bad it just didnt leave me wanting more. If I didnt read another issue I wouldnt feel like I miss something special. Thats what the writer should have impressed upon me wanting that next issue.

I didn't catch that....what setup with demon council?

Okay I prob used wrong term. The scene where the demonic servant is talking to five different screens of demons talking about getting their power back or bringing back their power under their control. Dont havr the book in front of me currently from memory.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I didn't catch that....what setup with demon council?

Okay I prob used wrong term. The scene where the demonic servant is talking to five different screens of demons talking about getting their power back or bringing back their power under their control. Dont havr the book in front of me currently from memory.

Aha....I thought you were talking about issue #2. You're referring to #1 with Iago who seems to be one of the main antagonists. He only appears in the last page of issue #2...which is primarily involving Zhang Guo and the tribe of the Spider-god.

I also appear to have answered some of my own questions posed to Frank previously. In the teaser text from the Image website regarding issue #4:

"THE FIVE TRIALS OF FABIAN GRAY"

Fabian's ghostly affliction takes a turn for the worse while Iago terrorizes the Forgotten City!

That must mean that the ghosts have some sort of toll on Fabian whenever he uses them. A price he isn't completely aware of yet I presume.

The art isnt very good. Its average at best or at least the style didnt appeal to me.

The ghost thing didnt appeal to me. I know some might find that interesting, but the picture of the ghost before the power was just meh for me.

All in all the book wasnt bad it just didnt leave me wanting more. If I didnt read another issue I wouldnt feel like I miss something special. Thats what the writer should have impressed upon me wanting that next issue.

You're clinically insane. Ok, I kid. We all have our opinions. I'm quoting Felix (Neus) here from page 61 tho, as he says it much more eloquently than I could here in regards to the art:

" Yes. I've posted before that I dug the '70s Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic in the cover fonts and overall design...very Alex Toth influenced. It's one reason the book appealed to me. FG isn't anything revolutionary, but I think it's a fun concept with some killer art. I see skill in the book. The art is a big draw for me, and I rarely buy comics just for the art. Looking forward to the next issue."

+10000 on this specific statement imo.

Went to a comic shop in Charleston, SC today. They had two #1s left, and I got them both at cover :banana:

Captain's Comics? That's my LCS!

Yeah, for some reason they didn't get any of the second issue or the second print of the first. They are pretty erratic with their Image stock

Went to a comic shop in Charleston, SC today. They had two #1s left, and I got them both at cover :banana:

Yeah, for some reason they didn't get any of the second issue or the second print of the first. They are pretty erratic with their Image stock

Yeah! That's the one I went to. I've never been to it, but my girlfriend's family recently moved here, so I came to visit. It was really nice. I LOVED the ASM #1 they had in the case...first time I've ever seen one in person :cloud9:

You're clinically insane. Ok, I kid. We all have our opinions. I'm quoting Felix (Neus) here from page 61 tho, as he says it much more eloquently than I could here in regards to the art:

" Yes. I've posted before that I dug the '70s Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic in the cover fonts and overall design...very Alex Toth influenced. It's one reason the book appealed to me. FG isn't anything revolutionary, but I think it's a fun concept with some killer art. I see skill in the book. The art is a big draw for me, and I rarely buy comics just for the art. Looking forward to the next issue."

+10000 on this specific statement imo.

Bet he loves PP art too. :banana:

Doesnt mean he is right just means he has different taste or lack there of :grin:

I dont apologize for being an 80s comic art fan. :headbang:

Edited by Fastballspecial

Yeah! That's the one I went to. I've never been to it, but my girlfriend's family recently moved here, so I came to visit. It was really nice. I LOVED the ASM #1 they had in the case...first time I've ever seen one in person :cloud9:

I know tell me about it. Glad you had a good time!