• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

Met Frank and Chris over the weekend. Both guys are super-nice and great to talk to. For being as young as they are (both appear to be in their 20's), they are very comic-literate. It comes though in the book, which is a total throwback.

They had some posters for sale, which look great...I like the sigs in gold ink:

fiveghostspromopostersi.jpg

Same as the house ad announcing the series. More print than poster as it's printed on heavy stock. Grab one if you see them at a show.

As I posted in the OA thread, Chris is no longer selling any FG art. But he did bring some cool predone pieces as well as take a sketch list. I will post pics shortly. This guy is one to watch.

Here's some art I picked up from Chris:

A character study of Zhang Guo from FIVE GHOSTS that Chris did for the colorist (as close to FG art as you're going to get these days).

mooneyhamzhangguoa.jpg

Got on his sketch list for two characters I thought he would nail. And he did.

mooneyhampunishera.jpg

mooneyhamlwca.jpg

He brought along some predone pieces that were just knockout. These two pieces are cover-quality. Check out the lettering...a lost skill these days.

mooneyhamavengersa.jpg

mooneyhamnewgodsa.jpg

I have a feeling this guy is going to be very, very busy in the near future...

Chris had some of those same prints as pictured above in color as well when I saw him at a signing....

I shoulda grabbed that New Gods one when it was right in front of me...so cool!

Chris is insanely talented. I've been dying to pick up some FG OA but it looks like I'll be waiting a while :(

Makes me sincerely appreciate the ones I grabbed whilst available. They are pretty killer pages FTR.... :)

Doesn't he sell OA at cons?

I believed that to be the case because that was my direct experience, however recently Nexus was told at a signing or a con (can't remember which) that Chris is "not selling OA ATM". He cited that there was no reason given either.

I can just imagine that Chris has been a bit busier than anticipated with the warm reception for five ghosts and the rigorous con/signing schedule he's had to endure. The same goes for Frank. That may be the single reason why he's eliminated that as an option for now. On the other hand, he may be in the process of working with someone to sell the OA in some official capacity.

I'm honestly not sure. For all I know he could just want to keep it for himself or possibly he's promised it to others in advance rendering any current sales impossible.

Either way, he must have a salient reason for not doing so right now. He's an awfully nice guy and I know at least this: he appreciates his fans and would do whatever he could to demonstrate that appreciation. The same goes for Frank.

I'd say I've met folks that nice only a handful of times in my life and each instance was notable.

It may actually be why I'm a bit more rabid than most when it comes to five ghosts. After meeting them, their comic took a more personal turn for me. I could see their passion for the subject, I learned a bit more about their development of the idea and I can see how much work is involved in making the final product.

I got to see Chris up close working his magic with remarks and sketches for hours....and considering he's at the start of his career....I couldn't help but think I was in the presence of someone who would eventually become quite a noteworthy figure in comic history...like all the greats of days gone by. In fact I believe that to be true of both Chris and Frank. I do wish them the best in this and any other endeavor they get involved with.

I intend to contact Chris about some other things later this week or month, I'll ask him directly what the deal with the OA is...maybe I'll get some answers that I can relate here.

I intend to contact Chris about some other things later this week or month, I'll ask him directly what the deal with the OA is...maybe I'll get some answers that I can relate here.

I would be super interested to hear if/when he will be selling FG OA in the future. I haven't been able to make it to a con where he was at to actually meet/ask him and google turned up nothing. Been dying to own a piece since reading the first issue (his splash pages are to die for).

Both Chris and Frank are incredibly talented and Frank has been super kind when I tweet at him.

Hey guys,

Chris is not selling FG art because he wants to have high-res scans of it all archived. We have been hustling week to week to get everything done, so he hasn't had time. He simply wants to have a really complete, high-res digital archive before he loses the art--so don't fret. He will have it for sale eventually!

Hey guys,

Chris is not selling FG art because he wants to have high-res scans of it all archived. We have been hustling week to week to get everything done, so he hasn't had time. He simply wants to have a really complete, high-res digital archive before he loses the art--so don't fret. He will have it for sale eventually!

Frank,

You can let Chris know if you speak to him before I do that I can attempt to get him high resolution scans of anything I've already picked up at some forseeable point in the future. In fact I'll make sure that happens. This way he can have a complete archive. I also know who the other boardie is that bought some of the first issue OA, maybe he would oblige as well. It's understood why Chris would want to have that and I'm sure everyone would want to help in that regard. I know if I were in his shoes laboring over those panels....I'd want to have an archival copy to keep.

Ok, so maybe off topic as this is about the comic story, not the cost or OA, but loved 1. Felt very Indiana jones, meets tomb raider, meets Hellboy. 2 wasn't as clean for me. I kept having to go back ant try to figure out: 'are they were going to climb into that hole or was that a big cave, how did all those guys get in the treasure room, was that guy a spider or a dude as the silhouettes looked like it could be either, or why is that panel coming before that panel, I'm lost'. The main bad guy communing with the ghosts felt a little overly dramatic since he was essentially by himself with the spirits - why the super dramatic over the shoulder smile. Overall, while I liked the backstory, the tomb crawl felt pushed. I was excited by the end of 1, by the end of 2 I was a little disappointed. Will keep reading, just crossing my fingers that 3 is a little cleaner.

By the way, the first page and a half of 2 with the backstory was really well done.

Hey guys,

If he needs the #1 cover scanned, PM me.