• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help a newb with shill bidding education...

14 posts in this topic

Searched and found tons of topics with people spelling out shill bids. Is there a certain method to determine if shills are in play? I've bidded (and won a couple) elfquest CGC books on the bay; every elfquest CGC this individual has put up recently has a person with r**k bidding it up but never winning (history of 6 wins). This person bid up a Elfquest 9.2 CGC, a Elfquest CGC 9.4, a Elfquest #2 9.6 (which I won), an Elfquest CGC 9.4 (I also ended up winning), and finally an Elfquest #1 9.4 that is still active. I stopped bidding because of this. Of course, it could just be another Elfquest fan that is interested in the same books as I am...that is probably more likely since the seller has perfect ebay record. However, I'm just a little curious and would appreciate a little education as well. Thanks!! (PS: I did love the books the seller sent to me and I'm very happy with the purchase)

Elfquest #1 CGC 9.4

It's not rocket science. Look at the bidding history, then take notice and observe any unusual stats about any bidders. ex. bidder f****d has 0 feedback and a low number of bids he's most likely the seller's 2nd account or whatever shilling up his book. That's the only way that I know of...i'm sure throughout time though ppl have figured out other ways

If you click on the link of the name in bid history you'll see feedback, but also bid-history with seller.

I could be wrong, but a very low feedback with 100% bid-history with the seller and I'd suspect a shill account.

So r**k likely a shill.

The two more recent bids less likely.

You can check on a bidders percentage of bids with a seller, to help gain some insight as to if the bidder is a shill. Find an auction with quite a few bids, and click on the number of bids. if a bidder has more than one bid click on the bidders id, A****B for example. A report will show up detailing the last 30 days bidding history of the bidder, including the "Bid activity (%) with this seller". If this figure is more than 50% you can be pretty sure the bidder is a shill.

A report will show up detailing the last 30 days bidding history of the bidder, including the "Bid activity (%) with this seller". If this figure is more than 50% you can be pretty sure the bidder is a shill.

I don't agree with this. I do at least 50% of my eBay purchasing through the same seller, and I don't think that's unusual.

50% is way too low a figure to be pretty sure of shilling.

And sometimes a 'shill' is a mate.

They win - the buyer/seller can agree to cancel transaction.

Some detectives only see what they want to see sometimes.

The easiest approach is as follows:

Bid the most you are willing to pay. If it goes higher - walk away.

Simples.

Simples.

Still a shill, though, right? In ye olden days, this was sometimes referred to as "White Knighting" -- bidding on a friend's book to keep it from selling at too low a price. The result is still to screw the legit bidders.

A report will show up detailing the last 30 days bidding history of the bidder, including the "Bid activity (%) with this seller". If this figure is more than 50% you can be pretty sure the bidder is a shill.

I don't agree with this. I do at least 50% of my eBay purchasing through the same seller, and I don't think that's unusual.

50% is way too low a figure to be pretty sure of shilling.

It was just a "ballpark" figure, no intent to implicate anyone. I can recall from a year or two back for a certain seller, the same book would appear week after week. The same bidder would also appear, with a very low feedback I might add. The bid activity percent in this case was close to 100%. ??? It reminded me of a shark and his pilot fish.

Simples.

Still a shill, though, right? In ye olden days, this was sometimes referred to as "White Knighting" -- bidding on a friend's book to keep it from selling at too low a price. The result is still to screw the legit bidders.

Absolutely mate - just pointing out it can be 2 people,not just the seller with multiple accounts (thumbs u