• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

I wanted one of these but two books in is way too soon to see $300+ value in it. I don't see it holding that high unless a show or movie is announced soon.

I agree with Pie. I love this book, and really thought about pulling the trigger. But at the end of the day, I can't justify the price tag. :(

All I have to say is one word:

"ASHCAN"

In my grubby paws as I type this. In fact both ashcans: the NYCC 4 page test print and the SDCC full ashcan. The holy grails of five ghosts. As an additional surprise, they slipped an ECCC unnumbered/unsigned into the mix as well. I'm gonna pass out I'm so excited!!!!!!! Three of the coolest things I could ever expect on Free Comic Book Day.

To the superhuman and extraordinary individual that provided these for me, I give you 1,000,000 thanks and even that is not enough. I simply don't have words. You know exactly who you are and I am indebted to you.

Right now I'm going to roll around naked in piles of comic books.

Gimme a bit and I'll get up some pics.....I promise. :)

Just doin' the 'anniversary thing' with the wife. You know how those things go.

As soon as I heard there was an ashcan I started trying to track one down too. Very excited to see the pics when you get a chance to post them. Obviously, take your time with the wife (happy anniversary). :)

Alright....in spite of the fact it's probably not in the best interest of my marital life, I can't resist putting up a few pics...(plus my gal is all dizzy/sleepy from Prosecco and dinner!....so I've got some room to maneuver):

Firstly, the NYCC Ashcan four page preview and the SDCC Ashcan share the same cover and back, so I'll show a picture of either but there's no reason to pump duplicate pictures here. You'll notice the blue circle with "NUMBER ONE OF FIVE" as well as the "IMAGE" logo are both conspicuously missing:

P1010001.jpg

The first few color pages of the regular print are there in the NYCC, but then transition to black and white:

P1010002.jpg

One more page and then the back inside cover (edited b/c I'm not sure Frank or Chris wants those email addresses public anymore):

P1010003edit.jpg

The enigmatic back cover of the NYCC:

P1010004.jpg

To be continued...in the SDCC Ashcan.....

Cue the John Williams music...

And now the SDCC...we'll cut right to the chase with some of the inner pictures. There's alot of extra five ghosts goodness in this ashcan:

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

The panel on the left is also found in the ECCC edition:

P1010007.jpg

Warning: Extreme coolness about to follow (especially the panel on the right!)

P1010008.jpg

Yet more five ghosts SDCC inside treats for your sweet tooth:

P1010009.jpg

Some character designs hidden betwixt the pages of the SDCC:

P1010010.jpg

Last page before inside back cover with Ghost Stories (same deal, edited for Frank's privacy) :

P1010012edit.jpg

thanks for showing, these 2 books are so cool

:thumbsup: My pleasure to both have these rarities and to be able to share them with the folks here at the CGC forums!

The Five Ghost ECCC variant is suppose to be around 200 copies and yet I see at least 3 on eBay and know where I can get another 5 if the market suddenly got hot. Can this issue be really all that rare? hm

I think you already answered your question my brotha. There are "about 200": meaning I believe there were a few additional comps. That said, a huge amount of those 200 are going to be "qualified" green labels, and we've already seen that happen with prior submissions of those numbered but not signed as well as numbered and signed slabs. There are a few blue labels that have been registered, but the vast majority of the others I've seen are yellow labeled. I believe Frank previously stated precisely how many there were, but my guess: absolutely no more than 400 and I'm being generous. I actually believe the number is closer to 300. If you want a definitive answer, you'll have to go back into the thread here and look at Frank's responses. In fact, I'll do that later when I have a bit of time. No sense in quoting hypothetical numbers.

As far as it's being "hot", some of the slabs have been PGX and I stay away from that like they've got the clap. The qualified ones are in the same bowl of soup for me and I've got a yellow as well as an unslabbed unsigned/unnumbered. I think that some folks are still on the fence about if this is going to be an ongoing title. It's still being treated like a 'mini'. I guess the verdict is still out for alot of people also regarding not only that but if they want to stick with the title.

I happen to believe that it's an ongoing and from what I've been told directly that's what's happening. There's already been internal discussion of it between Frank/Chris and the powers that be. That said, it's going to ultimately depend on the sales. If things go south, I'd say expect this mini to be it. If sales stay where they're at and increase you've got yourself an ongoing. Simple math in my mind.

I love the title and the folks behind it. I'm a fan and I'll buy every issue that hits the stands.

As far as you being able to obtain a few more, keep me in mind if you're going to be liberating any of those ECCCs. I'd rather be on the first in line list than the too late one.

Just for yucks I took a gander at Ebay to find those ECCCs you were talking about:

UNSLABBED QUALIFIED POTENTIAL GREEN LABEL COMIC:

FIVE GHOSTS #1 ECCC EXCLUSIVE VARIANT SIGNED BY FRANK J BARBIERE LIMITED #61/200:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-GHOSTS-1-ECCC-EXCLUSIVE-VARIANT-SIGNED-BY-FRANK-J-BARBIERE-LIMITED-61-200-/251268752499?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a80c8e473

STARTING BID: $100.00

SLABBED YELLOW LABEL:

Five Ghosts #1 ECCC Variant CGC 9.8 Signature Series 14/200 Frank Barbiere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Ghosts-1-ECCC-Variant-CGC-9-8-Signature-Series-14-200-Frank-Barbiere-/251268211213?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a80c0a20d

ASKING $285.00

SLABBED QUALIFIED GREEN LABEL:

Five Ghosts #1 ECCC Convention Variant CGC 9.8 Unsigned Qualified

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Ghosts-1-ECCC-Convention-Variant-CGC-9-8-Unsigned-Qualified-/111064281022?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19dbf26fbe

ASKING: $274.00

So there you have the current Ebay offerings above (I didn't see others).

TWO GREENS AND A YELLOW.

No blues to speak of. The few that were previously sold literally slipped through the cracks. That one that went for $100 should have eclipsed any of these asking prices and could have been in the $300+ range for sure as evidenced by prior sales. Some funny auctions that ended in 1 day or were quickie BINs prevented them from gaining steam.

The Five Ghost ECCC variant is suppose to be around 200 copies and yet I see at least 3 on eBay and know where I can get another 5 if the market suddenly got hot. Can this issue be really all that rare? hm

hm I'd love to pick up a raw copy or two, preferably if they're not numbered and if the price is right, of course. You say you have access to five of them? That's great!

Three on the bay is not a high number at all, and by my count less than 40 have been sold on eBay, but I could be wrong. Additionally, the three that are up right now, one is raw, one yellow and one green. A blue label 9.8 sold for $315 a few days ago!

Frank Barbieri mentioned on a post a while back that he only printed 210 copies of the ECCC variant, so as far as it being "rare" it all depends on if you think 210 copies of a comic book qualifies it as that.