• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would cause this?

11 posts in this topic

I have never noticed this on a book but it may be common. This is a golden age book - National Comics #41. There are five or so pages that are white while the remaining other pages are cr-ow. The pics below don't really show how white these pages are but there is an obvious difference in the color.

The whiter pages are not all in sequence and not the same printed sheet. I took a couple of pics. If you look closely at the first pic, you can not only see the splash is whiter but also a page toward the front of the book.

E4040CD1-7DF7-4F57-BCB8-21FBE7135AE6-2207-0000032DA5FFD229_zpse393d683.jpg

BD80DD91-75BB-47F0-8F43-1941D0FBE87F-2207-0000032D892C0455_zpsde83d235.jpg

Since it's not consistent throughout the book I'd say that it's just a matter of different paper being used for the different wraps. They could be from different batches of pulp or just different quality. Remember the Pink pages on Fox books?

Some GA books that I've seen have varying quality within a single book when it comes to pages - I had a Superman book (I think either 11 or 21) whose inner three/four wraps were shorter and cut jaggedly (saw toothed) while the rest of the book was perfectly fine.

I've seen that before. Like a number of GA books - the paper in that copy appears to have a high fiber content - with visible specks of pulp on the page. I wouldn't be surprised if ph level and chemical content varies from page to page affecting the speed with which they yellow differently.

Married copy???

I doubt it's married. No sign of disassembly. Everything seems intact to this book and it isn't a highly collected title nor issue. Also they are not centerfold wraps where it would be easier to do. I think it as mentioned above, just different paper qualities for some of the wraps.

I may send it. I think it is a solid mid grade copy - still not that valuable but would be curious to see what it grades and what PQ it is assigned.

I've seen that before. Like a number of GA books - the paper in that copy appears to have a high fiber content - with visible specks of pulp on the page. I wouldn't be surprised if ph level and chemical content varies from page to page affecting the speed with which they yellow differently.

Doubt that it's a chemical reaction - probably different paper stock.

Books are paginated in different ways, depending on the page count.

pagination24_1_zps1e095d51.jpg

Depending on the printing press, the paper could be coming off of one roll or several. If one roll was older (even by only a couple of weeks) the unprinted paper can be discolored quite a bit.

That's my guess. :whatev: