• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

Sounds like you communicated just fine.

Sorry it had to come here. But looks like everything will work out. (thumbs u

I did like how the buyer failed to mention that he was late paying....

No, something like could never impact a ship date.... RIGHT?

doh!

I can't speak of the buyer's intentions but it does appear there was at least some confusion.

Nonetheless, kudos to you for clearing the air and handling this issue for him.

It speaks volumes about you and it's also good to know you're a boardie.

All that said, I still think you'd have done a bit better here on the boards with those 9.9s. Ebay can be a timing crapshoot sometimes...especially 'round con season.

Plus you would have saved the redunkulous Ebay vig....and have guaranteed that the slabs would have gone to a fellow boardie.

Anyway, good to see that it's all good.

Thanks you for the kind words,

I did actually try to sell these on the boards, with no luck...

and yeah the Ebay vig is bad and getting worse...

I try to be pragmatic when it comes to ebay auctions, some end low and others (that have no reason to) end at twice what I think they should... it all comes clean in the wash

I prefer a world where I blame Steve Paulus or, possibly, Rich Henn, for everything.

Good seeing you again at NYCC. I was so happy to have time to get beer with the guys for once. Look forward to running into you again soon!

Ryan

You'll learn far more on these boards than on yahoo answers if you can take a little friendly ribbing.

I can take ribbing as long as my questions are acknowledged along with the friendly ribbing.

Your question was probably ignored because it's been asked and answered multiple times in this very thread. People typically expect new members to be willing to read a little and search for questions before asking (not just on this board, but on most message boards). You're not entitled to an answer just because you post a question.

There are 2 versions of the ashcan and off the top of my head, both were limited to 60 copies. As to if it's rarer than the OA, well OA is unique, so nothing is rarer. As to popularity, I think it comes down to personal preference - not everyone here is an OA collector or a collector of rare books. OA is generally worth more though, if that helps, although it varies by what's on the page, if it's a splash/panel page/cover, etc...

Edited by Solar

Sounds like you communicated just fine.

Sorry it had to come here. But looks like everything will work out. (thumbs u

I did like how the buyer failed to mention that he was late paying....

No, something like could never impact a ship date.... RIGHT?

doh!

I can't speak of the buyer's intentions but it does appear there was at least some confusion.

Nonetheless, kudos to you for clearing the air and handling this issue for him.

It speaks volumes about you and it's also good to know you're a boardie.

All that said, I still think you'd have done a bit better here on the boards with those 9.9s. Ebay can be a timing crapshoot sometimes...especially 'round con season.

Plus you would have saved the redunkulous Ebay vig....and have guaranteed that the slabs would have gone to a fellow boardie.

Anyway, good to see that it's all good.

Thanks you for the kind words,

I did actually try to sell these on the boards, with no luck...

and yeah the Ebay vig is bad and getting worse...

I try to be pragmatic when it comes to ebay auctions, some end low and others (that have no reason to) end at twice what I think they should... it all comes clean in the wash

I prefer a world where I blame Steve Paulus or, possibly, Rich Henn, for everything.

Good seeing you again at NYCC. I was so happy to have time to get beer with the guys for once. Look forward to running into you again soon!

Ryan

I like to live in a world where Rich Henn is blamed for everything!!!!

Global Warming

unemployment

War

poverty

expensive beer

ugly woman

all Rich's fault!!!

I have proof! ;)

Great seeing you again!

I'm a novice (not expert) but I prefer CGC misprints.

Today I learned what an ashtray is. What other moderns have ashtrays in the hands of the public?

How much more popular or common is an issue #1's OA than an ashtray?

It'd be hard to state precisely what other moderns (or even copper, bronze, silver, golden, etc.) ashcans exist...but I'd say there are more than quite a few. They typically were used to trademark a comic before the first publication. In the case of five ghosts, I believe Frank was gaining notoriety for the comic and attempting to get a publisher (which he eventually did with Image). Frank had previously envisioned putting out the comic himself and handle the publishing directly I guess as an independent. Of course, I don't want to speak for Frank...so if there's anything incorrect about that assumption hopefully he'll chime in and clarify.

How much more popular an issue #1's OA is in relation to an ashcan? That's even more difficult to say, but I believe it would depend on the purchasers orientation and intention....and also the relative rarity of each. For OA, there's only one (like the highlander!!!) of each page. Once it's gone, it's gone. Unless there's only 1 ashcan produced that would make them more rarified and therefore more valuable IMO. That said, some folks just don't collect OA and are more on the 'comic' end. To them, a one off ashcan would be the most valuable and highly sought after collectible. In the case of these aschans, I believe it was stated before what the relative amts. of each were....maybe less than 10 of one and less than 50 of another. That's pretty scarce considering that many were possibly discarded or handled inappropriately. Nowadays, if someone has them I bet that they're handled with kid gloves. Initially whilst Frank was shopping around and basically using them as advertisments for five ghosts, who knows what happened.

I personally love five ghosts and can't get enough of it. I can easily see it translating eventually to the big or small screen and with talent and content that we've already seen...it's not hard to think that may eventually manifest.

