• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variant? posted by Udidar

8 posts in this topic

Is it really?

I am just wondering about variant comics. I see all the time at mycomicshop all these Mark Jeweller variants that they are trying to peddle for three or four hundred percent more then the normal version. Mark Jewellers is just an advertisement in the comic. Do people actually consider this a variant and if so does CGC note that when they are grading? I have no intention of going for them as I don't consider them to be variants. Just wondering what others think.

See more journals by Udidar

I do consider them variant because...

like the cents variants, the MJ books are only offer at specific selected locations.

It is not as if they put out 10 copies with MJ, 10 copies of 30 cents and 400 copies of 25 cents at the same store like they are doing today with the variants at all the LCS.

Is it really?

I am just wondering about variant comics. I see all the time at mycomicshop all these Mark Jeweller variants that they are trying to peddle for three or four hundred percent more then the normal version. Mark Jewellers is just an advertisement in the comic. Do people actually consider this a variant and if so does CGC note that when they are grading? I have no intention of going for them as I don't consider them to be variants. Just wondering what others think.

See more journals by Udidar

CGC does note it on the label.The Mark Jewellers insert is on a fairly stiff piece of paper stock - so often the books are a little nicer.They are a fairly limited variant, as they only went in books that were to be sold at military bases at the exchange (at least that is my understanding)...so books from the Mildenhall collection are almost all Mark Jewellers books.Lee K

Got a few Mark Jeweler Turoks from mycomicshop a year or so back and had them graded. Fairly fullfilling back then especially as I was in the midst of trying to complete my set. In hindsight I guess its all about priorities and budget, and just how far one would like to be a 'completist'.

(Personally, I prefer searching for cover price variants for some of my Dell and Gold Key Turoks; much more difficult to complete in mid-high grade from experience)