• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

What is it about this book that you guys like? Read it today, wanted to love it. Didn't. It's basically Ben10 with 5 victorian-era archetypes. And sometimes the powers don't work right, like Greatest American Hero?

Somebody hit me with a PM if this book gets good.

Hey, fingh. :hi:

I got the Indiana Jones vibe from the book... with a dash of James Bond thrown in. I suppose it's just a matter of tastes. For example: I have a jones for post-apocalyptic stories, so I like Blackacre. That certainly doesn't go for everyone here. :grin:

I asked because a lot of times I don't like first issues, but if the concept is good, sometimes it is worth coming back to. Most of the series that I really, really like, however (Planetary, MP, Fell, Goon) there is an instantaneous hook. I am ready for another book like MP. I really like Saga, but it is not quite there for me.

However, with the huckster hype machine grinding away with 50 page threads before the first issues drops, it is hard to get any decent intel. Anything other than gushing reviews potentially hurts the resale value on the Phantom variant 20 issue pre-order. So you get a lot of "I don't know, I just really like it all. You know the whole feel is just, wow, hard to put in words." :eyeroll:

So, sorry to everyone about actually being underwhelmed with the first issue. I trust you will all pump enough vague, yet enthusiastic praise to keep those Ebay sales popping. (thumbs u

This seems to be the latest popular insults to throw at members when the poster doesn't care for the book or series. God forbid others find a series fun or interesting. Back in the old days if you didn't like a comic series you just didn't participate in the thread but I suppose now we have to show everyone how awesome we are and poop all over their likes and good vibes.

Care on with the bashing. I'm sure your thoughts will continue in this thread for some time to come. (thumbs u

Ha-Ha. This from the guy whose website exists solely to pump hot comics. :roflmao:

I love hot comics. I love good comics. My biggest problem is pumping these comics into a froth before they even come out. Then when they do come out, it's not OK to have a "Blah" reaction to it?

This is a chat board. Talking about these types of things is what chat boards are for. If you don't like it, come up with a cogent, and reasonable explanation why I am wrong. Fifty, seventy, one hundred page threads before a books comes out? For every new Image book? And now Oni and Dark Horse and Avatar?

The first one of these books that goes Locke and Key because the pilot didn't get picked up, or the cartoon blows is going to be a big blow to the new hype machine model. Hope everyone still continues to enjoy the stories and art.

Fingh is like sriracha sauce in the mucous membrane. It burns, but it burns so good. :cry:

What is it about this book that you guys like?

GFY huckster. Have fun trying to make some monie$$$

Good call, n00b. Keep pumping the spec hype. Hope all your dreams come true.

Hugs and kisses!

I trust you will all pump enough vague, yet enthusiastic praise to keep those Ebay sales popping. (thumbs u

lol Sweet meltdown fruitcake.

Why discuss something when you can pump, PUMP, PUMP it up.

TROLL: In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Let me see if I can work some magic and demonstrate how irrelevant his commentary is:

Ask yourself which position has more intellectual honesty - a comic fan who SLAMS a comic that hasn't done anything other than frame out a story in a first issue, or a comic fan pump, pump, pumping a book that hasn't done anything other than frame out a story in a first issue?

And keep up with the ad hominem attacks. They are always funny.

I’ll have to redact my opinion of Mr. fingered because honestly I wasn’t sure he could spell ad hominem let alone understand the meaning. Until today I wasn’t even entirely sure he could put together four syllables in a sentence. I stand corrected. Insert MEME here.

What is it about this book that you guys like? Read it today, wanted to love it. Didn't. It's basically Ben10 with 5 victorian-era archetypes. And sometimes the powers don't work right, like Greatest American Hero?

I got the Indiana Jones vibe from the book... with a dash of James Bond thrown in. I suppose it's just a matter of tastes. For example: I have a jones for post-apocalyptic stories, so I like Blackacre. That certainly doesn't go for everyone here. :grin:

I asked because a lot of times I don't like first issues, but if the concept is good, sometimes it is worth coming back to. Most of the series that I really, really like, however (Planetary, MP, Fell, Goon) there is an instantaneous hook. I am ready for another book like MP. I really like Saga, but it is not quite there for me.

However, with the huckster hype machine grinding away with 50 page threads before the first issues drops, it is hard to get any decent intel. Anything other than gushing reviews potentially hurts the resale value on the Phantom variant 20 issue pre-order. So you get a lot of "I don't know, I just really like it all. You know the whole feel is just, wow, hard to put in words." :eyeroll:

So, sorry to everyone about actually being underwhelmed with the first issue. I trust you will all pump enough vague, yet enthusiastic praise to keep those Ebay sales popping. (thumbs u

This seems to be the latest popular insults to throw at members when the poster doesn't care for the book or series. God forbid others find a series fun or interesting. Back in the old days if you didn't like a comic series you just didn't participate in the thread but I suppose now we have to show everyone how awesome we are and poop all over their likes and good vibes.

The insults go both ways. I suggested in the PP thread that prices on the book were likely to cool after the series ended. I also offered that I thought the BBC project wouldn't pan out.

One poster suggested that posts like this might be from a sense of jealousy or regret at having missed the series. Another put me on ignore. lol

I'm not sure... should we simply not post if we are underwhelmed by a series? Is there no room for a reasonable counter viewpoint? I thought fingh's initial post was pretty inoffensive. (shrug)

I thought fingh's initial post was pretty inoffensive. (shrug)
Yeah, it seemed pretty benign to me too. (shrug) Groupthink is a bad thing, it is generally not benefical to silence the contrarian voice. Sometimes, the emperor really does have no clothes. :preach: However, in this case, I like the premise and the art and I can't wait to see where it goes.

The insults go both ways. I suggested in the PP thread that prices on the book were likely to cool after the series ended. I also offered that I thought the BBC project wouldn't pan out.

Those are all valid points. No issues whatsoever with your commentary and I'm a PP fan. But, you don't make it your business to make a mockery out of new comics soley for the purpose of being a senecent coot trying to be hip and relevant. You also don't demand more from others than you demand from yourself regarding those opinions. If you want to negatively comment on something that's fine, but it's always context and content together that make a cogent argument. If you want to be a mega-Dbag however you may just want to throw quips out and drop MEMEs everywhere to make your pointless points. Then you may want to baselessly attack others for having a different view and insinuate that they have a vested financial interest in comics they don't sell because you haven't anything material to say.

But I haven't been hanging around like a petrified turd since 2005, so I guess I may be the one in error.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable momma jokes that are probably next on the roster of maturity and predictability. (i.e.-Sean's momma's so fat every time she walks in front of the TV I miss two episodes of my favorite show!)

I thought fingh's initial post was pretty inoffensive. (shrug)

The rest of his comments weren't.

However, in this case, I like the premise and the art and I can't wait to see where it goes.

What's that Mike? You didn't leave a 1200 page diatribe about why you love the art and premise? You must be PUMPING things up for Ebay!

hansfranz1.jpg

One poster suggested that posts like this might be from a sense of jealousy or regret at having missed the series. Another put me on ignore. lol

I'm not sure... should we simply not post if we are underwhelmed by a series? Is there no room for a reasonable counter viewpoint? I thought fingh's initial post was pretty inoffensive. (shrug)

No, you can clearly state your opinions and I'll state mine. :foryou: But when you get personal on my motives for posting in this thread or other like minded threads... well than you start a whole different discussion.

Edited by whetteon

No, you can clearly state your opinions and I'll state mine. :foryou: But when you get personal on my motives for posting in this thread or other like minded threads... well than you start a whole different discussion.

Fair enough. (thumbs u

BTW, love the website and the updates. Much appreciated!