I'm certainly glad that I've got a small piece of history in both ashcans. But if you asked me if I had to pick between my five ghosts OA or my ashcans...I'm not sure which one I'd prize more. To me they're both unbelievably cool and I'm proud to have them all in the collection.

There are 2 versions of the ashcan and off the top of my head, both were limited to 60 copies.

Solar, one was definitely 60 or less....but one I believe (don't quote me) was just a 'test copy' to see what a finished product would look and feel like. One was available at the NYCC con and the other at the SDCC. Whichever one came first was the 'test run' ashcan and I'm fairly certain that was limited to 10 or possibly 15. The other was more a 'formal' ashcan and more were printed (50, maybe 60).

Of course only Frank (and possibly Chris) knows for sure. If we dig back far enough into this thread, Frank's original comments about them are there.

Machiavelli: I'll keep you in the loop about slabbing the ashcans my brotha!!! Sucks to hear that the CGC plays switchy with the grades...but that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. Relabeling those new slabs shouldn't be an issue however....

Anyway unless you're going to part with them, it's no big deal. If they're going to get sold you may have to pull the trigger and let the CGC do their relabeling black magic...

You'll learn far more on these boards than on yahoo answers if you can take a little friendly ribbing.

I can take ribbing as long as my questions are acknowledged along with the friendly ribbing.

Sorry if I offended you.

To answer your question, I go with the OA.

I think the art is very good on this book, unlike some of the other hot Image

titles.

Ashcans, it'd been my experience that they can be great investments, but to some collectors (like me) they are ab after thought.

I wanted to stop by and show off a recent project that I just finished last week. I realized my Five Ghost collection was getting quite large and the wine boxes I was storing them in didn't do them justice. So I decided to build a special home just for them. Here is what I came up with (I put them in spoiler tags so they wouldn't take up as much room):

In progress:

image19.jpeg

image20.jpeg

image21.jpeg

Finished:

image19-1.jpeg

image21-1.jpeg

image20-1.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

The top pictures better represent the color of the stain. They were taken using natural light and not with a flash like the bottom shots. My goal was to make it look like a treasure box and I think the hardware really brings that out. A brad nailer was used to put the box together and the visible nails are actually just for looks (they were purposely rusted and cut short).

I know what you're thinking:

whats-in-the-box-1324413231.png

IMG_0415.jpg

My collection so far:

#1 Ashcan NYCC CGC 9.2

#1 ECCC Variant CGC 9.8

#1 ECCC Variant CGC SS 9.8 Signed by Frank

#1 Regular First Print CGC 9.8

#1 Regular First Print CGC SS 9.8 Signed by Frank and Chris

#1 Second Print CGC 9.8

#1 Second Print GCC SS 9.8 Signed by Frank and Chris

#1 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

#2 Regular First Print CGC 9.8

#2 Second Print (Currently at CGC- over 65 days :facepalm: )

#2 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

#3 Regular First Print CGC 9.8

#3 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

#4 Regular First Print (Currently at CGC)

#4 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

#5 Regular First Print CGC 9.8

#5 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

I wanted to thank ZaCrew for pressing a few of these books for my collection. He turned my ECCC 9.6 blue label into a 9.8 and also fixed a mean blunted corner on the samurai SDCC variant.

Thanks for looking!

I wanted to stop by and show off a recent project that I just finished last week. I realized my Five Ghost collection was getting quite large and the wine boxes I was storing them in didn't do them justice. So I decided to build a special home just for them. Here is what I came up with (I put them in spoiler tags so they wouldn't take up as much room):

In progress:

image19.jpeg

image20.jpeg

image21.jpeg

Finished:

image19-1.jpeg

image21-1.jpeg

image20-1.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

The top pictures better represent the color of the stain. They were taken using natural light and not with a flash like the bottom shots. My goal was to make it look like a treasure box and I think the hardware really brings that out. A brad nailer was used to put the box together and the visible nails are actually just for looks (they were purposely rusted and cut short).

I know what you're thinking:

whats-in-the-box-1324413231.png

IMG_0415.jpg

My collection so far:

#1 Ashcan NYCC CGC 9.2

#1 ECCC Variant CGC 9.8

#1 ECCC Variant CGC SS 9.8 Signed by Frank

#1 Regular First Print CGC 9.8

#1 Regular First Print CGC SS 9.8 Signed by Frank and Chris

#1 Second Print CGC 9.8

#1 Second Print GCC SS 9.8 Signed by Frank and Chris

#1 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

#2 Regular First Print CGC 9.8

#2 Second Print (Currently at CGC- over 65 days :facepalm: )

#2 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

#3 Regular First Print CGC 9.8

#3 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

#4 Regular First Print (Currently at CGC)

#4 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

#5 Regular First Print CGC 9.8

#5 SDCC Variant CGC 9.8

I wanted to thank ZaCrew for pressing a few of these books for my collection. He turned my ECCC 9.6 blue label into a 9.8 and also fixed a mean blunted corner on the samurai SDCC variant.

Thanks for looking!

That box is :cloud9:

In progress:

image19.jpeg

image20.jpeg

image21.jpeg

Finished:

image19-1.jpeg

image21-1.jpeg

image20-1.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

:o

(worship)

Incredible work...I'll make sure Chris and Frank see this!